Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Can this be a sign of an incoming 700 P? I won't be surprized if we hear by the end of this week that Sprint is going to provide EVDO Treo exclusivly for three month, starting November 24th.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000997065749/

Looks like Sprintís Power Vision site is a go, and damn if they arenít extremely competitive with Verizonís own EV-DO service. So competitive, in fact, Sprint apparently managed to undercut Verizon by multiples of price with their EV-DO services.
    Does it package the MobiTV or it has its own version of TV streaming?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Sounds like its own version to me.
    Basically Sprint is not charging you anything extra for having EVDO service.

Why is Verizon so evil?
    Sprint kicks ****
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    So lemmie get this straight.... you guys will get unlimited EVDO for $15 a month... meanwhile the only unlimited plan available to us Canadians is on a crappy provider for $50, and is slower then dog... stuff. And it's not even offered anymore for new customers.

I think I'm ready to be invaded by the US now
    How is it that Engadget always breaks stories about everything? Seems like anything that's about to happen, Engadget is the 1st one with the story.

You talk about being connected!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapman
    I think I'm ready to be invaded by the US now

New Canadian Flag

View Here
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Why is Verizon so evil?
    Because they can be. The relative positions of Verizon and Sprint in the marketplace enables Verizon to command premium prices and forces Sprint to offer much better prices. If the tables were reversed, Sprint would be just as "evil".
    Verizon market share is not that much larger than Sprint-Nextel. Plus it's not the biggest carrier, Cingular is.
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/31/2005 at 04:43 PM.
    Wow...this is great news. I'm SO glad I'm month-to-month with Sprint right now. I never thought I'd upgrade anything after my T650, but with this deal,
    I just might. Come on, come on, Treo 700p!
    Where do you read anything about a new treo on there.
    The Treo EVDO 700p is a hidden Palm secret that we should be seeing around Q1 2006. We are months away for its release and it will make no sense to advertise it now since the Treo 650 is still selling. I am willing to wait until Q1 2006.

Al
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Verizon has the "best network" in the country according to several sources I have read. This means the largest coverage area and judged to be the "best quality" by independent survey firms. But the "best network" designation is dynamic. Each of the carriers is in a race to improve their networks in order to be able to cite their quality, charge higher prices, and gain market share. All of them TRY to cite superior quality but reality says that if it is true, you can charge more and gain market share by adding new subscribers, as opposed to buying another carrier (See Cingular & AT&T).

Disclaimer: I am not a Verizon subscriber, employee, or stock owner. In fact I don't much like Verizon's expensive plans and policies. I am a Cingular subscriber. Don't much like them either, but they have the best plan for MY needs.

From Forbes.com:

Verizon Wireless 'Continues To Take Share'
    Maya Roney, 09.20.05, 10:56 AM ET

Verizon Communications

Merrill Lynch anticipates strong growth in wireless subscribers in the third quarter, driven by back-to-school and family-plan additions.

After visiting 80 stores in five markets during August and September, the research firm said Verizon Wireless "continues to take share" and predicted another record quarter of net additions for the company. Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (nyse: VZ - news - people ) and Vodafone (nyse: VOD - news - people ).

Although Sprint Nextel's (nyse: S - news - people ) momentum appears to have slowed versus prior quarters, Merrill observed some RadioShack (nyse: RSH - news - people ) stores pushing Sprint over Verizon in anticipation of Cingular's replacement of Verizon in 2006. The firm maintained a "buy" rating and $30 price target on Sprint Nextel.

Merrill raised its net addition estimate for Verizon Wireless to 1.95 million from 1.8 million and lowered its net addition estimate for Sprint Nextel to 800,000 (direct only) from 900,000. It maintained estimates for Cingular Wireless (900,000), Deutsche Telekom (nyse: DT - news - people ) unit T-Mobile USA (800,000) and the industry. Cingular is a joint venture of SBC Communications (nyse: SBC - news - people ) and BellSouth (nyse: BLS - news - people ).

With regard to regional operators, Merrill said CDMA carriers such as Alltel (nyse: AYZ - news - people ) and United States Cellular (nyse: UZG - news - people ) are faring better than some of their GSM competitors.

"We think some of it could be a Verizon Wireless 'halo effect' on CDMA network quality, as well as TDMA/GSM migration," said the firm.

Merrill Lynch maintained a "buy" rating and $72 price target on Alltel and a "buy" rating and $65 price target on United States Cellular.
    Gee, I hate to be a party pooper, but I don'r read anyting here that implies a 700P. Sprint already has a Windows EVDO phone, and if they eventually add the 700W it gives them another.

Maybe we'll see an EVDO 700P, but this announcement sure doesn't prove it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Gee, I hate to be a party pooper, but I don'r read anyting here that implies a 700P. Sprint already has a Windows EVDO phone, and if they eventually add the 700W it gives them another.

Maybe we'll see an EVDO 700P, but this announcement sure doesn't prove it.
    No. No it doesn't. I will be the first one there if they offer one, and I truly hope they do, but nothing, let me repeat NOTHING indicates to me that they will.

No matter how many times that "Geddes" guy says otherwise.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    No. No it doesn't. I will be the first one there if they offer one, and I truly hope they do, but nothing, let me repeat NOTHING indicates to me that they will.

No matter how many times that "Geddes" guy says otherwise.
    My apologies to our friend Perry, but I agree. With so many WM5 and Windows Smartphone models popping out of HTC, HP, Samsung, Motorola, and now Palm iteslf, I just don't see a 700P, even if my local genius Cingular employees insist there's another Palm coming for Xmas.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    My apologies to our friend Perry, but I agree. With so many WM5 and Windows Smartphone models popping out of HTC, HP, Samsung, Motorola, and now Palm iteslf, I just don't see a 700P, even if my local genius Cingular employees insist there's another Palm coming for Xmas.
    Please understand, this isn't what I want. This is the exact opposite of what I want. It is, however, apparently the will of the people. Sheep. Sheep every last one of us.
    If we truly wanted to stand up for what we believe in we'd storm Microsoft HQ and demand revolution, but, alas, we are sheep.

Verily.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    A 700P would be very nice. But I really don't see a good palm device in the works. My opinion is the 650 might just be as "good as it gets". Palm has shown their inability to offer what the few Palm loyalists want. They only offer what they believe the market wants. As such, your votes in a place like this are the 1-5% that don't matter much as you are considered "already won over". If you were marketing a device, who would you market to? The non customers? Or the ones who hang out at "Iloveyourproducts.com"??? It's just business.

As for the windows mobile phones, they have always been very good actually. But up until the 6700 they were huge bricks (as far as cdma is concerned). With the advent of the 6700 being released on sprint this finally changes for the better. The device is wonderful, and while not being in the typical treo form factor, I would encourage anyone who has not seen it or played with it to check out a demo of it. If the 700p comes out, we'll see what it offers. But palm doesn't keep secrets well. We should have heard about it over the year. Believe what you will.
    Anybody work a deal to get EVDO included in the package you have now?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast