1.    #1  
    I was stupid enough to lose my (two month old) Treo last week. I've put my Cingular account on hold while I figure out what to do and wondered if any of you veterans had some advice.

I have been toying with getting an unlocked Treo instead of the Cingular model I lost. Is that worthwhile or should/can I unlock the Cingular-specific replacement myself? It's dial up networking that particularly appeals.

Also, if I buy an unlocked model, how does the SIM card issue work given that I've lost mine? Will Cingular give me a SIM card without me buying a new phone from them?

Lastly, I paid $450 for my Treo at a Cingular store and left with the nagging feeling I could have got a better deal elsewhere. If I end up getting a Cingular (i.e. locked) replacement, where do you recommend I buy?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas!

TT
    For next time, you may consider installing "lost" software. This software will read incoming SMS messages for a special keyword (like "lost") and then immediately lock the phone and display your owner's information. That screen could have your contact info, and perhaps list a small reward.

mLock and TreoHelper can be used for this function. It sure beats typing in a freaking password every time I turn the treo on...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip. These sound like programs I should have investigated before!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the issue of where to buy my replacem,ent Treo and whether I can/should pursue an unlocked model given that I have no SIM card now?

Thanks.
    Hi Tonyt! Are you TonyTal of the other lost treo thread?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=tonytal

If not, you two should have a beer during this full moon!!
  5.    #5  
    No, I am another TonyT. It seems us Tonys just can't keep our goddamn Treos in our pockets!

Now then, can anyone help me with my original question?
    I'm a Sprint user, so I will let the GSM folks jump in here.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Hi Tony,

I have lost a phone in the past and Cingular gave me a new sim with my old number. The said that they could simply deactivate the lost sim.

As for what the is the best deal on a Treo maybe someone else can answer that because I'm not sure. I do know that you can unlock the Cingular units if that helps.
    Make April 15th just another day. Fairtax
  8.    #8  
    Thank you folks. I guess I will cross the unlocking bridge when I come to it and probably just go with a Cingular branded replacement. (The lack of warranty puts me off the unlocked eBay route and the absurd price difference puts me off the direct-from-Palm route.) If anyone has any strategies for getting a better price om one of these I would REALLY appreciate it. I will need to replace the phone very soon!