1.    #1  
    I bought my first Treo 600 as a replacement/upgrade for an older phone in June 2004. I have since had major problems with these phones, in fact, I am about to get my 4th replacement Treo (which means Treo number 5 for me)!

What I want is the Treo 650, for god sakes I hope it can last longer than the 600 can. But both Sprint and Best Buy (where I got the phone) dont and will not offer an upgrade, even if I pay the difference.

I've been thinking about it, and what is the big deal with not allowing me a different phone. Imagine getting a TV and having it break (needing the entire set replaced) 4 times! You would think twice about getting another TV of the same model, right?

I'm just peeved that both Sprint and Best Buy wont even consider a different phone for me. Anybody know of another recourse I can take?
    Well first...the 600 had its share of issues when it started. What you are facing is not something that is that is unique (I have to admit though that I have had my 600 for a year and I have only replaced the battery in it.)

I thought I heard that the 600's were drying up and 650's might be replacements...I guess not at the Best Buy.

I might try the Sprint CSR route (I can't tell if you have already). Depending on the CSR and how long you have been with them, you might get lucky.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

don't have anything useful to offer, but I'll be interested to hear what happens with this. i'm pretty new to cell phones, which is maybe why i'm so surprised that these carriers don't offer a deal to upgrade your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield
    don't have anything useful to offer, but I'll be interested to hear what happens with this. i'm pretty new to cell phones, which is maybe why i'm so surprised that these carriers don't offer a deal to upgrade your phone.
    I don't know if there is an economic incentive to do so. They have extra 600's to replace with and the 650's are still selling strong. Plus they have me (and others) under contract with pretty stiff penalties.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Well first...the 600 had its share of issues when it started. What you are facing is not something that is that is unique (I have to admit though that I have had my 600 for a year and I have only replaced the battery in it.)

I thought I heard that the 600's were drying up and 650's might be replacements...I guess not at the Best Buy.

I might try the Sprint CSR route (I can't tell if you have already). Depending on the CSR and how long you have been with them, you might get lucky.
    Agree wholeheartedly! Going with their Customer Service Department is best. I once told that them I was going to switch carriers because they weren't doing what I wante them to do. Went on a rant and rave about customer service, and their not wanting my business, etc... Got the phone I wanted at the price I wanted.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Yeah, I don't know if it always works but if you really are desperate enough to bail out on the contract, then you don't have very much to lose. :-)

Sell the replacement on Ebay. Make sure to note that it is a new from the factory refurbished phone and that you haven't used it yet (if that is the case). This is how I upgraded to the 600 from the 300 a while back. You will probably get more than you think you would. The 600 had horrible build quality from the beginning. I went through 4 myself. I got them to give me a 650 when mine wouldn't make any calls and they didn't have any refurb. 600s in stock I made the case that I couldn't wait for a replacement. I wouldn't be too hopeful about talking a CSR into giving you the upgrade as that is a large cost to Sprint. And you really can't blame Sprint for not wanting to eat the cost of a new 650 for you, they most likely have yet to make back the $150-200 rebate they gave you off of your 600 unless you go over on your monthly allotted minutes. I doubt Palm would pay for your upgrade because they made a crappy phone---although I do believe they should as I have yet to come across anyone until reading this thread that has had a 600 last for even a year! The 650 I think is a vast improvement so far (I have had mine for a month or so).

Good Luck
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll try one last time with the customer service people. I tried to escalate the call 3 times the last time I called, but the lady wouldnt budge. I know how call centers work and she should have sent me up the ladder.

You know I worked for 5 years in technical support for a DSL company and I have found Sprint's customer support really really crappy. The whole scripted responses and artificial empathy, man it hurts listening to these people. What sucks is that I lost both of my last two jobs because of outsourcing to India. All of my customers were angry before the switch, and I understand why now. For a routine, simple problem, I bet they are fine. But for something complex or unusual (needing a non-scripted response) they just cant respond logically. My experience with both Dell and Sprint outsourced call support has left me seriously bitter.

Ahh, rant over. Worst that can happen is I can keep using the new Treo 600 and go through the whole process again. Maybe I've just got bad voodoo with these phones or something.