Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    And why exactly is the 700w announcement not cannibalizing sales of the Verizon Treo 650?
    Different OSes and specs for one. Also you have to remember that Palm is just 1/3 of this announcement. Perhaps Microsoft and Verizon drove them to the announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Different OSes and specs for one. Also you have to remember that Palm is just 1/3 of this announcement. Perhaps Microsoft and Verizon drove them to the announcement.
    I think it was a rush by all. Probably totally coincidental but within a week after the Engadget leaked photos of the real thing, Palm "announces" the Monday morning pre-CITA press conference. Then the demo man talks extensively about how they were "putting the presentation together" on the fly while rounding everybody up in San Francisco.

Then of course, RIM pushes out it's "new stuff" announcement (was that a reaction, or was the MicroPalmZon a pre-emptive strike on RIM). Who knows, but it all smells fishy for the "pre-announcement" at least 3 months in advance of a product release. Although this is NOT a consumer announcement, it was enterprise targeted, they will still lose out on year end sales this way.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Bottomline

Is it going to happen at the end of the month, or no ??

I don't think so !!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    It most certainly is going to hurt Treo 650 sales this quarter.

I was just explaining what Palm has said in the past about not talking about products too far in advance. They're not going to announce a 700p four months in advance of release.

I do think they mucked up this announcement. They should have foreseen the "PalmOS is dead" nonsense, and they could have prevented it.

cgordonn has a valid point. Corporations are slow machines and need lots of lead time.

My theory was that with so many competitors like Motorola and Blackberry launching products, they needed to get out there as early as possible - so that people who would have gone for say, the Q in December, might wait just a little longer knowing that the 700w is right around the corner.
    good point here ---- I bet everyone was ready to jump on the 6700 or Moto Q before the Treo 700w announcement
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    good point here ---- I bet everyone was ready to jump on the 6700 or Moto Q before the Treo 700w announcement
    And a typical Palm announcement, with no committed delivery date, has changed that?
    is it the end of the month yet???
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    is it the end of the month yet???
    No, it is still the silly season. Will Palm disappoint again?
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Last year the 650 was announced the 27th. I wouldn't expect it any earlier this year.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    There will be a successor to the Treo 650, there has to. Will we see it by the end of the month, I doubt it. I don't even know if we'll see it by the end of the year, as the 650 is still selling like hotcakes. The only reason to update the 650 would be to add more memory and EVDO. I think this comes in with Sprint's announcment that they will offer BlackBerry Connect on Palm Treos in 2006, this is the Treo 700p I believe. I'd love to see a new Treo as much as everyone else, but lets face it the 650 is doing so well Palm does not need to by the end of this month.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    Last year the 650 was announced the 27th. I wouldn't expect it any earlier this year.
    When does silly season end? Does it continue until Palm delivers? Can we just let it die? Do we have to wait for some specific event or non-event?
    Amidst the frenzy of speculation, I 'll just add my two silver dimes; I can't see a palm Treo coming either before or near the release of their new "baby" which is the Windows Treo. I see more and more folk with 650s now that they have it cheaper with new contracts and all. These are non-tech folk who do not even know of this community!! I know for I have been assisting them with their high tech toy. So Palm is at this point banking on the average Joe to come on board and buy up their 650s thus boosting sales while courting the small business community. Heck, I only had mine for like a month and not much of a learning curve for me since I had the 600 for over a year. You can imagine the ooohs and ahhhs that come from the layperson's mouth when they find out what this device can do...especially when it is my hands!
    So the 650 still has strong legs to run on and I don't see a new one until late quarter '06 to coincide with the Christmas season. Hope I am wrong..
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    Amidst the frenzy of speculation, I 'll just add my two silver dimes; I can't see a palm Treo coming either before or near the release of their new "baby" which is the Windows Treo. I see more and more folk with 650s now that they have it cheaper with new contracts and all. These are non-tech folk who do not even know of this community!! I know for I have been assisting them with their high tech toy. So Palm is at this point banking on the average Joe to come on board and buy up their 650s thus boosting sales while courting the small business community. Heck, I only had mine for like a month and not much of a learning curve for me since I had the 600 for over a year. You can imagine the ooohs and ahhhs that come from the layperson's mouth when they find out what this device can do...especially when it is my hands!
    So the 650 still has strong legs to run on and I don't see a new one until late quarter '06 to coincide with the Christmas season. Hope I am wrong..
    I totally agree with you. I don't think a new 'Treo p' will be out until summer 06 at the earliest. I just picked up my T650 the day of the press conference, when I realized that a new Treo p was not in the near future. It was time for an upgrade being I had the T600 since Nov. 03.

Hope I'm wrong about the release of the T700p also, but I don't think so.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?

Not Christmas of '06!!!! Let it not be so!
    You may be correct and I too hope you are not. Regardless of an "on the shelf" date, I would be surprised if an announcement were not made well before the release like they have done with the 700w. I think an announcement would go a long way towards calming the fears of many that Palm has no plans for the Palm OS. I know it would satisfy me for a while.
    I agree, there is little chance that Palm would release a new Palm OS Treo before the WM5 version comes out, thats just not likely given the hoopla around the MS deal and the fact that 650 sales are doing fine among the customers that are not dead set against a non-windows device.

Given that, there is no reason for them to announce a new PalmOS Treo soon since that would likely kill sales of the 650. Announcing now that there will be a 700p next summer or so would really be "pulling and Osborne" (note: vintage computer reference. Osborne Computer destroyed itself by announcing a new version way before it would ship, that dried up sales of the existing device so bad the company eventually went under.) In fact, Handspring did this with the 600 announcing it well before it was ready to ship, that dried up sales of the 300 and put them in a real bad cash-flow situation. Of course, thanks to that, Sprint discounted the things big time, and I got mine free after rebates! Handspring, though, felt it needed to announce since it needed a 'buzz' as it was looking for someone to buy them out.

So why announce the 700w so soon? Well, although it might hurt 650 sales a bit, the market they are really going for with that are the businesses that would not by a 650 or 700p anyway. So while there will likely be some effect on 650 sales, it should not be that significant.

On another note, just took a business trip, convention in Chicago, and there were 600s and 650s everywhere. There were 4 of us that had them in the rows next to me on the plane up!

Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I totally agree with you. I don't think a new 'Treo p' will be out until summer 06 at the earliest. I just picked up my T650 the day of the press conference, when I realized that a new Treo p was not in the near future. It was time for an upgrade being I had the T600 since Nov. 03.

Hope I'm wrong about the release of the T700p also, but I don't think so.
    Perhaps. However, Palm must keep its eye on external competition as well as competition within and among its own products. Its most loyal customers are those that buy a Treo as a PDA but that is the smallest market. The big market is the "smartphone" market. While they may be the technology leader in this market, they have only a small share.

The carriers have a bias in favor of cheap phones and billable services, e.g., applications, services, storage. That is one reason why the 650, designed to appeal to carriers, did not include more storage.
    Every indication is that Palm is still selling all of the Treo 650's they can ship, and the 700w helps lock down the enterprise market. I still say no new Palm OS Treo. My bet, we'll all be "transitioned" to the WM platform over the next year, and they'll reserve what's left of the Palm OS/Linux development for the long promised "Treo family" which will be the low end feature phones.

Alas poor Palm, we knew you well (apologies to WS).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Is there any way to get my hands on Blazer 4.3, or upgrade?
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    ...for the long promised "Treo family" which will be the low end feature phones...
    Palm needs to get off it's rump and target the Sidekick.
    It's beginning to annoy me.
    A cheap $90-$150 Palm OS Treo with threaded text messaging, a sub-VGA camera and the QWERTY camera would DOMINATE.

Screw Bluetooth, WiFi, even a SD slot. Do these teenagers that like the SKII miss it? NO. I doubt they even know what a SD Card is.

The pop gadget market has been waiting for a replacement for the Motorola 2-way pager explosion of 1999-2000. Remember that?

The keyboard was key to that. A low end Treo with high end features stripped out at sub-$160. They'd kill the market.

Come on, Palm. I'm no business major, this is logic.
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    Someone in NYC might be able to confirm or deny this. I was riding in a cab Friday night and went by Madison Square Garden. There is a large orange billboard from Palm featuring a treo. The artwork does not look like the 600, 650, or 700p. The unit appears to possibly be a new treo design. The buttons were similar to the 650 but the earpiece was more like the 700p. I took a couple of pictures with my treo but they of course looked like crap. Can anyone near there snap a couple of pictures of this billboard? It's near the main entrance to the Garden.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast