Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I could care less about a Symbian Treo, but it sure makes PALM look like a solid company. I love when companies cover all bases. It gives you a stability feeling, meaning that no matter which OS wins at the end you are still a winner. I like that... Keep up the good work PALM.

Al
    Actually, it's a bad idea in that respect. Palm stock has done nothing but drop sense the idea of a microsoft deal hit the investors, now if they announce others, it'll further the belief they are not on track and the stock will continue to plummet.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually, it's a bad idea in that respect. Palm stock has done nothing but drop sense the idea of a microsoft deal hit the investors, now if they announce others, it'll further the belief they are not on track and the stock will continue to plummet.
    Agree.
    I think their stock will rise however if they announce the Treo700 running Palmsource's Cobalt 6.1 or whatever, with true multi-tasking and wifi. Bluetooth 2.0, more onboard memory. Now that would restore confidence in us and the investors!
    PALM dropped for several reasons:
    1. Treo sales in Europe fell far short of expectations. A SymbianOS Treo in theory could fix that, but not any time soon.
    2. Earnings guidance for this quarter was lower than previous estimates. This happened because they were about to announce a new product that won't be available 'til next quarter.
    3. Investors believe that Palm has abandoned PalmOS - it's very own lifeblood.
    Well, your statement is simply wrong. Palm stock started dropping after the last earnings call because Palm's forward guidance was not as high as Wall Street's expectation. Furthermore, the Microsoft partnership has been rumored for quite some time. It was first broke by an analyst named Charles Wolf in 2004.

There are many other reasons for Palm's recent stock price drop, but not for the reasons that you listed above.
    um... not sure who you're disagreeing with... I'm the only one who "listed" any reasons...
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    um... not sure who you're disagreeing with... I'm the only one who "listed" any reasons...
    um... he quoted shadowmite
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I'm the only one who "listed" any reasons...
    I would have to disagree --- yes, it shows lack of confidence in the Palm OS (causing the initial stock drops)

but once quarterly figures are released, and it shows that the Treo is the top selling smartphone, regardless of OS, then the stock will soar

in that way, if Palm can accomodate multiple OS's, without sacrficing revenues or production efficiency, then this will prove to be the best longterm plan
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Well then I'll just stay quiet and make my money... Goodluck.
    Well then I'll just stay quiet and make my money... Goodluck.
    I guess you must be shorting Palm stocks then.....
    Palm OS & Treo smartphones are separate company, no? I think what will happen is The Palm Treo will become the Treo smartphone. Treo will become a new separate brand that will focus on all levels of phones. Palm will sell it or become separate from Treos somehow. Treo will then make phones - some smart & some not so smart. This is why Treos are now going to have many different OS on them. You'll see. So if this is death of Palm it makes no difference. The Treo will live on & we will have many more options!!!
  12.    #32  
    Treo is fast becoming it's own entity. Who would have ever thought there would be a Windows Mobile Treo? So we've got a Palm Treo and a Windows Mobile Treo, Treo is obviously not OS dependent. Palm committed to licensing the Palm OS from PalmSource through 2009. We will have more Palm Treos, we will have more Windows Mobile Treos, and we will have other OS'es. Do you think Palm isn't trying other OS'es out, they were trying Windows Mobile w/out telling us, they're not going to say they are working on other OS'es. Did Apple let on that every version of OS X was made to work on intel processors? Of course not, that's not for "us" to know, yet. Of course Ed Colligan is going to say no other operating systems at a Windows Mobile Treo launch, he's intelligent. If you guys honestly believe that Palm isn't trying Treo on other OS'es your not giving Palm credit, they are a hardware company, like he hinted last year Palm is not dependant on the Palm OS. What did we see a few weeks ago?

As to Palm's stock, watch it go up once the Windows Treo starts getting closer to shipping. Bill Gates doesn't show up to just anything, having a Treo is huge for Microsoft. Corporate buyers will be buying them by the truck load. I work in the IT dept. for the Govt., they have already said they will be deploying Windows Mobile Treos because of the exchange interaction. My 650 works with exchange perfectly, but it's a windows world, and the thought that it runs windows already makes company's feel more comfortable.
    Jimmie Geddes
  13.    #33  
    They are only going to "commit" to supporting OS'es they know they can make a Treo work on. They have committed to Palm OS, they have just recently committed to Windows Mobile. They are not going to let us know what they are working on, remember the m5xx fiasco with Yankowski pre-announcing that series? Yankowski was soon ousted from Palm for that. People didn't want to buy Palm V's knowing that something else was coming. If Apple had ever let people know that they were making sure every release of OS X was working on intel processors it would have hurt them. You don't pre-announce anything unless you're very, very, very sure.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I think it's plausible that Palm may have considered developing a Symbian Treo when the future of PalmSource was in doubt prior to the Access acquisition when there was a possibility that it might have been bought be Moto etc. But now, I just don't see it. Furthermore, other sites are now publishing articles with forthwrite statements that now such Symbian devices are in the works...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I must agree weith AdamaDBrown on this one. Colligen emphatically and specifically shot this idea down in public and on the record. Unless he's interested in Martha Stewarts renovated cell, he put an end to this rumor.

Now, PalmOne almost certainly went into an OS anxiety when they realized what Sony did ... that Cobalt was dead. I imagine Symbian was looked at very intensly before the Redmond sugar daddy made em' a cash 4 hardware offer they couldn't refuse. As Michael Dell said "It's too late for Palm" ... Colligen is saying for Symbian.

See attachments for the inside scoop on the Treo 700w launch.

For the rest go to ...
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...er=asc&start=0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LiveFaith; 11/08/2005 at 02:09 AM.
    Patrick Horne
    jimmygeddes, yet another long line of Treo/Palm insiders who proves the rumors they supposedly hang so dearly to are really just from boys in the mailroom or janitors and not the Palm bigshots they play themselves to be. No Symbian Treo. Sorry...
    easy guys!

there's definitely a Treo Symbian prototype at Palm HQ - I don't think these rumors are based on hyperbole

it looks like it won't be released, but this is the TREO RUMORS board - no need to beat up on the messengers in here

in addition - Jimmie is talking about an ENGADGET report ---- so lay off the hatin'
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    easy guys!

there's definitely a Treo Symbian prototype at Palm HQ - I don't think these rumors are based on hyperbole

it looks like it won't be released, but this is the TREO RUMORS board - no need to beat up on the messengers in here

in addition - Jimmie is talking about an ENGADGET report ---- so lay off the hatin'
    Strangely, I find myself willing to believe you, with your easy, utensil holding smiling avatar.
    Mesmerized by the man with the fork...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    um... he quoted shadowmite
    ...YOUR avatar frightens me. Like a hell hound.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    Jimmie is the SOURCE of the engadget report. He runs and is the "editor" of gadgetsonthego.net . Thats whats so scary.

Surur
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast