Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    No from what I've heard on the Treo 700p, it's gonna be similar to the Treo 700w, but with something extra, that makes it stand out. I was told wifi/or gps. Wifi looks more likely now with the blackberry connect announcement. I was told it could be both as well.
    Jimmie - hope you're right; built in WiFi would be (beat) the berries

I know I've been pummeled for saying it before, but I just can't believe Uncle Bill would do a stand up endorsement of the 700w if Palm releases a 700p that smokes the feature set on his new baby.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    they better include an xbox 700 inside too!
    I think Palm has some great things in store for us. I just bought a Palm TX and see how much Palm has returned to being "Palm" again.
    http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/1...-handheld.html
    If the TX is any sign of Palm's commitment to bring us quality, stable, and great products we are for a treat I am using a the TX for wifi, and huge screen to update my site and PalmAddict. I also setup the TX to use mt Treo's BT DUN connection as well. I know this is treocentral, but Palm has come out with an awesome handheld, and now I can only expect the Treo 700p to be even more awesome that first anticipated.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Palm OS had better live on forever based on how much $ I spend on the applications
    "God Bless YOU Do The Rest"
    Mike Anderson
    http://michaand.ProBuilderPlus.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I think Palm has some great things in store for us. I just bought a Palm TX and see how much Palm has returned to being "Palm" again.
    http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/1...-handheld.html
    If the TX is any sign of Palm's commitment to bring us quality, stable, and great products we are for a treat I am using a the TX for wifi, and huge screen to update my site and PalmAddict. I also setup the TX to use mt Treo's BT DUN connection as well. I know this is treocentral, but Palm has come out with an awesome handheld, and now I can only expect the Treo 700p to be even more awesome that first anticipated.
    The problem comes when yu bolt that cellular radio on that puppy; then the roof caves in on old Frankengarnet and you get the random resets; tinny voice calls; lost volume; etc.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    That's what I want too....wi-fi. I really don't need a 650. I need a wi-fi.

However, re: blackberry integration, you know RIM just lost a preliminary ruling on patent infringement. There may not be a RIM pretty soon...

Cue79: I refuse to pay for these ridiculously priced push email packages. All you have to do is subscribe to a pay-as-you go dial-up solution like Budgetdialup.com, and download your email when you want to from the net. You can even set it to go online and download automatically if you wish every X minutes. On t-Mobile at least, there is NO reason to buy the data packages.

Quote Originally Posted by michaand
    Palm OS had better live on forever based on how much $ I spend on the applications
    Sums up my view!
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaand
    That's the truth right there.
    Why would Palm include WiFi considering that its the CELLULAR providors who sell the Treos? Who also have "high speed" data networks that they also sell service on?

Not to cynical, but it seems unlikely that Palm would include wifi, unless they have a product that does not go through cell phone companies, like maybe a Blackberry specific device.
    They should've put WiFi in the Tungsten C.
    Ah, I forget that was the debacle that is the Tungsten W...
    Screw AT&T and their crippled, undermarketed devices.
    That means, you too, Cingular with Sprint charging $15 FOR UNLIMITED EVDO AND STREAMING TV AND YOU CHARGE ME $45 FOR CRAPPY EDGE.

There are soldiers in Iraq pulling down more bandwidth via satellite than I am with EDGE. That is sad. And they have better latency.

Yes, I mean the civilian solutions htey have to chip in and buy. Not the gov. sats.

If the 700p has all of the HARDWARE included in the 700w, I will buy.
    And if it doesn't have more than 24MB of memory, I propose a witchhunt. Starting at the HTC factory - we'll purchase 4GB slabs of flash memory from Samsung for ridiculously discounted prices (this is really easy; you just pretend you're from Apple's CIA ) and then we will have a 4GB Treo 700p.

And Perry will live happily ever after.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhyman
    Why would Palm include WiFi considering that its the CELLULAR providors who sell the Treos? Who also have "high speed" data networks that they also sell service on?

Not to cynical, but it seems unlikely that Palm would include wifi, unless they have a product that does not go through cell phone companies, like maybe a Blackberry specific device.
    They'll eventually put in WiFi because the corporate customers (of the carriers) want it. All the major carriers already sell phones that have WiFi.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires
    However, re: blackberry integration, you know RIM just lost a preliminary ruling on patent infringement. There may not be a RIM pretty soon...
    Even if they lose the patent infringement lawsuit, RIM is not going anywhere. This is about how much RIM will have to pay to NTP (the claimed patent holder) in licensing fees for their technology. And the court decisions could take a while. Excerpts from a press release at

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/3558421 :

"Today's ruling means that RIM and NTP must go back to District Court to fight over five remaining patent claims. The Federal Circuit reversed or vacated the lower court's infringement findings on nine of the original 16 NTP patent claims, vacating the damages award and injunction set in the 2002 District Court trial......The Waterloo, Ont.-based wireless e-mail company thought it had settled the matter with a March 2005 deal with NTP. RIM agreed to pay NTP $450 million to resolve all current and future patent infringement issues between the two companies, gaining the ability to sub-license NTP patents relating to RIM products and services. But those licensing talks broke down in June, even as the USPTO rejected two more NTP patents. RIM said that because NTP wouldn't finalize the deal, the federal appeals court should stay the appeal and enforce the agreement.

At the same time, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is in the process of re-examining five of the eight NTP patents listed in the original complaint. The patents undergoing review are U.S. Patent Numbers 5,625,670; 5,631,946; 5,819,172; 6,067,451 and 6,317,592."

RIM is more in danger of competitors catching up to their technology lead than from NTP.
    Palm will probably not do wifi until they can guarantee that the form factor and battery life will not suffer for at least one day's use of both. Unless we see that 2200mah mutgen battery in a 650-like formfactor, I dont think it will come.

Per the starter of this thread. It would be silly in announcing that a new software product is on the way that there are no new hardware prodcuts coming afterwards to take advantage of it. Yes, we all "know" there will be a new PalmOS Treo on the way. But there has been nothing on the side of truth that has verified that fact. To be honest, Palm is doing a great job in not letting anyone know about a new PalmOS Treo. If they are doing it, they better be doing something more than an incremental update to the 650 (my minds eye thinks it will be T2 to T3 type of difference, but we really never know).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I wrote this in another thread, but it is far more relevant here:

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    It's not that I won't change, it's just that I won't change until there is proof that my Palm library of software has been truly orphaned. If the 700p comes to be, I'm good with Palm for at least 2 more years after the 700P's arrival.

Cheers, Perry.
    Here's what may happen:

What I'm hoping is that this rumored LinuxPalmOS is like Windows 95 was.

You could run...

1) DOS applications (READ: legacy PalmOS apps from 1996-now)
    2) Windows 3.xx apps (so Palm 4.0 and 5.0/Garnet apps...color support, etc)
    3) "32-Bit Windows 95 compatible" blah blah blah; which would be the more stable, robust LinuxPalmOS platform, freeware, shareware and accompanying developer community.

Using a desktop computing analogy; even now, on Windows XP, 13 years after they released the last version of DOS, you can still run DOS apps under WinXP. NOT ALL. But many.

I do wager this is what Palm is pushing towards. A platform for the 21st century and beyond, with a emulator of sorts allowing legacy software to be run without compromising stability.

Let us pray
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    I said this before, and so has gfunk. That it could run in PACE, emulation mode.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12