Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "I see dead pixels..."
    Last edited by BADFLHT; 10/21/2005 at 01:19 PM.
    Engadget Article

It references statements by Access in this article that they plan to 'End of Life' PalmOS soon.
    Yeah holy crap right? I think those symbian treo rumors have more merit now. Can't imagine palm would do only windows...

TM
    Well, of course this happens right after I buy one.

Don't know about Linux, even though the source article does mention Access's interest in it. I'm just glad I dodged the Windows bullet for a while.

When did built in obsolescence start happening so quickly!
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    All PALM PDA's are going to convert to what? WM5? Become PPCs?

The last word has not been written on this yet.

Cheers, Perry.
    mother f*er... I wish Palm bought the Palm OS!!!! or Motorola did!!!

Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    According to this Engadget post, Access has decided to give Palm OS the axe. Apparently, they were only interested in Palm OS's acquisition of the Chinese Linux-for-mobiles company.

EDIT: From the Engadget post, the first glance makes it look like Palm OS is over. After actually finding the article (click on the Palm OS logo), they state that Palm OS is dead, but Palm-on-Linux will live on. Not that big of a surprise. At least we have confirmation of POL. Hopefully Palm will jump on it.
    It looks to me like Palm OS is on the ropes:

http://www.cbronline.com/article_fea...4-A2A7D057C8FF

Access has another agenda for Linux development fbased upon the China Mobilesoft side of the Palmsource acquisition. I know, I know, all of you will start running with "See, it's going to be a 700L" but that's wrong folks. Couple this with the talk of Palm specialty phones on a Linux kernal, and we're back to the 700w as the future of converged, smartphone devleopment. Just point me to ONE mainstream US Linux based PDA? And why would a Palm interface on a Linux kernal be so much better than WM5, other than make us feel comfortable with our old interface?

No Cobalt or Frankengarnet model 700. Sad day for us longterm Palm users.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    All PALM PDA's are going to convert to what? WM5? Become PPCs?

The last word has not been written on this yet.

Cheers, Perry.
    Eternal optimist. I fear this is the end for PalmOS. Maybe we'll see one more Palm based Treo, then its on to something else. I wont have a problem switching to Win Mobile if its the best OS available, i'd switch my desktop to Windows if it was the best OS available. I just hope there are a couple options.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    http://www.cbronline.com/article_fea...4-A2A7D057C8FF

Ya, dead by 2009.

And then the Linux/Palm OS will be in place . . . .if not sooner.
    why doesn't Access just sell back to Palm the OS they don't care about, and keep the Linux stuff that they do ???!!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    this one started like 3 mins before you posted :P

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=98481
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Eternal optimist.

I resemble that remark!
    uh, this doesnt say no 700 garnet, only that palmos as a solo os is not going to be developed on. This was the point of Access getting palmsource anyway, for the PalmLinux (or whatever the name will be) part of the pie. Access knows they cannot throw the PalmOS completly, its too large of a user and mental base; however, they wont build on something broken. Thats smart and probably the best sign yet that PalmLinux is on the move.

the other part of your post: "And why would a Palm interface on a Linux kernal be so much better than WM5, other than make us feel comfortable with our old interface?"

The palmOS interface IS really tons better. It more than needs a tuning (see all the launchers availiable now), but its a better start and more accessible from a usability standpoint than the Win (and even Mac) interface is. If they keep it, kool. If they enhance it (think Initate, ZL and Facer rolled into one) then there is more than a compelling enough reason to keep current users around to trump teh platform. The hard part would be convincing new users this is a better interface than the start>program field they are used to.

"Just point me to ONE mainstream US Linux based PDA? "
    Sooner than you think, not happening just yet, carriers here have too much a say and walk more with legacy users than nuveau tech embracements.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    can i double post some

uh, this doesnt say no 700 garnet, only that palmos as a solo os is not going to be developed on. This was the point of Access getting palmsource anyway, for the PalmLinux (or whatever the name will be) part of the pie. Access knows they cannot throw the PalmOS completly, its too large of a user and mental base; however, they wont build on something broken. Thats smart and probably the best sign yet that PalmLinux is on the move.

the other part of your post: "And why would a Palm interface on a Linux kernal be so much better than WM5, other than make us feel comfortable with our old interface?"

The palmOS interface IS really tons better. It more than needs a tuning (see all the launchers availiable now), but its a better start and more accessible from a usability standpoint than the Win (and even Mac) interface is. If they keep it, kool. If they enhance it (think Initate, ZL and Facer rolled into one) then there is more than a compelling enough reason to keep current users around to trump teh platform. The hard part would be convincing new users this is a better interface than the start>program field they are used to.

"Just point me to ONE mainstream US Linux based PDA? "
    Sooner than you think, not happening just yet, carriers here have too much a say and walk more with legacy users than nuveau tech embracements.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    why doesn't Access just sell back to Palm the OS they don't care about, and keep the Linux stuff that they do ???!!
    Why would Palm want to buy it back? They have the license thru 2009. . . . .and then by then. . . . see post #7.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/21/2005 at 01:43 PM.
    Maybe Palm doesn't want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    Maybe Palm doesn't want it.
    They bidded for it...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    so why did access buy palm os in the first place if they are going to kill it?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast