1.    #1  
    OK.. I love the concept of what the Treo is supposed to be, but the Treo promises much much more than it can deliver. The first month, everything was smooth. I had great reception in my home office, all the programs worked, and I never had any dropped calls. Now, however, I don't get any reception in my office, the phone resets about 5 times a day at least, and about half the time I'm on a call, the call gets dropped, and some of the programs are simply unworkable when you really need them to deliver. Kmaps is one of those programs. Free program and its sweet when Im at my desk doing nothing, but forget it when you are actually on the road and need to get somewhere. I dont mean to pick on Kmaps, but thats just my experience with the program. Its probabaly a combination of the Treo and the program.

Anyways, I am thinking about dropping the Treo and replacing it with something that is solid in the reliability department. When I shopped for a PDA Phone, nothing could match the Treo on paper, but I want to know if there is anything out there that may not be the best on paper, but delivers on the field.

Suggestions?

thanks

Stephen
    First off, have you tried taking the 650 back to the original specs and then working forward again with program add on's? No reason why the treo can't work the way it did when you first got it.

Second, I would look at the 6700, the Imate Jam, and eventually the Treo 700w.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'd stay away from the Treo 700w. From what we've seen in the past, like nunoste said, Treo promises much much more than it can deliver. I think you should look at the HTC Wizard and HTC Universal (I-Mate K-JAM and JSAR-JAR respectively). Windows Mobile 5 devices with great hardware features, on board WiFi etc. Nice form-factor, but not good if you want to use the device with only one hand. The K-JAM has a slider keyboard and the JSAR-JAR has a form factor similar to the Nokia 9xxx series. If you like Symbian, the Nokia 9500 has a QWERTY keyboard and all that good stuff, plus it multitasks well (I'm not sure on how well WM5 multitasks or if it does).

Exactly how does the Treo "promises much much more than it can deliver"?

Your issues seem to be with your carrier (dropped calls) and 3rd Party apps (Kmaps).

Out of the box, it is exaclty what it promised in the specs outside the box. After that, it is what you make of it. Choose 3rd party apps wisely and you can greatly enhance the capabilities of the device.
    I guess I'm at a loss trying to figure out how Kmaps fails in the field. If it works at your desk, why wouldn't it work in the field? Do you think it has a special "I'm in the field" chip that prevents it from working? It seems like your problem might be more with Murphy's law than anything else. If it's resetting all the time, you probably do have a really bad 3rd party application that is causing the issue. I agree with PabloTX.
    Quote Originally Posted by nunoste
    OK.. I love the concept of what the Treo is supposed to be, but the Treo promises much much more than it can deliver. The first month, everything was smooth. I had great reception in my home office, all the programs worked, and I never had any dropped calls. Now, however, I don't get any reception in my office, the phone resets about 5 times a day at least, and about half the time I'm on a call, the call gets dropped, and some of the programs are simply unworkable when you really need them to deliver. Kmaps is one of those programs. Free program and its sweet when Im at my desk doing nothing, but forget it when you are actually on the road and need to get somewhere. I dont mean to pick on Kmaps, but thats just my experience with the program. Its probabaly a combination of the Treo and the program.

Anyways, I am thinking about dropping the Treo and replacing it with something that is solid in the reliability department. When I shopped for a PDA Phone, nothing could match the Treo on paper, but I want to know if there is anything out there that may not be the best on paper, but delivers on the field.

Suggestions?

thanks

Stephen
    Can I buy your Treo from you? Mine works perfectly and I'm always looking for a spare...
    If you hadn't been following yesterday and some of this week - GOOGLE changed the way it handled data - thus breaking KMAPS for a while. The developer jumped on the problem and a fix was made within a very short period of time. Works great as of today. GOOGLE might turn off access at anytime, but for now, maps work great. Now if somehow AGPS could be used to track movements on google maps...

I understand that the tech does not work 100% of the time - that is usually the case with edgy tech like our treos and blackberries etc... however, I have to say may Treo600 has been LIGHT YEARS - absolutely LIGHT YEARS ahead of my Qualcom 7135. Maybe Treo has done so much right that the bar has been raised. I am sure that Palm will meet it. I also have faith in the Palm developers - always responsive and frankly able to do things that are quite amazing.
    Get CrashPro and turn on logging and have it show you exactly what is
    causing your crashes, then nuke the program that does it the most.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    I always use *18 to find the strongest signal at my job and that usually works...