Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I do not understand this assertion. It is not that Cingular and T-Mobile do not want their customers to have Wi-Fi. It is that they do not want anyone's customers to have it. I have an unlocked GSM Treo. I use it on Cingular. If I had Wi-Fi, it would compete with Cingular. Cingular uses its influence with Palm to ensure that, while it may be available on non-phone Palm devices, it is not available on any Treos.
    You are probably right - which makes me more interested in the world phone models (such as the i-Mate products) where WiFi in an unlocked quad-band GSM phone is a reality. Freedom does have its price ($100 - $300 depending upon the model) but that is always the case.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez
    As far as I'm concerned, all Palm needs to do is add memory and EVDO to the 650 to make the 700p worthwhile. WiFi would be nice, but if you have unlimited data and with wireless bandwidth increasing, it is not absolutely necessary.
    Having these conditions met would be the ONLY way I would ever consider going back to a Treo. But I still feel that Wifi needs to either included or at the very least supported. Here are all of my reasons why I feel that should be.

Due to the free services that WM05 and Exchange offer for push email, I think that if I did, it would have to be the 700w and not the 700p.
    I will be moving to WM05 once my 650 is dead. I purposely have not spent a lot of money on Palm apps. knowing that I will make the move to the dark side eventually. And I know it will not be a 700w.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I want wifi so I can access my home network.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Uhh... why? Seriously, if the next gen palmos Treo has 1xEvDo, then why do you care about wifi at all? You will have basically the same bandwidth via either radio so who cares?
    Uhh... why do you ask why? I've seen more then a couple posts on here explaining why we want WiFi. Here's my personal reason:

To directly answer your question, Because I WILL NOT have the same bandwidth via either radio. Not for unlimited data usage, not for a reasonable price. I'm tired of spending $50 for unlimited data usage in Canada for very slow speeds (oh and by the way, that isn't even available for new customers, now you pay $100 for about 100 megs a month) Because I don't HAVE the high speed options available you guys do. Because EVDO or whatever the newest one is isn't available around the world. I plan on traveling to Japan next year for a month, and want to update friends / familiy via a blog. I have a Treo. Basically my Treo over there will be useless. If It Had WiFi I would'nt be in this boat. If the new Treo isn't out / doesn't have WiFi, then bye bye Palm, you don't fill my needs, hello Windowz.

Sorry if I seem annoyed... but honestly, just because you have the wonders of High Speed for massively low prices, doesn't mean the entire world is in your boat. And some people actually like going to places outside EvDo range, where WiFi may exist. I wish I did'nt have to care about WiFi, but I do. Why is it so hard to understand why I want WiFi? Not offering WiFi to me is short sighted, and is another reason people have to switch to your competition who does offer it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I will be moving to WM05 once my 650 is dead. I purposely have not spent a lot of money on Palm apps. knowing that I will make the move to the dark side eventually. And I know it will not be a 700w.
    That's great. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I should be sharing too.
    Ummmmm...
    I like Australia. Yer flag's nifty.
    Whew. I feel better.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Exactly. Slinky is just a troll. Best not to feed it.

I think he/she is a Palm critic and Windows lover. Not necessarily a troll, just someone not in love with Palm anymore.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I think he/she is a Palm critic and Windows lover. Not necessarily a troll, just someone not in love with Palm anymore.
    BLASPHEMY!!!

Everyone loves PALM!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I find that close and simple minded fanatics call anyone who doesn't share their blind, idealistic optimism a troll.

I'm not a windows lover. I personally didn't like the i600 implementation of the Smartphone and moved back to the Treo. I'm someone who spent a great deal of money on Palm products and a Verizon contract and has a right to demand a reasonable return on my investment. Unfortunately we've gone from companies providing quality service to a goal of providing you as little as possible to get you stuck for more. These days instead of seeing who can offer you the best service you have to spend more time reading the fine print and between the lines to discover what the marketing department really intends when it sells you something. This happens more often than not unfortunately.

What I am glad about is that on the Windows side there seems to be a major push in innovation, part of that is to break the Palm stronghold and take advantage of their sitting on their a$$e$ for years and letting the competition catch up. That excites me. I've seen very little from Palm over the years that qualifies as major excitement. 64 MB of RAM eventually?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Exactly. Slinky is just a troll. Best not to feed it.
    Yeah, jump on the bandwagon (I wonder if you understood what he was talking about other than saying positive things about Palm.)

Quote Originally Posted by rvwink
    The way to measure who is winning and who is losing is not whether or not a buyer has options. It all relates to market share. Palm, at last measurement, had 31% of the North American market. Rimm had 55%, but that was mainly in the enterprise, and primarily as a push email device. The remaining 15% was split 3 or 4 ways plus a miscellaneous group. So there is no way that the options you are looking at have any significant market share. In short, Palm is positively dominant in the North American smartphone market with prosumers. So calling the management team that is rapdily gaining market share on the rest of the market, "stupid", reflects poorly on the intelligence of he who denigrates them.
    To begin, are you aware of which market is the most lucrative? Second, just because they have a lead in market share now, what was the percentage years ago compared to today? What about the bottom line? "Stupid" is one calling other people stupid when they only look at one statistic out of context and claim that it is all important.
    Slinky: there are many things that I agree with you on (i.e. Palm not keeping up). I usually see an issue in how you convey your message (i.e. sweeping generalizations). I don't see you as a troll...just someone who may need to refine their message. :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    BLASPHEMY!!!

Everyone loves PALM!

Apparently not from reading some people's posts. And Slinky's not the only one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Slinky: there are many things that I agree with you on (i.e. Palm not keeping up). I usually see an issue in how you convey your message (i.e. sweeping generalizations). I don't see you as a troll...just someone who may need to refine their message. :-)
    LOL... well put.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    It should be clear to everyone that Wi-Fi on the Treo is not going to happen. Even if it were not for the power problem, the carriers do not want it. I repeat, the carriers do not want it. We concluded on TC a long time ago that Palm is designing to the requirements of the carriers, not end users.

Eh... I don't think so anymore. If that was true, then why are the carriers supporting all the various other devices with integrated wifi like the 6700 etc? I think now, the lack of wifi in the Treo is more a factor from within Palm than anything else...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Two points:

(1) Palm's ***** decision -- in the 700W, WiFi is an add-on. Thus Palm thinks it can price point the 700 the *same* as other "PDA-phones" AND make a killing on the huge margin producing an SD card with WiFi. (a) Many who use WiFi won't miss factoring the $100+ accessory into the cost, and (b) by several reports the WiFi card is flaky and doesn't compare to internal, hardwired WiFi components, and (c) If you only have 64MB of RAM in PPC, then you freaking NEED to have your SD slot occupied to store items. How STUPID is that design?
    Don't worry, the enfora sled will still be there!

(2) The only dumb-@$$ carrier is Verizon, who spent massive amounts of money on WiFi access all over New York City (I have a collector's item T-Shirt) and then cut it so that its ***** Internet division can start firing marketing bullets at WiFi providers with the campaign "WiFi sucks because EV-DO is everywhere, not just at Starbucks" that is working to some feeble extent. Problem for them is that for corporate IT managers, it's their job it is to know the difference and not be suckered.
    Dude chill... The reason it's Verizon is b/c it was they who initially pushed Palm to do a WM Treo in the first place! Go back and watch the Palm Treo700w press coverage to verify this. As a reslut they're the first ones to get it for an exclusive period. Eventually it will come out on other carrriers though...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <wifi topics split and merged with this thread >

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

Dude chill... The reason it's Verizon is b/c it was they who initially pushed Palm to do a WM Treo in the first place! Go back and watch the Palm Treo700w press coverage to verify this. As a reslut they're the first ones to get it for an exclusive period. Eventually it will come out on other carrriers though...
    I just couldn't resist - was that a Freudian slip, or what?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Don't worry, the enfora sled will still be there!

The sled... that's a good one.

Regarding Verizon, my comments had nothing to do with the 700W specific. It's just their ***** marketing tactic. They could have made a fortune with WiFi -- they had it set up via hundreds of payphones located outside numerous cafes and popular areas. Instead they've been trying to beat down WiFi with EVDO while watching others like tMobile, Boingo, and numerous other providers beat them silly...
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    The sled... that's a good one.

Regarding Verizon, my comments had nothing to do with the 700W specific. It's just their ***** marketing tactic. They could have made a fortune with WiFi -- they had it set up via hundreds of payphones located outside numerous cafes and popular areas. Instead they've been trying to beat down WiFi with EVDO while watching others like tMobile, Boingo, and numerous other providers beat them silly...
    No kidding! About 50-70% of the people in my neighborhood coffee shop chain(no, not Starbucks this time) at any given time are using wi-fi connections to get some work done! It's almost the sole reason people sit down inside, from what I have seen.

No kidding! About 50-70% of the people in my neighborhood coffee shop chain(no, not Starbucks this time) at any given time are using wi-fi connections to get some work done! It's almost the sole reason people sit down inside, from what I have seen.
    Digital applications or analog, data or voice, laptop or handheld?