Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    BlackBerry Connect for Treos announce by Sprint.
    http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/1...to-sprint.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Awesome!

this is basically confirmation of a new Treo with Palm OS, as well!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
  3.    #3  
    Thats what I am thinking, but it's also possible that Sprint might offer this service on all their Treo's. I like to think like you though, a new Treo!
    Jimmie Geddes
    it doesn't make sense to me that they would spend this long making up BLACKBERRY CONNECT for Palm, if their grand plan was to trash the Palm OS

I didn't believe it before, but now I think we'll definitely see a Treo 700p running on Cobalt or whatever....
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Blackberry Connect for Palm OS = Vaporware. They announced it years ago. They even had an announcement page up for at least a year. It will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    Blackberry Connect for Palm OS = Vaporware. They announced it years ago. They even had an announcement page up for at least a year. It will never happen.
    Don't know If we can agree with this. Your have your facts straight indeed (feels like longer then a year) but w/ Balckberry connect finally seeing the light w/ Cingular, and the legal woes starting to go away (see Patent Lawsuit w/ NRP) I tend to thing it's just around the corner for Sprint.

Balckberry is coming out with a number of new phones this year (Per Phone Scoop), but with the MS competetion growing, it would be in there best interest to get this software on a few more phones...
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    yep - I'd usually agree that its vaporware, but the articles coming out now clearly state that Sprint will have it by early 2006
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Sorry to bump up this thread but I got this in my email.

http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/ne...l?reqid=768097

It didn't specify a carrier, so does that mean all may carry it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This is not vapor ware since the last time they did not demo the product as they have on-line. I was told by my Cingular rep 1Q06 BB Connect will be available to Cingular subscribers
    I am tryiong to put off having to wear a Blackberry. I don't want to abandon my investment in my Treo. But Sprint is not responding on whether they will probive BBC. Are any other carriers responding?

Al
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Well... I feel that since sprint is selling the Blackberry already.. its only a matter of time before they fully endorse the program into their phones... I hope the new Treo "P" will have BBC...

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lessBlackberry

KAOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Bledsoe
    I am tryiong to put off having to wear a Blackberry. I don't want to abandon my investment in my Treo. But Sprint is not responding on whether they will probive BBC. Are any other carriers responding?
    Carriers are testing it at present. Plus....give them some time...settlement was what 5-6 days ago ? No one was gonna go anywhere and risk being brought in as 3rd party defendant while that was up in the air.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    All this being said - WTF? It's ready for release TODAY - they were using it at CEBit... Why a year?
    well, we're nearing the end of Q1, they better do something soon if they plan on doing it. I don't expect to see it any time soon. They never even gave us the HUGE firmware upgrade they promised in Feb.
    Sorry for the dumb question, but for bbc to work on my next treo, will my company have to invest in a blackberry server or some sort of other hardware?
    Last edited by BrotherNov; 03/10/2006 at 09:24 AM.
    I'm not sure why anybody wants Blackberry Connect on a Treo when solutions like Good exist. Is it a cost thing? I honestly haven't investigated either option since my use is strictly personal. For me, Chattermail is all I need. But the expectations for BB Connect seem high and I just don't get it. As a complete outsider to the discussion, it just seems to me that a solution like Gooklink, designed specifically for the Treo, would be better than something for another device entirely that has been ported over to the Treo. Am I nuts?
    At my employer, we have both BB and Good (BB is vast majority). From what I understand from IT, the backend server maintenance for BB is a royal pain while Good is far easier. As a Good user, I'm very happy with it and with the Treo, blows the BB away in terms of extendability. Most of my coworkers have BB and while their devices are good at what they can do, they simply can't come close to what a Treo can do. In terms of email/PIM synch, both BB and a Treo with Good are very comparable.

According to http://www.palm.com/us/enterprise/pr...y_connect.html, BBConnect will only support email and calendar wireless synch. With Good, you can do email, calendar, to do, notes, and contacts synch, so Good is better from that perspective as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNov
    Sorry for the dumb question, but for bbc to work on my next treo, will my company have to invest in a blackberry server or some sort of other hardware?
    That's not a dumb question, but rather a deciding factor for your company's IT department. Yes, unless you use a third-party hosting service for your e-mail, Blackberries require installation of a Blackberry server attached to your e-mail server(s) -- whether Exchange, Lotus Notes/Domino, etc.

If they already support Blackberries, then it's an easier decision to use BBC (when it's available); if they don't, then various Exchange push mail systems give you the same (and more) functionality for less investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    I'm not sure why anybody wants Blackberry Connect on a Treo when solutions like Good exist. Is it a cost thing? I honestly haven't investigated either option since my use is strictly personal. For me, Chattermail is all I need. But the expectations for BB Connect seem high and I just don't get it. As a complete outsider to the discussion, it just seems to me that a solution like Gooklink, designed specifically for the Treo, would be better than something for another device entirely that has been ported over to the Treo. Am I nuts?
    A lot of us don't have a choice. If I don't get BB Connect for my Treo, than I can't access my corporate email. My company is definately not going to also start paying for licenses for GoodLink since they've already been using BB for years. I can only hold out from buying a BB until maybe the August timeframe. Hopefully a 700p with BB Connect is out by then for Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    For my company, Good is not an option since we use Lotus/Domino. Good is working on a solution, but doesn't have one yet. We have 5 Treo users that each use the Seven product - Sprint Business Connection, Cingular Xpress Mail, etc. They get push e-mail, 2-way calendar sync, desktop My Documents access, corporate contact access, etc. and there is no server to buy (although the software needs to run on a PC all of the time). I am not sure how BB Connect would be any better for a small installation or for an individual who would otherwise use BB WebConnect. For larger installations, BB would be the only one to support Lotus/Domino unless Good beats them to it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast