1.    #1  
    I love my Treo 600 (Sprint) because it's a terrific phone, it has all my information in one place, and it's geeky as hell.

But it is now an immobile phone, a victim of the battery issues covered in so many threads (it dials and receives calls - as long as it is securely plugged into the wall). Out of warranty and no help offered from Sprint. 4 months on contract. Yes, its ESN is in the dread range known to have issues. Yes, I realize I could try to disassemble it and fix/repair/replace the battery...but I don't want to spend more than $50 on a roll of the dice.

The point: I want a Treo that works, now! One that smells new, from a gleaming box!

The goofy business models of US cellular companies means this is my menu ($ approximate) for an unsoiled 650:

- New 650 w/Sprint = $549 - $75 token upgrade discount = $475
    - w/Cingular = $229 (with all discounts) + $150 Sprint cancellation = $380
    - w/Verizon = $199 (with all discounts) + $150 Sprint cancellation = $350

If I leave, Sprint gets $150 but loses 28 monthly bills. If I stay, I get hung up on when they "transfer" me and I support a company that doesn't even make a partial effort to help with a defective product.

As the cartoon dog said, "it just don't add up!" There's no reason to stay. They suffer more from "churn" than I do. I know this isn't news, and it's simply the way it is, but c'mon - it's hilarious. So I'm embracing it, with gusto.

*The best troubled relationship advice is usually "dump 'em."
    *Never stay if the new contract isn't as good as the last one.
    *Use your freedom of choice.

I cancelled tonight (it took 2 calls and 40 minutes) and it feels fantastic. IT FEELS GOOD. To all of those who CANCEL PASSIONATELY and jump eagerly into the arms of another company -- I salute you!
    My only friends are:
    Shiny PowerBook G4; obsolete gaming PC; OpenBSD firewall; Sun SPARC machines at work; Vegemite
    Treo 600 -> Treo 600 "immobile mode" ->
    If you're just going to throw it into your sock drawer, I'll take that old smelling, immobile 600 off your hands for you...
    Know what I'd do with that immobile 600?

Throw that Thumbscan app on it, imbed in the wall, and impress your friends.
    It can't go anywhere anyway, right? Put the bad boy to work
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
  4.    #4  
    Big_OTR, if I need to junk it, you're first on the list in Canada...

Thumbscan's a great idea! Or 24/7 Space Trader. It does need a job.
    My only friends are:
    Shiny PowerBook G4; obsolete gaming PC; OpenBSD firewall; Sun SPARC machines at work; Vegemite
    you need start screaming at Sprint a little louder. I've been a long time customer of theirs. Sometimes you talk to the wrong person, but if you get the right one, you can get a new phone no problem. And if you have to, insure it and then just go ahead and run that sucker over a few times with your favorite vehicle. $50 gets you a shiny new 600 at that point.
  6.    #6  
    Insurance next time, absolutely - I was a moron to not cover my 600!

As for screaming, it can definitely work, and I'm all for getting good deals, even if that means some *ahem* direct communication. But at this point I don't have the energy to go through that with CSRs and managers, all of whom are working worse jobs than me. I politely asked for a reasonable deal. They declined, so -- crickets.

This is scorched earth, I think, hitting them right in their reliable income stream. Wouldn't it have been smarter for Sprint to pitch in something? Even $50 extra bucks? I think my way causes them maximum pain, and me maximum satisfaction...let's hope all the carriers get smarter.
    My only friends are:
    You might have gained satisfaction but the problem is that tomorrow there will be someone fed up with at&t and they will cancel and move to sprint. These companies are like kids... it is their job to try and get away with as much as possible and its our job to hold them accountable until they see it our way. Unless my coverage was terrible, I would not leave but instead brow beat them until I got what I want (as long as what I want is within reason). We have to hold them accountable and MAKE them give us the service we expect!
    Quote Originally Posted by sugoikoi
    Insurance next time, absolutely - I was a moron to not cover my 600!

As for screaming, it can definitely work, and I'm all for getting good deals, even if that means some *ahem* direct communication. But at this point I don't have the energy to go through that with CSRs and managers, all of whom are working worse jobs than me. I politely asked for a reasonable deal. They declined, so -- crickets.

This is scorched earth, I think, hitting them right in their reliable income stream. Wouldn't it have been smarter for Sprint to pitch in something? Even $50 extra bucks? I think my way causes them maximum pain, and me maximum satisfaction...let's hope all the carriers get smarter.
    You're delusional. You have caused Sprint no pain whatsoever. Unless your phone bill is in the hundreds of millions, I doubt the CEO of Sprint is cleaning the feces out of his underwear right now.

If you were unhappy, then you did the right thing. But don't act like Sprint is shaking in their boots over it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I agree with Insertion. There are WAY too many people to go around with far to few cellular companies. Right now cellular is definitely a sellers market. and I don't see that changing any time soon. As a matter of fact in 10 years there may only be two providers the way bigger companies are gobbling up the others. One for GSM and one providing CDMA... that is until CDMA becomes obselete. Geez... maybe old Billy Gates is plotting on how to buy out every company in existence! How's that for a monopoly! The best thing you can do is fight for what you feel is right. They will give if you ask enough.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You're delusional. You have caused Sprint no pain whatsoever. Unless your phone bill is in the hundreds of millions, I doubt the CEO of Sprint is cleaning the feces out of his underwear right now.

If you were unhappy, then you did the right thing. But don't act like Sprint is shaking in their boots over it.
    They left a chocolate in my mailbox and a note saying I'm first in their heart... ...and please don't hit them again. They know how important I am now!

Of course I don't matter on my own, but the whole group of people who do not stick around at a carrier creates a cost, and their relatively assured future revenue is gone. There's a marketing cost, a processing cost, a provisioning cost, and - wait for it - customer service cost to go with gaining each new customer, and they only want to pay that once.

My guess is its far better for the carrier to have people who sign up again, even if they complain and require some handouts from time to time. Far better for consumers to take the best rebates they can on new equipment, never renewing with the same carrier. (And it feels good to sleep around!)

Sure, as the next poster wrote, there're a lot of fish in the sea from the point of view of the carriers...and that's why this system goes on. Maybe they'll someday want to maximize what they get from Treo-wielding, data-chugging people like us. Maybe not. Maybe we're just too demanding...maybe we're just like our fathers: too bold.
    My only friends are:
    Quote Originally Posted by sugoikoi
    Maybe we're just too demanding...maybe we're just like our fathers: too bold.
    MAN!!!

How you managed to throw in a Prince quote is just downright Amazing!

Laffs...
    Long live the NPG!
    Did you calculate the monthly fee for data? Both Cingular and Verizon charge you 40 just for data if you buy the 650 from them.

I mean...you did put that into consideration right?

There is a reason I never sign up with two year contract.
  13.    #13  
    Yes, for unlimited data, the only plan for Treo-heads, those two cost more. Add in comparable voice plans and Sprint's advantage shrinks to about $10 cheaper/month. Since my company pays the monthly bill (luckily) I don't care for now.
    My only friends are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You're delusional. You have caused Sprint no pain whatsoever...If you were unhappy, then you did the right thing. But don't act like Sprint is shaking in their boots over it.
    I dunno. I cancelled 3 lines with Sprint this week after being a customer for 9 years. Here we have two customers on this forum in the last few days. Multiply us by the thousands who don't even know this forum exists and, over time, they may start to feel it.

They lost me in large part because their policy wouldn't allow adding a 4th line to my account. I escalated all the way up to corporate and they wouldn't do it. I posed a question to Mr. Corporate Manager at the end of a long conversation about archaic policy and how dumb it looks in hindsight--I finally asked him, "You're telling me you are willing to let a nine-year 3-line customer (who has never been late on a single payment) walk because the credit upgrade algorithm under which my account was established years ago tells you I don't qualify and you aren't willing to be the human who intervenes to override such a ludicrous policy?"

When he still showed no signs of life at that point, I told him that ordinarily I would cancel and tell him where to stick it but since the rules have changed now with portable numbers and such I wasn't going to give Sprint the chance to keep my long-time phone numbers. I told him I hoped our conversation had been recorded so they could someday break down this issue in a meeting, and that maybe he ought to be the one to step out of his cubicle and do something important in his worklife like initiate a policy change or something.

I informed him that the next Sprint would hear from me would be when the requisition to port three phone numbers arrived from my new carrier. It wasn't quite as fun as cancelling in the old days, but it still made my point. And I really don't give a crap if they aren't shaking in their boots. I'll NEVER do anything with Sprint again.

There have been a few companies over the years that I vowed to never do business with again. And I haven't. It's interesting that most of them are no longer in business, including Mountain Bell. Mountain Bell was so huge at one time that if I had told people ten years ago that they would no longer exist in a few years I would have been committed outright. Funny how the way companies handle individual customer service issues is often indicative of a corporate sickness. I hear about Sprint's lack of concern enough from enough people that it would not surprise me in the least to see them out of business within the next 5 years. Heck, it may even be WiMax that does them in. That's just around the corner in the US. When that happens there will be nothing to keep customers hanging onto companies that don't eagerly seek to retain customers. The Sprint corporate ***** kept bringing up the fact that I would lose $450 in cancellation fees for three lines. That's their fallback plan? Locking people into contracts? Do they seriously think anyone will even care about losing $150 cancellation fee when soon they'll be able to have voIP, broadband, and unlimited worldwide calling for under $50 month with WiMax? The next few months will be interesting....
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    I dunno. I cancelled 3 lines with Sprint this week after being a customer for 9 years. Here we have two customers on this forum in the last few days. Multiply us by the thousands who don't even know this forum exists and, over time, they may start to feel it.
    But realistically, Sprint probably signed up three new lines in the time it took you to type your response. As the Yankee fan said, there is a limited number of choices. I switched from Verizon to Sprint nearly a year ago (when the 650 was released.) I'm sure someone filled my spot at VZW, just as I filled someone elses slot with Sprint.

Like I said to sugoikoi, he did the right thing, as did you, if you felt screwed. But it's not really going to hurt their bottom line.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."