Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ed Colligan doesn't seem to think so, he uses a Treo as his phone, a Lifedrive as his camera companion, and..... an iPod for his music. What's up with that?!!

Source: PalmAddict interview
    I only have "one" open position on my belt. It is taken by a Treo 650 w/ 200 songs on the SD card. . . . . .

Apparently, he has a trio of open spots on his belt. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I've been trying the Treo as a music device it's not as convenient as my iPod, syncing with the Treo is a pain in the ****. With iTunes you can manage all of your music in one interface. I'm not sure how it's done on Windows but on a Mac I have to manually go into the SD card and delete songs I don't want on my Treo.
    I use an 80 gig MP3 player which is nearly full and which has a battery life of 12-15 hours (my own measurements/observations)...the Treo, while a wonderful device, simply cannot compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherv
    I use an 80 gig MP3 player which is nearly full and which has a battery life of 12-15 hours (my own measurements/observations)...the Treo, while a wonderful device, simply cannot compete.

Hi Sherv!

It's not supposed to compete. Any function specific device will beat the Treo in that specific application area. Where the Treo shines is that it does many things, IMHO, well. It's my pda, cell phone, camera, email/Inernet device, iPod, reference library, calculator, check book . . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/04/2005 at 12:22 PM.
    I have a Treo 650 with a 1gb SD card and a Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter
    and play songs over my car's Bose stereo speakers using PocketTunes.

Rocks. Great stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    It's not supposed to compete. Any function specific device will beat the Treo in that specific application area.
    I'd have to disagree. In particular, MP3 players are one of the simplest devices on the planet hardware-wise, and they'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

The only potential things the Treo (or any high-end PDA, for that matter) has going against it as an MP3 player are software and lack of storage capacity. It's got more than enough basic hardware to do the job.

We should be seeing 20GB+ SD cards (or the equivalent) in 2-3 years, and even now 2GB is pretty reasonable for use as a portable player; that's like 15-20 CDs on a card at 192kbps MP3 encoding. The current issues with the Treo not supporting large filesystems are easily fixable in software.

Sure, I'd like to haul around my entire CD collection, about 40GB as MP3s. That's just not practical with flash storage right now; I can live with the compromise, copying songs over to a card is easy enough and I can always buy multiple cards if it gets to be a real problem. (Not cheap... but being an "early adopter" never is.)

The software is a matter of personal preference. I find my Treo with Pocket Tunes far easier to use than most dedicated MP3 players. I've never liked the ubiquitous nested menu structure used on most of these low-rent MP3 gadgets (and cellphones), it's just a cheap way out of providing a real set of controls.

And special "sync" software drives me up the wall. I much prefer just treating songs as files--which I can easily do with SD cards. My entire collection is already stored, organized, chopped, filed, spindled, and mutilated the way I want it; I just need an easy way to copy files over in bulk.

But my biggest gripe with multiple gadgets is having to remember to charge them all up. Combine that with non-replaceable batteries , and I hardly ever used my iPod because the battery was always flat. (That, and the crummy interface.) The Treo has a few compromises as an MP3 player, but it's the lack of small portable storage, not the basic hardware design, that's the real issue.
    IMO... it doesn't get any sweeter than pocket tunes. When u factor in shoutcast & gloonet... access hundereds on internet radio stations, and your mp3's on your home pc... No mp3 player on the market can compete
    HTC Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    Ed Colligan doesn't seem to think so, he uses a Treo as his phone, a Lifedrive as his camera companion, and..... an iPod for his music. What's up with that?!!

If that's true, then I guess Ed is disappointed with space and the sound quality of the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by 42ndSSD
    I'd have to disagree. In particular, MP3 players are one of the simplest devices on the planet hardware-wise, and they'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.
    Well, part of his point might have been that since the pda/phone has to power its radios, battery life can never be comparable...but hey, maybe you don't consider battery life relevant....
    Of course, the Treo doesn't have the capacity or battery of an Ipod or other music player. However, if you get a 1-2gb card and use PocketTunes, you can listen to a lot of music. If you use some good earbuds like the Etymotic e6i's, and rip your music to a cd-quality format and bitrate, the sound is awesome. I don't just mean okay, I mean as good or better than any Ipod or other mp3 player.
    Last edited by gapost; 10/04/2005 at 03:59 PM.
    Mabe the treo 700p will be a good musc device. I like to stream the news via ptunes without headphones but the speaker sounds like a fisherprice kiddy toy.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Maybe the treo put too much weight on his neck.

http://factorydirectcellular.com/ima...bear-neck2.jpg
    Well I agree for the most part, the SQ with pTunes is as good as you could want, and I just found a great program for synching your music to the treo shuffler. All it needs for me is either a USB2 connection to make file xfer fast or an internal harddisk plus some external controls for volume, fwd/back track and I'd be all set. I dont want to haul round an ipod when my treo has quality this good. Fwiw, I wouldn't want a hard disk in it anyway, I'd rather have less storage with flash mem because they break and use muchos power. Hence we are seeing 4gb flash devices from apple. Brave new world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz

Maybe the tech guys at Palm haven't told good old Ed about Pocket Tunes
    You know, I have VERY high end Sennheiser headphones, as well as good Sony earbuds. The Treo650 (at least with the RealPlayer) does NOT sound as good as my PC, Stereo, Muvo TX, or 4G iPod. Or even my Kyocera 7135 with BeBobber software.

That's why I have an alternative player.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    hey - this is waht's great about this phone-- to one it's an e-mail device to another it's an MP3 player. With all of the different programs availbale it cam be something different to everyone
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    You know, I have VERY high end Sennheiser headphones, as well as good Sony earbuds. The Treo650 (at least with the RealPlayer) does NOT sound as good as my PC, Stereo, Muvo TX, or 4G iPod. Or even my Kyocera 7135 with BeBobber software.

That's why I have an alternative player.

-Warr
    My Kyocera 7135 also sounded a lot better than my 650
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smcracraft
    I have a Treo 650 with a 1gb SD card and a Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter
    and play songs over my car's Bose stereo speakers using PocketTunes.

Rocks. Great stuff.
    Whats the battery life like on that transmitter? Sounds like a great option
    I think I'm going to pick up one of the FM Transmitters myself. Then I can easily play the tunes off of my Treo throught the car stereo, home stereo, radio in the kitchen, clock radio, etc.

Another idea for a spot where you want some of your music:
    -get an FM transmitter for your Treo, a cheap portable FM radio('walkman' style), and a decent 3-pc set of self powered computer speakers.

Most of us know how good some of these computer speakers with subs sound. I've used this setup as a portable setup with a walman and it works great. Fairly easy to move from one place to another and sounds great for it's size and portability. When I get the transmitter, I can play the tunes on my SD card through the setup!

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast