Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    Sprint recently modified their web proxy such that ports other than the usual 80 & 443 (normal web and secure web) are now blocked. This has caused me significant pain.

    I provide support to a large handful of customers that use DSL & VPN routers to connect their offices. Fixing a down VPN connection usually means pointing blazer to port 8080 (or similar) on the router's external IP. Since last thursday or friday, this now results in:

    Cannot Find Requested Page
    The page you requested cannot be displayed. The web site you are trying to access may be temporarily unavailable or the URL you entered cannot be resolved. Please check that you correctly entered the URL or try again later.
    I've verified that the port and address ARE accessible by installing Xiino, which loads the router's page just fine. I'd switch to Xiino for supporting these except it doesn't play well with some of the javascript embedded in the router's pages.

    So, the question is this: I know that Treos on the SprintPCS network have Blazer preconfigured to use their proxy server. Is this really Blazer specific, or some hidden config in the phone? If Blazer specific, does anyone know if the Blazer designed for another carrier's network can be installed and used on my Sprint Treo, bypassing their proxy server?

    Or does it work this way -- I realize I don't quite have a grasp on how the Treo's have been customized for the different carriers. Perhaps someone can suggest a different work around?

    [splicer]
  2.    #2  
    After spending an hour and twenty minutes on the phone with SprintPCS -- and this being the third call today -- I'm told that Sprint does NOT have a web proxy for Blazer, that the Blazer proxy is maintained by Palm and that Sprint does not have control over it.

    Some how, I'm not buying it.
  3. #3  
    I was just able to connect to my personal web server on port 8088 and it connected successfully, so it doesn't seem like sprint is blocking ports here.
  4. #4  
    Also, it seems like all traffic goes through Sprint's transparent proxy, which compresses both HTML and images. But, it passes through uncompressed images and HTML when it sees "Blazer/4.0" in the browser's user-agent string - so the Blazer browser gets uncompressed images and HTML.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdphotog
    Also, it seems like all traffic goes through Sprint's transparent proxy, which compresses both HTML and images. But, it passes through uncompressed images and HTML when it sees "Blazer/4.0" in the browser's user-agent string - so the Blazer browser gets uncompressed images and HTML.
    All we do know is:

    1. Browsers on Sprint's network other than Blazer go through a transparent proxy that compresses HTML & images.

    2. Blazer does something that avoids or bypasses the HTML and image compression proxy, or somehow tells the proxy not to do compression.

    3. Because there are times when Blazer doesn't work but other browsers do, or vice-versa, Blazer-generated traffic is being sent through a different path through the network/proxies than traffic from other browsers.

    Anything beyond that, such as how Blazer does #2, is speculation. UA-string is a good guess, but it's just a guess. (Unless, of course, you have inside knowlege?)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by splicer
    Or does it work this way -- I realize I don't quite have a grasp on how the Treo's have been customized for the different carriers. Perhaps someone can suggest a different work around?
    [splicer]
    I've gotten it to work by setting my own proxy in the Blazer configuration.
  7. #7  
    I don't have any insider information, but from my own tests, the proxy looks for "Blazer" in the user-agent string and if it sees it, sends uncompressed data. So, I was able to add the "Blazer/4.0" string to Firefox and Safari on my laptop and also receive uncompressed data on my EVDO connection.
  8.    #8  
    Perhaps the problem is me afterall. Try this:

    Website:
    http://70.56.188.195/

    Maintenance Site:
    http://70.56.188.195:8080/

    The second one should prompt you for a username/password ... but on the phone, I just get the error message I posted above.
    [splicer]
    Last edited by splicer; 10/28/2005 at 11:35 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Also, I just got off the phone with Sprint's tech support folks again. I was told by a manager that yes, some sites will be blocked as Sprint chooses, and that I will just have to live with it.

    Definately UNACCEPTABLE.
    [splicer]
  10. #10  
    I was able to get to both sites on my Treo650 here in San Diego. So, maybe there is some kind of network problems where you are.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdphotog
    I was able to get to both sites on my Treo650 here in San Diego. So, maybe there is some kind of network problems where you are.
    That could be. With further testing, it seems to be very hit and miss. I have some sites with identical configurations that I can load on the Treo, but most of them result in the "Cannot Find" error.

    Thing is, you can't get past the drones on the help desk to a "real" network admin to discuss the problem. And they ALL tell you something different. I even had one try to tell me that I had to install the update to Blazer 2 (!) from this site: http://web.palm.com/support/blazer/sprint.jhtml ... with some difficulty I was finally able to explain that this update was for a Treo 300 not the 650.


    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    I've gotten it to work by setting my own proxy in the Blazer configuration.
    I'm going to look into this over the weekend and see if this might be a usable work-around.

Posting Permissions