1.    #1  
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a vision of offering various hardware options for the same os in the past?

Like many, I love my 650 and still waiting to see what future options will be coming out. So far, we're hearing lot's of talk of various OS choices. It's an interesting move for Palm to do this. Even though they want to be known as a software company (or a VAR so to speak) the move makes the perception to the consumer of being more of a hardware company competing against Nokia and others. I guess it doesn't matter what type of company the consumer thinks they are but it does bring different challenges.

We all know that the hardware is actually outsourced but I think Palm needs to look at the various needs of consumers. Things such as internal memory, (no)cameras, speaker quality, bluetooth, WiFi and even form factor come to mind.

Personally, I have two (maybe five) beefs about the hardware. The first two are rather obvious: internal memory and wifi. Even with the SD card which most of my apps run on, I always seem like I'm watching my internal memory. I agree that the bulk of stuff can run on a card but they can easily add more memory without making the device THAT much more expensive. WiFi is also obvious, it just makes access to local services much easier and faster. Bluetooth has it's sweet spot but just doesn't have the range for roaming around the house or office.

My other three grips are things that are minor but I feel I should post them and they both are sound-related. Change your headphone input to a standard headphone jack, improve your back speaker quality and update BlueTooth to support newer standards such as stereo headphones. I don't know why Palm hasn't done this because they can really make a serious dent in the iPod industry. You can already listen to music, auto-download Podcasts and stream video; the only problem is the sound quality versus iPods. I'm not saying that Palm should focus on the music/video phone industry but they certainly can easily become a major force with some hardware tweaks.

It really doesn't matter what the OS is on the Treo, as long as the user can do what the user wants or needs. I feel the hardware limitations is what Palm will need to address to succeed. If Palm wants to become a Nokia of sorts, the need more options and deliver solutions more frequent than once a year.

Rant over for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    Like many, I love my 650 and still waiting to see what future options will be coming out. So far, we're hearing lot's of talk of various OS choices. It's an interesting move for Palm to do this. Even though they want to be known as a software company (or a VAR so to speak) the move makes the perception to the consumer of being more of a hardware company competing against Nokia and others. I guess it doesn't matter what type of company the consumer thinks they are but it does bring different challenges.
    Please, don't tell me you got that VAR stuff from JK right?!

Just kidding, but I would not take any of his analyses seriously...

Anyway, regarding the low end Treo comment. I agree that Palm probably would like to expand into the lower tier segment, but I think the smartphone industry is still viewed as in it's infancy or early adolensence so to speak. Thusly, I think most people still view smartphones as high end devices. Of course there are many subsidiezed Nokia Series 60 phones out there that are dirt cheap, but I don't think Palm can effectively compete in that area. Also, I think it's still to expensive for Palm to develop a low end PalmOS smartphone like this. Perhaps this would explain the rumors about low end Linux based feature phones from Palm? In any case, I don't think we'll see a truely low end Treo or smarphone from Palm for a while yet...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Ok, maybe JK had an influence on my message. :smirk:

However, I was really more focused on the high end stuff that's gonna confince me to upgrade THIS TIME. Every Handspring/Palm/PalmOne/Palm (name changes almost as often as devices) upgrade I've done has been due to hardware improvements. The OS/software is a huge bonus but never drove me to an upgrade.....yet.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    As far as high and low end Treos, hey..give them a break. They are half way done.. the low end seems very covered now...We are all just waiting for the high end
    I said it before, I think the Treo 600 will be put the to mid/low end. Carriers still support it, and they are going on ebay right now for aroun 150-200. I am not saying it will happen soon, but can you imagine if Palm ever sold the Treo 600 at $99, it will take some time, but I could see it happening.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I'll go into this discussion more with my revew of the Qool QDA-700 and why it cannot be done [yet]; but it will be and will be kinda exciting for the non-techie people. But basically, when it can be done, it will hit..and hit really hard.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.