Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone investigated whether or not the Treo could be used to replace a car remote? Thinking it'd be great, since I carry my 650 with me all the time, to not have to carry my keys anymore.

    Thoughts?
  2. #2  
    Wont Work Wrong Freq.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by andya729
    Has anyone investigated whether or not the Treo could be used to replace a car remote? Thinking it'd be great, since I carry my 650 with me all the time, to not have to carry my keys anymore.

    Thoughts?

    Car remotes use RF. The Treo only has an IR...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4. #4  
    Not trying to stir the pot, technicallyhe the 650 has bluetooth, which is RF, but again it is most likely the wrong frequency. car remotes also have coding that would need to be cloned, etc. (FWIW, anyone know what is the frequency for most car remotes)
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey's Poppa
    Not trying to stir the pot, technicallyhe the 650 has bluetooth, which is RF, but again it is most likely the wrong frequency. car remotes also have coding that would need to be cloned, etc. (FWIW, anyone know what is the frequency for most car remotes)
    315MHz in the US. 433Mhz in Europe (IIRC)

    Just to add, not all remotes are RF. New ones for sure, but my old 1990 Jeep XJ uses an IR keyless entry.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    315MHz in the US. 433Mhz in Europe (IIRC)

    Just to add, not all remotes are RF. New ones for sure, but my old 1990 Jeep XJ uses an IR keyless entry.
    Very interesting about the IR Entry. Never would have guessed anyone used that. I would have guessed higher frequency (just because of the size of the remotes needing a somewhat efficient antenna). Now I know why I need to be NEXT to my Tahoe to use the "Remote"
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #7  
    A Bluetooth proximity sensor would work. I put some thought in to this a while ago. What you my car alarm would consist of would be a Bluetooth proximity receiver, a cellular radio, and a gps. The Bluetooth would be used to take the place of the RF remote. Via BT the car would unlock when you are within' say 5ft of the car or you could hit a button within an app to open doors, trunk, lock doors, etc. The cell radio would be used to send short SMSs with GPS (from the GPS receiver) coordinates if the car is stolen, crashed, broken down, etc. (think OnStar). These would be call home units that are monitored by a central location to alert police and civil emergency folks.
  8. #8  
    except for the fact that proximity sensing doesnt work consistenely on the treo (it turns on and off somewhat randomly)
  9. #9  
    "Now I know why I need to be NEXT to my Tahoe to use the "Remote"".

    Try placing your remote next to the skin of your neck when you activiate it. Your body will enchance the antenna and increase the range of the remote.
  10. #10  
    Wow, worlds most costly, and shortest range transmitter, will it be user selecteable, to use on our tv's and stereo's too ?

Posting Permissions