Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    Maybe Palm doesn't want it.
    See post #10.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    They bidded for it...
    Maybe there's still a chance, then. It just seems odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    See post #10.
    This makes perfect sense. I just have to keep this in mind when I consider spending any more money on software!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I'm holding out hope that Palm will resurrect the OS in some form, so I'm playing wait and see for now...

They plan to "end of life" Palm OS? As Calvin said, "Verbing weirds language."
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    I think it's time to pronounce the death of ACCESS, and their crappy Netfront browser.

I'm getting the nine inch nails, NOW.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    so why did access buy palm os in the first place if they are going to kill it?

In the original press release by Access of it's acquisition - they stated it was to be able to use the OS on mobile phones (no mention of PDA's). Many phones are linux based and they wanted the interface to "lay on top" of the OS, my guess.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    Maybe there's still a chance, then. It just seems odd.
    Entry level PDAs (Zire) need a simple clean OS, Palm OS will fit that bill for 2-3 more years.

One more Palm OS Treo. . . (700p?) (Q1 2006) (Sprint)

Next Palm OS Treo after that will have to be a multi-tasking Linux/Palm OS with the ability to run heritage 3rd party Palm OS software.

One man's forecast. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    "One more Palm OS Treo. . . (700p?) (Q1 2006) (Sprint)"

IMO Not
    The real problem is that high-end software makers won't invest in Palm programming.
    As a door nail. ;-)
    <merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <merged again! >

<AND AGAIN!!!>

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The madness of the crowd....
    So it seems that news of the PalmOS’s death has been greatly exaggerated: Brighthand’s Ed Hardy has spoken to insiders at PalmSource who claim that while the next-gen PalmOS will be Linux-based, it will still run older apps and maintain the tradtional Palm look and feel (if it walks like a duck, etc.), and he also reports that PalmSource is attempting to have Computer Business Review pull their article.
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Palm_OS_Is_NOT_Dead

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    From the same source as in OP:

"So it seems that news of the PalmOS’s death has been greatly exaggerated: Brighthand’s Ed Hardy has spoken to insiders at PalmSource who claim that while the next-gen PalmOS will be Linux-based, it will still run older apps and maintain the tradtional Palm look and feel (if it walks like a duck, etc.), and he also reports that PalmSource is attempting to have Computer Business Review pull their article"

Makes everyone feel any better? :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I'm sorry but that Engadget article is **** poorly written. There's nothing stated in that original article written by that Rik Turner guy that wasn't already known or stated in previous comments.

All that is being said is that FrankenGarnet is EOL...well DUH!!!

Access is ust saying they are focused on the future linux (PL) product. Below are reposts of comments I made elsewhere:

Here is what is being stated:

-Access bought PalmSource b/c of its future linux products
    -CMS acquisition made PalmSource attract to buyer
    -PalmOS Garnet is end of life
    -Access wants to focus on linux based OS being developed by Palmsource
    -ACESSS also working on feature phone product

IT means the end of "FrankenGarnet" which imo is actually a good thing.

The real question imo though is what will Palm and other PalmSource/Access lisencees do in the short term until PL appears? FrankenGarnet cannot last for another two years imo...

Access/PalmSource long term strategy for Palm Linux is obvious. But what will the lisencees (mainly Palm) do in the mean time since PL is still nearly 2 years away??

IMO, the future platform strategy for Palm is obviously up in the air. There are basically three main mobile platforms with real long term potential: Symbian, WM, and Linux. Which one will Palm support long term? Will Palm only support one plaftorm exclusively? To the latter question, I doubt it.

Palm OS "FrankenGarnet" has no future and is dead as a smartphone platform for future growth I think most people would agree. Palm Linux is the dark horse of course (and would be a subset of the Linux platform stated above). The question is, what will Palm do between now and the release of Palm Linux? Can the continue to rely on a very aged and limited FrankenGarnet platform for the next two years until PL device is released? They have already released a WM Treo, but is this only as a short term strategy until PL is released or is this for the long haul? IMO, the greatest growth will be in WM and Linux platforms at the expense of Symbian. IMO, the long term plan of Palm is Linux (and perhaps PL if it meets expectations) and the short term plan is to support WM...

<merged yet AGAIN! >

UPDATED: "So it seems that news of the PalmOS’s death has been greatly exaggerated: Brighthand’s Ed Hardy has spoken to insiders at PalmSource who claim that while the next-gen PalmOS will be Linux-based, it will still run older apps and maintain the tradtional Palm look and feel (if it walks like a duck, etc.), and he also reports that PalmSource is attempting to have Computer Business Review pull their article."

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000890064510/
    I love the way this gets moved over to General Chat from Future Treos.

Look at this quote from Palmsource's website:

PalmSource is committed to providing the most open and complete software platform that makes mobile devices easy to use. By acquiring China MobileSoft, a leading Chinese mobile phone software company, PalmSource has substantially expanded its software product offering for mobile phones at all price points. As a result, PalmSource has now added to its offering a fast-boot Linux kernel, feature phone platform, and core applications such as MMS, WAP, camera, and games.

All that stuff is "feature phone" crap - the same thing you see on every LG/Nokia/Samsung/next great thing camera cell phone. Add to that the unending talk of Palm Linux feature phones, and what do you get - the end of development of Palm OS for smartphones.

Perry, I admire your unending optimism, and maybe you'll ultimately turn out right (the White Sox and Astros in the same World Series - who'd have thunk), but I just don't think it's going to happen.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I love the way this gets moved over to General Chat from Future Treos.

My initial aim was to keep all the threads merged into one. The original and oldest was posted in General, but I have now moved it to the Future Treos forum...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast