1.    #1  
    I am trying to select a multi language (English-Spanish-German-French) dictionary to buy for my Treo (for me actually )

So far, I identified BEIKS, sold for $49.95. I am sure there are several. I would like to hear your thoughts especially if you experienced first-hand.

Thanks a lot.
    I really like the slovoed dictionaries from penreader:

http://english.palm-dictionaries.pen...ictionary.html
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/19/2005 at 06:10 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I really like the sloved dictionaries from penreader:

http://english.palm-dictionaries.pen...ictionary.html
    I gotta agree with gfunk...about a year ago, I got this program for only $1 from Palm on a special deal...best $1 I've spent in a long time.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    I like pocketlino also
    One advantage to Pocket Lingo is that the American heritage English dictionary is an available title, and all the foreign language as well as AHD integrate into one program- so you only have to open one program. Convenient for when that stunning intellectual chick starts quoting Emmanuel Kant in German and you're clueless as to what the words in either language mean!
    American Heritage is one of the worst dictionaries on the planet and isn't worth using to wrap your garbage in. Not that I have an opinion or anything.

I've been trying DEPReader with the Compact Oxford English Dictionary, and it seems pretty good so far.

Tom
    I have Slovoed and it works really well. I think I paid about 5 ($9ish) on special offer. I've also added a free trial of a French-English dictionary which is brilliant and only flashes up with 'register' comments every once in a while.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    One advantage to Pocket Lingo is that the American heritage English dictionary is an available title, and all the foreign language as well as AHD integrate into one program
    SlovoEd also has one main interface and you can choose which dictionary db to laod from the card...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I use SlovoEd.

For anyone looking for simply an English dictionary or Thesaurus, iNoah and iPedia are excellent.
    I have the following Pocket Lingo titles:

Idioms
    abbreviations
    Stedmans Medical
    Roget's Thesaurus
    American Hermitage College Edition

But the reader leaves a little to be desired. My major gripe is that the left and right on the D-Pad doesnt move the cursor, it switches between Look up, Study and My Word. Stupid, stupid
    Slovoed looks interesting. how much space does it take up on the SD card? any pointers to discounts?

also, is "English-English explanatory dictionary (Advanced)" at $22.45 better than "The English dictionary with Extended Thesaurus" at $19.95? seems the one with the thesaurus ought to be cheaper.
  12.    #13  
    That confused me also. Any one knows? Maybe best bet is to contact the source, the company itself.

Oh, thanks a lot for all the contribution by the way.
    here's the discount procedure for the Slovoed dictionaries -- you get a pretty big discount, it's hard to go wrong

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ad.php?t=98490

i bought English-English (the big one) and English-German for about $16 altogether.
    Slovoed also has a 'resident' option, which means you can temprorarily open the dictionary from any program to look up a word by pressing 'menu' then 'backspace' (Treo) or from the command bar. I only just discovered this and I thought it was a great feature.

I purchased the 'English Lexical Database Lite' for a knockdown price and it's great. About 5 meg in size though.....
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  15.    #16  
    Thank you rayfield and checkmate. I did use your link and bought two dictionaries, English to English and Spanish, could not find to Turkish though (which is my native).

I am experimenting the software after I purchased though. Normally, I do vice versa! But, hey discound was so steep, I could not resist. So far, I wish that there was an optiona to decrease the lines for bottom part (words list). I am curious that how much I will like this over the time. Great price though with the discount.
    there doesn't seem to be a way to enlarge the definition part of the screen, however if you click the icon on the top right, the definition will turn full-screen.
    The latest version of Slovoed seems to crash my treo. Anyone else have this problem?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    May I suggest a cheap dictionary:

Kdic (shareware)
    and a free Kdic-compatible alternative: Zdic

Both of these have DAs which you can use to "poup" the dictionaries while reading e.g. from within Plucker

As for the dictionary databases, you can use the large Wordnet dictionary database
    (download from http://makeashorterlink.com/?P453322C8 )
    There are also free Japanese-English and Chinese-English databases
    I managed to create a Malay-English/English-Malay dictionary

Kdic works well on my Treo650 and the Plucker PPI calls up the Kdic DA nicely. Great if you read ebooks with Plucker.
    I always use www.dict.org in blazer. I know the OP probably wanted a stand-alone app, but I simply don't have the memory and I have a data plan.