1.    #1  
    As in the movie Jerry McGuire, there was one old timer coming up occasionally and saying his life long teachings... one was "I love my wife, I love my life".

In my case, I love Treos and I love my wife, so I bought two, one for each. We are loving it since this week. So we are that new in this world.

We could not figure out a few things which I finally made a list. Some are that we are not sure if those exist, so we can stop searching and some others are like we feel that we are not aware of the solution at the moment.

I just had the idea, if someone would be willing to assist me on the phone sharing his/her expertise. My number is 312 404 2200. We can setup the best time.

We both understand the technology in a decent level. So, you would be dealing with goofball.

After seeing how Treo users work to help each other like a cult, I thought about this idea. Many thanks...
    It may be best to post your questions here. One person may not be able to answer all of them . . . . . but many should be able to. . . . . as well, the answers are then here to help others with the same questions. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    I had good help from another Treo user face-to-face which really helped me get going on my own unit. I think using the forum is extremely useful, and I also think Perry makes a good point about the broad knowledge available here. I also think it's very valuable to speak to an actual person sometimes about Treo issues. I had an opportunity to help a new user a couple of weeks ago. It was fun for both of us!
    I don't consider myself a "power user" so I don't think I would be your best resource on this, izmir. But if you don't get the help you need email me directly and I'll do what I can for you.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks both Perry and louriefoss for your postings.

Here are my questions. Any one can take a piece also takes my cordial thanks. Again, anyone feeling to call me instead of typing to help me on these and have fun conversation, please feel free. (312)404-2200. Everyone to have a pleasant weekend.

izmir's questions (as of today)

Turn off?
    Does it really and completely shut off when pressing red phone button on the right? This is perhaps the simplest thing to begin but seriously I could not find the answer!!!

Outlook Contacts:
    1- I was able to download all from my pc. But I cannot get them look like a list. They line up with all the phone numbers underneath each name which cause to see less names on the screen?

Scrolling up/down:
    Is there a way to scroll down or set the side voice volume button as scroller. (again, I could not find it after a long search)

File directory:
    Is there a general file directory in Treo? I donít have an SD card yet, but I want be able to see status of internal memory. (am asking too much?  )

MP3
    1- How to move mp3 files to Treo?
    2- Do we need to convert mp3 files?

Importing pictures
    Is Palm Desktop the only way to import pictures between PC and Treo?
    Can we setup default routing for all pictures taken as well as imported from pc going into SD memory card?

Is it possible to return to previous screen by stylus on the screen?

Voice Recorder as a vocal notebook:
    I could not find a voice recorder like I can voice record of an idea/thought on the way and be able to listen when I need it. This would be handy especially when driving.

In case I want to email or beam my vcard:
    Where is my business / vcard supposed to be located? Amongst my other contacts? Isnít it normally identified as the vcard of the user/owner of the device?
    Congrats on your purchase! The Treo is incredible!

Turn off - pressing the red button rather quickly turns off the pda application, although way down deep inside, it's still "on" a bit to keep track of time and alarms. Holding the button down turns off and on the phone function, or "radio" as it's referred to. The flashing LED at the top is a quick indicator as to whether or not the phone is on.

File Manager -The Treo does not have a built-in file manager. Most people use programs like Filez (free, I think) to manage files. Search for more info on this.

MP3's -MP3's can be loaded into the Treo using some built-in integration between the Real Player that came on your cd for the Treo and the desktop version. There are also other applications that will transfer MP3's, like Windows Media Player 10, using built-in support for device transfers.

Also, for file management and mp3's, I highly reccommend a USB card reader, it's must faster and efficient than the hotsync method. I think you could load photos this way also, but I think hotsync optomized the resolution, etc.

I believe there's are some 3rd party apps to use the volume buttons to scroll.

There's also applications such as mvoice and soundrec to do voice recording.

There's a few quick answers. Just doing what I can. There's alot of great people here who are very helpful (and fun!).
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Here's my shot

Quote Originally Posted by izmir
    izmir's questions (as of today)

Turn off?
    Does it really and completely shut off when pressing red phone button on the right? This is perhaps the simplest thing to begin but seriously I could not find the answer!!!
    No. PDAs/Smartphones are never completely off unless you remove the battery.

Outlook Contacts:
    1- I was able to download all from my pc. But I cannot get them look like a list. They line up with all the phone numbers underneath each name which cause to see less names on the screen?
    This is by design in the stock contacts apps on the treo to make it easy for you to find a contact and dial the number straight away, rather than having to go into the contact, then see the numbers then dial. Some other 3rd party apps show contacts in a list with one of the phone numbers (or other info) to the right of the contact but not the stock app.

Scrolling up/down:
    Is there a way to scroll down or set the side voice volume button as scroller. (again, I could not find it after a long search)
    The program Butler can do this for you, so you can use the volume keys to scroll, otherwise just use the D-Pad up/down buttons

File directory:
    Is there a general file directory in Treo? I donít have an SD card yet, but I want be able to see status of internal memory. (am asking too much?  )
    Get Filez (free app) or RescoExplorer (costs money). There is not a stock file manager app.

MP3
    1- How to move mp3 files to Treo?
    2- Do we need to convert mp3 files?
    Due to limited memory, when transferring mp3 files, you would want to transfer them to an SD card and not the Treo internal memory. Best to use a Card Reader attached to your PC or software program CardExport, that makes your PC see your Treo as an external drive when connected via the hotsync cable.

Importing pictures
    Is Palm Desktop the only way to import pictures between PC and Treo?
    Can use a Card Reader or Card Export to transfer to the SD card, just like mp3 files.

Can we setup default routing for all pictures taken as well as imported from pc going into SD memory card?
    In the camera app you can specify one of the SD card categories (the 2nd "Unfiled" category name) so that pictures taken automatically go to the card. Unfortunately, this setting does not survive if you do or have a soft-reset take place. In that case you need to go back to the camera app and set it again.

Is it possible to return to previous screen by stylus on the screen?
    You'll need a 3rd party product like Butler or zLauncher's QuickLaunch Anywhere or McPhling or something similar that allows a button press to switch back to another app or previous application without hitting the home button on the phone.

Voice Recorder as a vocal notebook:
    I could not find a voice recorder like I can voice record of an idea/thought on the way and be able to listen when I need it. This would be handy especially when driving.
    There are 3rd party products that do this (Audacity, PAR, SoundRec, etc). None is built in

In case I want to email or beam my vcard:
    Where is my business / vcard supposed to be located? Amongst my other contacts? Isnít it normally identified as the vcard of the user/owner of the device?
    Edit the contact information you have for yourself. Click Menu -> Select Business Card
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    The only thing I can add to the above is that you can view some of the internal files by going to the default app launcher (home button) and hitting menu/app/info. It's a very weak substitute for a file manager. I also recommend that you at least get FileZ which is free.
  8.    #8  
    This is GREAT. This support is unbelievable. You all Treo users are GREAT people. undefined

Lots of thanks to gtwo, lauriefoss, tbone-Ike, samkim and especially to scottymomo who really elaborated answering all one by one. It may have sounded like in Oscars but I truly appreciate your contributions. This makes me more believe that Treo is not a techno item just on an electronic store, it is like Volkswagen Beetle culture whose owners are distinguished and care about what they own. (I work for VW, bytheway
    Opps, too late. Well, I did help by telling you that you would get help . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.

Using Documents To Go?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/10/2005 at 09:41 AM.
    Welcome to the Treo world! Do invest in an SD card, saves a lot of memory for you Treo, maybe even ZLauncher or Initiate, so you can transfer apps to the card and add some life to your screen , good luck!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the suggestions.

One question though, what did you mean by "add some life to your screen"?
    Izmir I think the rev means that zlauncher or initiate (i prefer zlauncher) allow for some visual customization. Makes you screen alot prettier than the splain old boring stock palm launcher.

Welcome to Treo and good luck
    ďThere are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.Ē
    ó Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Izmir,

When I first started using palm many years ago, I tried to use it like a PC. That didn't work; because Palm was not a PC. One thing that was helpful to me was that I tried to forget as much as possible about Microsoft Windows when I used my palm, and everything was much better after that.

Free your mind and accept the Zen of Palm
    izmir, ZLauncher or Initiate just adds color, background images, file manager, and options to send apps to your SD cards. Take a look for yourself: www.zztechs.com/en or do a search in this forum for wallpapers, splashscreens, & screensavers.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter