Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    First -- tgungho, I agree with you that the option is good but it really isn't an option! As I mentioned, you'll have to dump your essential SD card. In addition, those add-ons were never that good and given the choice between the two and the price it's a no-brainer.
    It's an option for those that don't have to use the sd card for program storage (plus I thought there was a 256mb wifi combo card...granted there might not be drivers for this yet...but since its ppc, it probably won't take to long.

Second -- WiFi is here to stay and carriers can either put their fingers in their ears or deal with the technology. New York is even putting in more free WiFi infrastructure (the entire Bryant park area has free WiFi) as are other cities. There is a difference also as mentioned that WiFi is NOT the same as EVDO which is not an alternative to WiFi. Each has different usages, WiFi dealing with private/corporate networks.
    No argument there...Im a wifi proponent. Newport Beach is putting in a wifi triangle to cover most of the city (at least they got the money and plans put in place. )

Lady Treo -- It's a damn good question why Verizon spent so much for their hotspots all over New York only to shut them off. I'm guessing that with their ***** "T-Mobile limits you to Starbucks" campaign so consumers would buy EVDO instead. Now that may be only $10 per month more for EVDO's "unlimited wireless" capabilities but it's also a whopping $50 more for laptop access (it's $80). Sure we'd like that "freedom" but I think Verizon is going about this all wrong and they couldn't push out their own WiFi Internet without cutting into their EVDO sales. Thus, stupid decisionmaking means that they will allow competitors to sell WiFi that they won't. Whatever.
    Who cares about verizon (Im on sprint. )
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    My understanding is that Sprint offers Wi-Fi to its enterprise customers. They offer a plan where you use Wi-Fi on the enterprise campus to connect to the APBX to Sprint LD. When you leave the campus, the phone automatically switches to the Sprint CDMA network. However, the Wi-Fi works only with the enterprise Wi-Fi. It does not work with arbitrary Wi-Fi hotspots.
    Thanks...I hadn't heard about this.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree with most of what you have said except this part? Why do you think it's Palm that doesnt want us to have wifi with the treo and not the cellphone carriers? It's not really an issue of not being able to right? (because there are other 'palms' that have wifi but rather that the cellphone carriers do not want the consumer to have the option of using wifi and not buying a data plan.)

(Granted-it may be stupid from a consumer point of view but the carriers are probably paying big bucks to get what they want.)
    Well, then WHY isn't WiFi integrated into the unlocked, unbranded Treo 650's with GSM radios?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Well, then WHY isn't WiFi integrated into the unlocked, unbranded Treo 650's with GSM radios?
    Because the 650 doesn't have WiFi hardware (as opposed to having it, but it being crippled, like BT was).
    LOL....I'm sitting in the Ft. Lauderdale airport surfing this...........on FREEEEEEE WIFI!!!
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    LOL....I'm sitting in the Ft. Lauderdale airport surfing this...........on FREEEEEEE WIFI!!!
    Using what?
    Two points:

(1) Palm's ***** decision -- in the 700W, WiFi is an add-on. Thus Palm thinks it can price point the 700 the *same* as other "PDA-phones" AND make a killing on the huge margin producing an SD card with WiFi. <snip>
    This is an assumption...and IMHO a flawed one.

The truth is, we have NO idea why Palm isn't including WiFi. It could be pressure from the carriers, a cost cutting measure, or maybe their engineers are just too stupid to get it to work w/ 2 other radios in the phone (doubtful, but a remote posibility.) All this conjecture as to why is dumb since we have nothing to back it up.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Good question...I wouldnt be surprised if that wasn't contracted for. Imagine for a second that only the unbranded GSM treo had built in wifi. Which carriers would benefit and which would lose out?

The truth is, we have NO idea why Palm isn't including WiFi. It could be pressure from the carriers, a cost cutting measure, or maybe their engineers are just too stupid to get it to work w/ 2 other radios in the phone (doubtful, but a remote posibility.) All this conjecture as to why is dumb since we have nothing to back it up.
    That said, Palm can end the conjecture and speculation any time it wants to. This discussion has been going on for more than two years. Palm has chosen silence. I think they laugh themselves to sleep every night. They enjoy our angst.
    Lady Treo -- It's a damn good question why Verizon spent so much for their hotspots all over New York only to shut them off. I'm guessing that with their ***** "T-Mobile limits you to Starbucks" campaign so consumers would buy EVDO instead. Now that may be only $10 per month more for EVDO's "unlimited wireless" capabilities but it's also a whopping $50 more for laptop access (it's $80). Sure we'd like that "freedom" but I think Verizon is going about this all wrong and they couldn't push out their own WiFi Internet without cutting into their EVDO sales. Thus, stupid decisionmaking means that they will allow competitors to sell WiFi that they won't. Whatever.

And again, LT, WiFi is not just for "part time users" and EVDO for "heavy users." WiFi is for anyone that uses a Treo locally with a private network in any fashion. Heavy users who need instant access to email and are using the Treo as a Blackberry alternative will opt for EVDO.
    My apology. I should have said users who like to get on the internet without lugging around a laptop, but don't do it all day long, benefit more from wi-fi than expensive EVDO plans. That's more what I was thinking of. Now the private network could apply to even more people, so yes I agree with you!

Replying to your top statement, I still think Verzion should have just done what T-mobile does, sell both wi-fi and their own internet access. Just as you said, those who need to be connected all the time would probably sign up for the plan.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And yet many here perceive it as a "free" alternative to paying a carrier for data. (It is true that cheap Wi-Fi may drive dear Wi-Fi from the market but it clearly has not happened yet.)
    Yes, freedom from high data rates and contracts! Pay per use works for me! You can get it for $4-$6 per use(depends on carrier). And there are still free spots in Chicago. That one place you mentioned though is out of control with it's prices. But like I've said before, if you're connected all day long, it probably IS cheaper to sign up for a plan.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

But I think we ARE allowed to speculate, since Palm has no problem putting wi-fi on their stand alone PDAs.

That said, Palm can end the conjecture and speculation any time it wants to. This discussion has been going on for more than two years. Palm has chosen silence. I think they laugh themselves to sleep every night. They enjoy our angst.
    Why would a large corporation come out and reveal the inside conversations that occured between their departments and executives? Why do they care to answer the question of the minority of their customers that surf this site? Palm has done well with the Treo w/o WiFi. There is no need for them to answer anything. (But I do still wish it had WiFi.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    But I think we ARE allowed to speculate, since Palm has no problem putting wi-fi on their stand alone PDAs.
    Sure, but it makes little difference. If I were to speculate, in this order:

1) Cost cutting measure to reach a certain price point
    Just because another manufacturer can hit a certain price point w/ all those features doesn't mean Palm can do it w/ their current form factor. Maybe that manufacturer did it by cutting some corners in materials and Palm doesn't feel that's a route they wanted to go. But hey, that's just speculation on my part.

2) Pressure from carriers
    When the PPC-6600 came out and Verizon had WiFi and Sprint didn't, I felt like Sprint really didn't want WiFi in their PDA phones. More likely was that Sprint valued the camera more and chose to trade WiFi over the camera to stick to a certain price point (Verizon version didn't have camera IIRC....can't have both and keep it affordable.)

3) Engineering issues
    For the longest time, CDMA phones didn't have BT because of engineering issues. Somehow, they finally figured it out. Either way, I recall my friend in Samsung R&A had mentioned in the past the challenges of getting 3 radios to work in such a small device without interfering with each other.

Anyway, so I've speculated and it may be none of these. But I seriously doubt it was some devious plot by Palm to make you buy an SD WiFi card. But I really want a POS device w/ BT 1.2, WiFi, and Sprint. Who knows if I'll ever get it.
    Hmm, I wonder how Sprint will handle EVDO and tethering pricing on a 700P. Apparently the new system can and will monitor EVDO tethering.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    1) Cost cutting measure to reach a certain price point
    Just because another manufacturer can hit a certain price point w/ all those features doesn't mean Palm can do it w/ their current form factor. Maybe

2) Pressure from carriers
    When the PPC-6600 came out and Verizon had WiFi and Sprint didn't, I felt like Sprint really didn't want WiFi in their PDA phones. More likely was that

3) Engineering issues
    For the longest time, CDMA phones didn't have BT because of engineering issues. Somehow, they finally figured it out. Either way, I recall my friend in

Anyway, so I've speculated and it may be none of these. But I seriously doubt it was some devious plot by Palm to make you buy an SD WiFi card. But I really want a POS device w/ BT 1.2, WiFi, and Sprint. Who knows if I'll ever get it.
    I've snipped part of your posts for brevity but I think you make some good points. I don't agree with your conclusion though. I think there is no question that there was discussion about whether or not to include WiFi in the phone INCLUDING the capacity to include it in a stick and resulting potential revenues. There is no question in my mind that Palm and the carriers probably bantied these ideas back and forth, Palm possibly making the Treos appear "cheaper" perhaps than other phones, etc. I'm sure this was discussed. Regardless, I'm incredibly irate that there will still be no WiFi drivers for 650 owners. Why? Because Palm believes you'll spend $$$$ on yet another phone and providers want to suck you into another 2 year contract to get it.
    I've snipped part of your posts for brevity but I think you make some good points. I don't agree with your conclusion though. I think there is no question that there was discussion about whether or not to include WiFi in the phone INCLUDING the capacity to include it in a stick and resulting potential revenues. There is no question in my mind that Palm and the carriers probably bantied these ideas back and forth, Palm possibly making the Treos appear "cheaper" perhaps than other phones, etc. I'm sure this was discussed. Regardless, I'm incredibly irate that there will still be no WiFi drivers for 650 owners. Why? Because Palm believes you'll spend $$$$ on yet another phone and providers want to suck you into another 2 year contract to get it.
    Yes? And how many generations of phones that do not have this feature might one buy while waiting for it?
    So, it's December. Where's the beef? I WANT MY 700P WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    So, it's December. Where's the beef? I WANT MY 700P WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
    No kidding. Where is this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    February 22, 2006 . . . . Sprint 700p . . . .

Really, nothing firm other than 1st Q 2006. However, I do believe.

(In the 700p. . . . . but not in December.)

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Don't you know Palmese yet? In Palm speak 101, the first thing you learn is if they say Dec 05, that translates to Q3 06.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast