1.    #1  
    I'm getting a Blackberry from my company, and it may be able to handle my most essential needs...maybe. My wife wants to take my Treo650, and I kinda prematurely said she could have it. Now I'm wondering if I should get another Treo as my personal phone. Another 650 would be too much $, so I was thinking the older 600 should be less of an impact on the wallet. :-) I've never used a 600 before, but I've seen the screen and I can live with it. Has anyone ever done this? I love my 650 and use it mostly for emails managing my Outlook with Agendus. I'm hoping the BB can take over those most important needs. Apps like Aeroplayer, Verichat, DocsToGo, Repligo, PasswordPlus, Blazer, and LJP would be the reasons I would still want to keep a Treo. I don't think I would want a separate Palm device again, so a 600 would be able to fill that void right?
    As a 22 month T600 user I would have to say you would be happy with it. I have played around with the 650 and believe it is not worth the cost of upgrading. From reading posts here at TC, it looks like there are just as many problems with the T650 as with the T600. I use a lot of different apps (pTunes, Verichat, DocsToGo, Blazer, etc...) and have been very happy with the performance of them. Here are the main differences you'll notice between the 600 and 650:

Screen: The screen is amazing on the 650. It would be one of the only reasons I would have upgraded. You said you can live with the lower res screen so this shouldn't bother you.

EDGE (If you have GSM) - EDGE is faster than the GPRS but I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the speed. I have no problem with my email, verichat, or blazer and I still stream music through pocket tunes (at a slower bit rate than with EDGE, but it still works fine). I would like to see the next Treo support the higher speed network that Cingular is working on.

Keyboard- The buttons are smaller on the 600 but this never bothered me.

Bluetooth- I think Palm dropped the ball on the bluetooth they put in the 650. It's an older version. I would be more inclined to upgrade if the bluetooth was better (ie supporting bluetooth stereo headphones or streaming stereo audio to other bluetooth devices).

Removable battery - This is not an issue for me, but if you travel a lot and rely on a second battery, this may be an issue for you. Swapping the battery on the 600 requires opening the handset and voiding your warranty.

There are some other smaller differences but these are the ones I could think of right now. I usually don't wait for the "next best thing" to come out (because you'll be waiting forever) but I am in this case. I don't think the T650 is a great upgrade to the T600 but everyone's needs are different. If you can get over the major differences, then I assure you that you'll be pleased with the performance of the 600. I'm hoping the next palm based treo is a much bigger step up, in which case I'll upgrade.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I don't think EDGE is a factor between the 600 and 650, is it? It's carrier/location dependent, right?
    Treo 650 & T-Mobile
    I don't think the 600 is available anymore, unless you get a used one.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5.    #5  
    phattysalz, thank you for your input. I've gone from GPRS to EDGE on T-Mobile and it really hasn't made a dramatic difference for how I use the Treo. Emails and IM work pretty much the same. Web pages that I visit are usually WAP or optimized for simpler browsers so it isn't too much of improvement there either. Pages with images are definitely faster to load, but I usually avoid those. I think I will get a 600. Maybe I can convince my wife to take the 600 instead of the 650. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrtype
    I think I will get a 600. Maybe I can convince my wife to take the 600 instead of the 650. :-)
    LOL-don't let her see the screen
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    Screen: The screen is amazing on the 650. It would be one of the only reasons I would have upgraded. You said you can live with the lower res screen so this shouldn't bother you.
    My biggest problem with the 600.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrtype
    I think I will get a 600. Maybe I can convince my wife to take the 600 instead of the 650. :-)
    I convinced my wife.