1.    #1  
    Just got my new Treo 650, and there was a note about BT DUN from Cingular saying that it was not available... No problem, I knew about Shadowmite's fix. However, as I fiddled (BEFORE I installed Shadowmite's fix) I saw that BT DUN was available in the menu. Does anyone know if Cingular has changed their policy and made it available? Or am I just a lucky b@stard who slipped through the cracks?
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    WHAT??!!
    NO WAY.
    Dude, you must tell us when this was bought, etc etc what store.
    Until now, BT DUN has only been available on the unlocked Treo 650's, which are anywhere from $550-$700USD.

Holy crap.

They enabled BT DUN?

ARE YOU SURE? This is actually a really big deal.

Maybe this coincides with the EDGE rollout, and now the UTMS rollout rumored to be happening Nov 1st...Yum.

Do tell more.
    Last edited by ItsAllVerbatim; 10/30/2005 at 12:02 PM.
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    I believe that if you apply the latest Cingular firmware/software update, it (officially) adds support for Bluetooth DUN so you no longer need to use the hack. That is if I'm not mistaken.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...reo650updater/
    So no, you didn't slip through the cracks. They added support for the feature that wasn't there when the first Cingular 650s shipped.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Yes, but most of the time I have to delete the laptop from the trusted devices and add it back again to get BT DUN to work. But it does work if I do that.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I got my Treo 650 in August. It has the DUN option when the bluetooth is active. Besides that, I wonder if the phones with the update already in it could be more stable? Yes, I have my share of issues but it has been from software conflicts.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllVerbatim
    WHAT??!!
    NO WAY.
    Dude, you must tell us when this was bought, etc etc what store.
    Until now, BT DUN has only been available on the unlocked Treo 650's, which are anywhere from $550-$700USD.

Holy crap.

They enabled BT DUN?

ARE YOU SURE? This is actually a really big deal.

Maybe this coincides with the EDGE rollout, and now the UTMS rollout rumored to be happening Nov 1st...Yum.

Do tell more.
    Yeah, as far as I can tell, it's enabled. I don't have BT on my laptop, so I can't check to see if it works. But the option is there. I got it from Tiger Direct, not an unlocked version. Subscribed to Cingular on the way (and ported my number to boot)... I only just got it last week. As for the updates, it has the most current firmware update (I checked it against the website)
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    One word:

Awesome.

Updating (rather, downloading) as I speak.

I really didn't want to buy an unlocked GSM 650 with the beauty that is the 700w right around the corner.
    With the last Cingular update, DUN on locked Cingular has been enabled. I've been using it on my Powerbook since then.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    sorry... noob question.... what is this DUN you all speak of?
    DUN:

Dial Up Networking.

Using a phone to connect to the internet. In this case, a cellular phone. A Treo with Bluetooth wireless technology, to be exact.

The purpose? Anywhere you have a cellular signal, and you have your phone and your laptop, you can connect to the internet.

Granted, DoD was doing this 15 years ago with sat phones to send emails over SPIRNET, but, now it's here
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    Hasnt this been out for months? I've been using it on my cingular 650 for quite a while...
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    ok, how is it done? i would sure love to use that type of connection.
    I've only done it using my ibook, haven't tried it on my win or my fedora laptops. there are plenty of tutorials on here.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.