Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    people are very comfortable with the current dedicated keyboard design right now and I wonder if this idea will appeal very much, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I very much like the 650's layout. I like the 700w's layout even more, particularly because the buttons are larger which will probably translate into easier data input.

what if we added TWO MORE dedicated buttons into the design? look at it this way - the 700w's menu and home buttons are TWICE the size of those of the 650. what if we split the home button into two separate keys, and the menu button into two separate keys?

by doing this, obviously we would have 8 dedicated buttons above the qwerty keyboard, which would allow us to have more keys to dedicate our favorite applications to?

the 650's dedicated pad allows us to open only 3 chosen applications. of course you could assign secondary applications to each hard button through preferences - this requires you to press the option button then the hard button to open the secondary app, but this is awkward. I would much prefer a one-touch access to my favorite and most frequently used applications.

so, by having 8 buttons above the qwerty keyboard rather than 6, as we have now, not including the 5-way nav, we could have dedicated buttons for:

1)phone
    2)web
    3)email
    4)instant messenger
    5)calendar
    6)home
    7)menu
    8)power on/off

you could still assign secondary applications for each dedicated button, but you'd have more hard keys to dedicate to all of your PRIMARY or favorite communication applications FIRST. this would make it much faster and easier to switch from an email application to the web browser or calender for example. ( improved one-handed experience )

I would hope there'd be a strong possibility for this design on the treo 800. there appears to be enough usable space, and I know palm's tends to modify their keyboard layout somewhat with each successive treo model.

I would LOVE to see this happen. thoughts?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I was hoping you had a mock-up of a keyboard design.

I could definitely use more dedicated app buttons. I think Palm likes to keep things simple - probably a Jeff Hawkins handheld philosophy. I'd agree that there's a limit, where it starts to get too complex, but we're not there yet.

I'd also like a jog dial on the side; and another switch on top, either to turn off the Treo, or to lock the keyboard so that it won't turn itself on when it's in my pocket. (KeyGuard is ineffective.)
    Last edited by samkim; 10/04/2005 at 11:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    ill see what I can do regarding mockups of the layout. I agree with the notion that you want to keep things simple, but maybe it would help future users new to the treo by showing them the main application icons on the keyboard itself.
    I like the jog dial idea as well, and the keyguard is another good point. I'm going to see what I can do with photoshop and figure out if I can draw up a layout.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I, too, was expecting a mock up, but you make some good points w/o one.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Are you talking about splitting each of the menu and home buttons in half to form two more buttons? I look forward to seeing a mock up.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "Are you talking about splitting each of the menu and home buttons in half to form two more buttons? I look forward to seeing a mock up"

- naivete

yes, I think splitting the home and menu buttons into two would allow us 2 more dedicated keys - for instant messaging and web above the keys dedicated to calendar and email. all your primary means of communication accessible directly from your keyboard - much better for one-handed navigation between apps.

give me some time with the mockup - I'm a newbie to the photoshop thing.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    ok, here is my first photoshop attempt. fair warning here, i am no expert on doing photoshop mockups, so bear with me. i will try to add a few icons into each hard key in the future, but for now, just wanted to put the original idea out there. what do ya think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    in my opinion, this design makes maximum use of all the space, or "real estate" available on the treo for keyboard functionality.
    once the qwerty keys reach a certain size, as they are on the t700w, there really isn't much more room left for further key enlargements. I'm going to try a few more mockups to see how other ideas look, but so far the above photo would probably be my first choice in what I would want to see in the next treo
    Looks good. If I had a choice, I'd pick this over the 700w version. More buttons is better.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    thanks, sam.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002

so, by having 8 buttons above the qwerty keyboard rather than 6, as we have now, not including the 5-way nav, we could have dedicated buttons for:

1)phone
    2)web
    3)email
    4)instant messenger
    5)calendar
    6)home
    7)menu
    8)power on/off
    Not exactly what you're proposing, but I have 11 applications assigned to my hard buttons without having to use the Option button at all. See:

http://tinyurl.com/735dz

I do like your idea for adding more hard buttons though. Good thinking.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    that's an excellent application, meyerweb. thanks for posting the link! I'm going to give that a try on the 650 now.
    for the current treos, meyerweb's post this may be the best solution for launching apps directly from the hard keys.
    I am just thinking it would be nice to have additional hard keys available to us on the keyboard, though.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    a second mockup with icons added to hard keys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am just thinking it would be nice to have additional hard keys available to us on the keyboard, though.
    No argument from me on that one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Nice! Why didn't Palm think of that? They need you on their design team.
    a second mockup with icons added to hard keys
    so it can run both POS and WM?
    As a former Treo owner....I now have the PPC-6600, which has 9 programable buttons, and believe me...it is VERY nice to have your most favorite apps from camera to email to games to whatever you mostly use just one click away.

So IMHO.....PALM, listen this is a great idea!
    By adding apps to those keys you've removed the softkeys, which is one of the main usability features of WM5. You should at least keep the two center buttons unassigned as softkeys.

Surur
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    surur, by softkeys you are referring to the "home" key and "menu" key, correct?

actually, I have left those softkeys in the layout. I'm sure its hard to make those two out though since my photoshop skills are a little green. but if you look closely, you'll see that the top left key is the dedicated home button, and the top right key is the dedicated menu key. is that what you're referring to?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "So IMHO.....PALM, listen this is a great idea! "

- HobbesIsReal

thanks, HobbesIsReal.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast