Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How come the Treo is mainly aimed for buisness men?
    I'm a teenager and want to get one when my parents finally allow me to get a cell phone (*spaz* >< Long EVIL story why they won't, and it doesn't even make sense, so i'll spare you.). I really like the Treo because of the form factor, because i'm an obsessive instant messenger, and I love the keyboard, beause it's alot faster to type on than normal key-pad phones. However, you always hear the Treo being refered to as good for buisnesses and things like that... why don't they try to branch out and get different age groups to like the Treo, too? I know tons of teens that would buy one.
    So... yeah. That's my basic question: why is the Treo focusing on buisness, when they have such a great product they could make different brands for different people. For example, they could make the Windows-Based one, but without the bluetooth, and random fancy stuff that people my age would probably never use, make it a little bit cheaper, and... sell lots of them, most likley?
    ... The last paragraph was simply my daydreaming. << Sorry. I have the tendancy to ramble. >> I'll stop now while i'm sorta still ahead.
    a teenager has figured out what the highly paid marketing team at palm has failed to realize... the universe truly is an amazing place.

To answer the question - the only answer i can come up with is that they are clueless and cannot recognize a viable market that is slowly opening up right in front of their eyes. Meanwhile other companies are trying to one up each other with innovative products that are trying to meet this exact need. Its a shame, i believe this current of treo will be the last great stand of the platform.
    I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I'd beat 'em with a stick if he/she asked me for a $500 cell phone...Kid, my first car didn't cost that much. And this is your first cell phone???

Please tell me you have a job and can at least afford the $75 or so a month for the plan for 2 years so I can stop laughing

Sorry kid, but I think Palm realizes who their market is. We can't tailor every device to every age/education/business group out there. They have enough problems keeping this gizmo running for people who are actually shelling money out. Sorry if I sound harsh.

What ever happened to sliding notes back and forth, hoping the teacher didn't catch you and make you read it outloud to the rest of the class?
    throb, thank god you don't have kids.... "I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I'd beat 'em with a stick"
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessive_llama
    How come the Treo is mainly aimed for buisness men?
    I'm a teenager and want to get one when my parents finally allow me to get a cell phone (*spaz* >< Long EVIL story why they won't, and it doesn't even make sense, so i'll spare you.). I really like the Treo because of the form factor, because i'm an obsessive instant messenger, and I love the keyboard, beause it's alot faster to type on than normal key-pad phones. However, you always hear the Treo being refered to as good for buisnesses and things like that... why don't they try to branch out and get different age groups to like the Treo, too? I know tons of teens that would buy one.
    So... yeah. That's my basic question: why is the Treo focusing on buisness, when they have such a great product they could make different brands for different people. For example, they could make the Windows-Based one, but without the bluetooth, and random fancy stuff that people my age would probably never use, make it a little bit cheaper, and... sell lots of them, most likley?
    ... The last paragraph was simply my daydreaming. << Sorry. I have the tendancy to ramble. >> I'll stop now while i'm sorta still ahead.
    If it doesn't matter to you that it is not a T650 I would try and get a 600 first. IT does what you are looking for (IM, Internet, eMail, Documents, NES, Sega). Yeah the rez may not be so great but, hell for $200 you can't beat it with stick.

P.S. Use the school angle. If you search around you will find a mom that was looking for her son. You might find her concerns here and learn how to diffuse some of your parental units arguments againist you getting that phone.
  6.    #6  
    I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I'd beat 'em with a stick if he/she asked me for a $500 cell phone...Kid, my first car didn't cost that much. And this is your first cell phone???
    Please tell me you have a job and can at least afford the $75 or so a month for the plan for 2 years so I can stop laughing

Eh, Actually, my parents are making me pay for the entire thing. All the bill, all of the phone. Everything I do on it. So... you can stop laughing.

Sorry kid, but I think Palm realizes who their market is. We can't tailor every device to every age/education/business group out there. They have enough problems keeping this gizmo running for people who are actually shelling money out. Sorry if I sound harsh.
    I'm not saying EVERYONE, not saying to make a specific phone for every person who breathes. But, teenagers is a giant part of the population, especially a giant part of the population who has cell phones.

What ever happened to sliding notes back and forth, hoping the teacher didn't catch you and make you read it outloud to the rest of the class?
    ^^ We still do that too.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    If it doesn't matter to you that it is not a T650 I would try and get a 600 first. IT does what you are looking for (IM, Internet, eMail, Documents, NES, Sega). Yeah the rez may not be so great but, hell for $200 you can't beat it with stick.

P.S. Use the school angle. If you search around you will find a mom that was looking for her son. You might find her concerns here and learn how to diffuse some of your parental units arguments againist you getting that phone.
    Eh, I was actually going to wait for the "700", but... wait until it comes out for Sprint, beacuse, though I'm willing to pay tons for a phone, i'm not willing to pay that much every month when you could get it waaayyy cheaper. e.e; Your right that the price is alot better, but the 650 has a ton of features that I would use that are better.... and a ton I wouldn't use, but i suppose that's the tradeoff. And with the new one comming out.... i'm sure the 650 will most likely drop in price, anyway.

XP I've tried your suggestions on how to let my parents get me one. They're afraid of commiting to a phone plan for 2 years, because when I get mine they're getting one too and we're getting rid of our house phone (because it's pretty much unnessicary.). I point out every single time it would be useful having a cell phone (getting lost looking for someone's house, car trips, needing to know some random info while we're not at home, needing to contact them to take me home from extracurricular activities, ect) and ... it never does any good. x.x;
    Based on your requirements I'd recommend a Sidekick II or Blackberry 7100 series. The Sidekick has a spectacular keyboard (better than the treo) is a ideal for instant messaging and emailing. It has an intuitive user interface and is reasonably priced at $250 (even cheaper on Amazon). If that's a little too expensive and you don't care about having a built in camera then I'd go with the Blackberry 7100/7105t/g. The keyboard takes a little getting used to, but after a day or two you'll be tapping away like a pro. The BB is quad band, has good RF, a super loud speakerphone, and bluetooth. The screen is razor sharp and its very adept at one handed operation. The BB is free after rebate from Amazon. You should head down to the local T-mobile store and try both out.
    no teen needs a $600 phone. plus. its more fun (and cheaper) to pass notes.
    Dude, this phone won't make you happier, nor make any girls worth liking notice you. Look up from the IM and see the world..its a beautuful place.
    I'm guessing that the people that think that $500 is a lot for a teen to drop on a phone don't spend a lot of time around teens. These kids have way more expensive stuff than when I was in school 11 years ago. The typical kid at the high school I work at has a cellphone, ipod, laptop, psp, xbox, ps2, and digital camera. They live in a digital world. I know a lot of kids that buy the phone after I show them what it can do. Palm is missing a market here.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    I'm guessing that the people that think that $500 is a lot for a teen to drop on a phone don't spend a lot of time around teens. These kids have way more expensive stuff than when I was in school 11 years ago. The typical kid at the high school I work at has a cellphone, ipod, laptop, psp, xbox, ps2, and digital camera. They live in a digital world. I know a lot of kids that buy the phone after I show them what it can do. Palm is missing a market here.
    Because they have these things doesn't mean they need them. Why does a teen need the same gadgets as a businessperson? Call me old fashioned (I'm 35) but too many teens get consumer goods to replace the attention they get from their parents.

I have no problem with a teen buying one w/ their own money from a job but I'll be damned if I ever buy such an expensive and unnecessary item for my kid. Unless of course said kid had an entrprenurial mindset and was using it to create a business...then he could write it off on 4/15
    Give the kid a break, guys! He's paying for the phone himself. That shows a level of responsiblity, and quite frankly, so does his analysis of the smartphone market!

Also, I must agree with mrgarza. You don't spend much time around the average teenager if you think a $500 toy is unusual. There are alot of PRE-teens with expensive game systems and games, dirt bikes, etc, most of which they didn't even have to pay for.

LLama, to answer your question IMHO, you raise a very good point. There is indeed a growing market for this type of device in the younger culture. Cellphone manufacturers and carriers have begun to realize this and are now making phones and plans for kids, even under the 10yr old age.

However........the teenage smartphone market is really not that mature yet (the market, not the kids ). The younger cellphone market is just now maturing, and it stands to reason that because of the expense, there will be far, far less teens buying smartphones than business people. Also, the history of smartphones (pda's) have come up though the business market, which includes a huge array of business types of software applications.

Palm knows these things; it's all about numbers, and today, the marketing dollars have a better return going after the business sector.
    I think you will see more marketing to your age group over the upcoming years.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Personally I don't think the product will ever be positioned for the teen market. Higher margins in the business realms, as well. Possibly a next-gen Zire, but doubtfull Treo will be positioned for teens.
    I think one reason that they won't market it to teens or others for non business purposes is to avoid alienating the business market. I think many would be turned off if they thought their expensive PDA/phone was the same one being used by their teenagers to IM - if you look at the converse, how many business people do you see using a Sidekick? It does have some good features that would allow one to stay connected, but it is percieved as a phone for teenagers.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm a college student with a 650 and I love it. It keeps me in contact with work, school, fraternity, and friends. I would have said it's overkill for someone like LLAMA but I can't because I had the original PalmPilot Professional made by US ROBOTICS when I was in middle school. It help to keep me organized and on time. So adding a phone to that only seems natural since every living thing that can speak practically has one. I will agree, that if you want something like this you should fork up the cash for it and not expect your parents to get it for you.

LLAMA: Go ahead and get either the 650 or 700. I'm 23 now, and something i've come to learn is those older than you are a little slow to accept change.
    Treo 650 (Sprint)
    I don't think the main focus will ever shift, but I personally won't be at all suprised if I see a Treo ad or two on a teen website or in a teen magazine in the next couple of years.

Also, with more and more school-web integration (ie, kids checking assignments, shedules, lunch menu ordering, etc), anything web-enabled has growing potential IMHO.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I still think a middle school providing all of it's students with an iBook is stupid. Guess i'm old school at 23 years of age. :-)
    Treo 650 (Sprint)
    Why is it stupid for a middle school to provide laptops? Schools should get you ready for the world you are going to enter. In a few years, if you can't use a computer, you won't be able to do very much in this world.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Im in college, and it was my parents that thought it would be kewl to get me a Treo for Christmas in '03. I used to have an old PalmIII and a Nokia. I always got something that my Mom or Dad used. This was the first time I got something new
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    As mentioned above, there is a product aimed at IM'ing teens; the Sidekick.

Why target corporate types with the Treo? They have more money than teens.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast