Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "Nice! Why didn't Palm think of that? They need you on their design team. "

- naivete

thankyou, too, naivete.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Softkeys are NOT dedicated, thats the point. Their function changes depending on whats shown on the screen. Softkeys should be blank. I like your work, and its nice and clear, but the e-mail and little running running man should be blank.

Surur
    Soft keys in WM are blank and are assigned a function by the application on the screen - kinda like some ATMs.
    Also the home and menu keys are redundant, as the windows key brings up the start menu, and pressing the OK key a few times will bring you back to the today screen (home in WM). I'm sure they can be used for something else though.

Surur
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    gotcha surur. now I understand what you're saying. I am not familiar with windows mobile yet so I'm learning as I go here. this is good food for thought.
    I'm going to look into the windows interface this weekend and try to familiarize a little with it. thanks for the feedback, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    ok, here is my first photoshop attempt. fair warning here, i am no expert on doing photoshop mockups, so bear with me. i will try to add a few icons into each hard key in the future, but for now, just wanted to put the original idea out there. what do ya think?
    great idea!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I like it!
    thats a GREAT idea
    I know the Treo is tried and true as a form factor. But the reason I cannot yet make the leap from my TT3 is my lust for screen real estate.

The Palm OS Cingular 8215 (HTC) is very attractive IMO. I like the candybar Treo design better in most ways, but the square screen has to go. For web, e-mail, SMS and docs, this landscape keyboard design rocks. But for everything else I prefer the stationary Treo design. The keyboard design on the 8215 looks cheesy compared to the 650, but it shold be much easier to use from a size standpoint. How thick an 8215 would be, I do not know?

Give me the large screen, proper integration and pocketability and I will jump.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I tweaked the length of the screen a little bit in this mockup. makes having landscape mode a little more useful
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    extended screen and removed the antenna. takes on the look of a treo/blackberry hybrid.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    one more drawing. this time with larger dedicated send and end call buttons - more in proportion to match the lengthened screen.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    one more drawing. this time with larger dedicated send and end call buttons - more in proportion to match the lengthened screen.
    I like the mockups, especially this one. I look forward to the day when the antenna no longer sticks out. Good job.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    in my opinion, the keyboard is what makes the treo distinctive. the attached example might appeal to those who prefer to keep the keyboard and still have a 480 x 320 hi res screen.

the dedicated "send" and "end call" buttons may be reincorporated as softkeys on the phone screen. exiting out and returning to the main screen would again make full use of the 480 x 320 screen.

by hitting a menu button, which could be added to the keyboard, or to the side of the treo ( where the volume keys are located ) you could pop up a small menu on the bottom of the screen which includes all of the keys which formerly were dedicated to email, calendar, web, phone, and power on, etc, and choosing which app to launch that way. A 5-way nav pad could also be placed on the side of the treo rather than where it is currently located on the 650. might not be as comfortable as having it above the keyboard, but it IS an option in order to make room for a 480 x 320 hi res screen.

pressing that menu key on the keyboard again would close out that softkey menu and return you to the full use of the 480 x 320 screen again.
    Last edited by vw2002; 11/10/2005 at 11:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    another option would be to simply place a rocker wheel on the side of the treo - as in the RIMM blackberry design.

hit the menu key, which brings up a tabbed list of several different menus - phone, camera, messaging, calendar, web browser, etc. scroll down to the menu you want with the rocker wheel, press it in to launch that feature or app, and then use the rocker wheel to navigate within it.
    I think with that sort of blueprint, palm could certainly bring us a 480 x 320 res treo.
    I agree with naivete. I personally like the "treoberry 2" the best.. I'd love to see that hit the market!
    now if they can just make that slim like the razorberry...
    the treoberry 2 mockup is sweet!
    bigger screen, bigger keys, same tight keyboard. love it!
    though i'm a palm lover like most of u, i'm trying to look at things very objectively and i still find the Treo 700w really ugly. not coz it's not running palm, i just don't like the appearance.

what i'm trying to say here is that it's without a doubt that there will be a future treo running palm os (palm linux.. whatever), but i hope it doesn't look like the 700w.
    Let's see:

How long AFTER Sony's clie did Palm finally release a 320x320 Tungsten?

And how long after Sony'w 480x320 did we finally see one on a Palm?

And where is our first VGA Palm?

Hmmmm - right - they're going to innovate tomorrow and incorporate a landscape hires screen on a sliding horizontal keyboard...and it is called (drumroll please):

HTC Wizard.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    FWIW, I'm going to disagree with a "flaw" that surur pointed out earlier. WM5 does have virtual soft buttons and two of the hard keys are meant to map to those. However, I think that MS made a poor decision in their usability guidelines (requirements?) here. IMO, the device should have a dedicated app menu button because you will very often have a need to access additional functions not visible on-screen. What I found with my brief bit of playtime with a WM5 device (the PPC-6700) was that most apps ended up dedicating one of those soft buttons for opening the app menu. So, if 90% of apps are going to use the button for that, a better approach would have been for devices to have a dedicated app menu button. Then, you could free up that soft button for a different commonly-used (for that particular app) function.

BUT...I think that these WM5 devices would be better served without the soft buttons at all. Consider the Palm OS Treo 600/650. In Blazer, there is a row of icons which offer you semi-quick access to about five different functions. You press the spacebar to bring the blue focus ring in and out of that area and then use the D-Pad to navigate to the function you want. On WM2003SE (and prior) devices, apps would often have a similar row of icons, except that you'd tap on them with your stylus. IMO, they should have kept that concept the same in WM5 and ditched the two soft buttons which now afford you only two easy-access functions (versus five or more) for the same amount of [now-wasted] screen real estate. They could have followed the Treo's example by having the spacebar quickly move focus in and out of that region.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast