Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pray you ask, how would I know such a thing?!

Well because PalmOS Garnet (or FrankenGarnet) does NOT have support for 1xEvDo telephony stack!! Thus, I highly doubt Palm would release yet another 1xrtt based PalmOS Treo when they have already stated that the WM Treo 700 will indeed support 1xEvDo. (However dumber things have happenned)

Thus assuming support for a 1xEvDo radio and thusly the need for Cobalt based PalmOS, I think it's possible to deduce now the specs of the next gen PalmOS Treo which imo will almost completely resemble the specs of the WM Treo 700 (with exception to a 320x320 rez screenie).

Any thoughts?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

Well because PalmOS Garnet (or FrankenGarnet) does NOT have support for 1xEvDo telephony stack!! Thus, I highly doubt Palm would release yet another 1xrtt based PalmOS Treo when they have already stated that the WM Treo 700 will indeed support 1xEvDo. (However dumber things have happenned)

Thus assuming support for a 1xEvDo radio and thusly the need for Cobalt based PalmOS, I think it's possible to deduce now the specs of the next gen PalmOS Treo which imo will almost completely resemble the specs of the WM Treo 700 (with exception to a 320x320 rez screenie).

Any thoughts?
    I would be down with it, if the 700 wasn't sooooooooooo .........................so ........ah, I don't know .....ugly.

Any thoughts?
    ... ...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    You've listened to the engadget podcast, haven't you. I do not think there is any guarantee. Did POS have a support for WIFI or bluetooth?

Surur
    I sure hope so but isn't there another possibility? What if palmsource (or whomever owns the software side) is done building the OS for a treo for sprint? Sprint and Verizon are the parties who have EVDO in the marketplace. What if palmsource says "We can't compete with WM5 so we will just keep what we have and put it into the cheaper flip phones." I mean, isn't there a lot of articles already that say that the POS is pretty much a year or two behind in development?

Your idea (however novel) seems to be based on the assumption that the next treo that comes out for Sprint will be a POS. Isn't it more likely that the next OS on a sprint treo will be WM5? And if it is, then how much longer can Palmsource wait before releasing something that will support EVDO? Assuming it does come out next year, will Sprint want to wait that long? I am thinking that Sprint is probably working overtime to get a EVDO treo out before people migrate over to Verizon.

Maybe Im missing something...I don't follow much on the OS side :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I would be down with it, if the 700 wasn't sooooooooooo .........................so ........ah, I don't know .....ugly.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Doom are you aware of the smiley site I use? It might help expand your um, vocab.

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/gallery.htm
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 10/01/2005 at 04:55 PM. Reason: changed "sight" to "site"
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    You've listened to the engadget podcast, haven't you. I do not think there is any guarantee. Did POS have a support for WIFI or bluetooth?

Surur

Yeah I listen to the podcast, but I have been saying this loooong before as well:

http://www.1src.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=47

My observations at the time were based on conversations with Palm execs at the Treo Roadshow last year. Obviously, many things have chnaged since then including the release of Cobalt 6.1 which apparently significantly increased the telephony support in the OS I assume.

In regards to BT/Wifi, Garnet and even PalmOS 4.x have always supported this. Howver the issue of drivers for 3rd pary accessories is a different matter...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If Garnet POS can support WIFI and bluetooth I'm sure it can support EVDO also. If NVFS can be backported from Cobalt, so can EVDO support. On the other hand rumors for a Cobalt Treo have become stronger and stronger recently, and rumors in general seem to be more right than wrong. I'm just saying I'm not sure EVDO automatically means Cobalt.

Surur
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I sure hope so but isn't there another possibility? What if palmsource (or whomever owns the software side) is done building the OS for a treo for sprint? Sprint and Verizon are the parties who have EVDO in the marketplace. What if palmsource says "We can't compete with WM5 so we will just keep what we have and put it into the cheaper flip phones." I mean, isn't there a lot of articles already that say that the POS is pretty much a year or two behind in development?
    That is a possbility, but I think most people realize the Garnet has really reached its EOL (end of life) as a sustainable platform. You arguement that perhaps Garnet will continue to be used in low end phones may be plausible, but you would then have to assume all these 'low end' phones will support 1xEvDo only? Where would the market for that be? I'm pretty certain that both VeriZon and Sprint will want to quickly shift most of their phones to 1xEvDo. Even if users will only want to use/pay for 1xrtt, most of these 1xEvDo phones will be backward compatible with 1xrtt. In short, i just don't see a market for Garnet based devices in the low end in the future anymore...

Your idea (however novel) seems to be based on the assumption that the next treo that comes out for Sprint will be a POS. Isn't it more likely that the next OS on a sprint treo will be WM5?
    No, because Palm has already stated that Verizon will have an extended period of exclusivity for the WM Treo 700. Thus if Sprint wanted the WM Treo, it would have to wait a very looong time, perhaps even into the second part of 2006. It is more likely imo, that a Cobalt based Treo could be released by Sprint in the interim imo. Recall there is no exclusivity given to Verizon afaikafaikafaik $for$ $a$ $next$ $Gen$ $PalmOS$ $based$ $Treo$...

And if it is, then how much longer can Palmsource wait before releasing something that will support EVDO? Assuming it does come out next year, will Sprint want to wait that long? I am thinking that Sprint is probably working overtime to get a EVDO treo out before people migrate over to Verizon.

Maybe Im missing something...I don't follow much on the OS side :-)
    Like I stated above, 1xEvDo is already supported in the current version of Cobalt PalmOS. Palm Linux won't be read until late 2006 at the earliest which means we won't see any Palm Linux devices (if at all) until perhaps 2007! Until then, the only plausable OS is Cobalt for all the reasons stated above...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/01/2005 at 02:32 PM.

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    If Garnet POS can support WIFI and bluetooth I'm sure it can support EVDO also. If NVFS can be backported from Cobalt, so can EVDO support. On the other hand rumors for a Cobalt Treo have become stronger and stronger recently, and rumors in general seem to be more right than wrong. I'm just saying I'm not sure EVDO automatically means Cobalt.

Surur
    HUH? How did you make that jump? The Palm OS 4.x Alphasmart Dana support wifi, so does this mean it also should be able to support 1xEvDo?

Wireless telephony stacks are completely different fyi and not related at all...

FYI, it is common knowledge that is was Handspring/Palm that made significant investments into the CDMA telephony stack in Garnet when it developed the Treo, not PalmSource. In fact much of the rebranded "Garnet for smartphone" OS was based on optimizations (including 5 way nav etc) made by Palm and later integrated into the OS by PalmSource. It is primarily for this reason (lack of backkend driver support, telephony support etc) that Palm was initially hesitant on using Cobalt. Why should they (palm) make all these investment into the OS only to have them adopted by other lisencees for free? Instead they waited until PalmSource developed the backend functions necessary. This would also explain the certain "development milestones" stipulations that are mentioned when Palm renewed its lisence with PalmSource fyi...

Palm have licensed PalmOS into 2009 which would definitely mean Cobalt. I'm quite confident that they are planning/working on a cobalt device.
    I'm confused does POS mean piece of **** or palm os?
    I also think the next Treo could possibly run Cobalt. Same specs as the Treo 700p like Gfunkmagic said
    Jimmie Geddes
    I also believe they have worked/working on a Cobalt device, they've had it for how many years. If anybody can tweak an OS it's Palm.
    Jimmie Geddes
    If this company can make Cobalt work, can't Palm?
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7874
    I know that is old news, but it gives ya some idea that Cobalt was not DOA like many assume.
    Jimmie Geddes
    You and gfunk may be right (I hope you are) but if they have had it so long, why is it taking this long to get to market? I would have been trying to push it out the door ASAP if I was sprint or cingular (knowing Verizon had the WM treo).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It might be on it's way out the door. I just wrote an article that inspired me from reading all this, I think gfunk is on to something.
    http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/1...h-choices.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    I'm having a hard time seeing a company with decreasing profits to have the R&D $ for two product lines on entirely different technology. Windows Mobile 5 will probably win out. OTOH, if Treo/Windows flops, they may continue on the PalmOS wave. But I don't see PalmOS winning corporate America.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery

Any thoughts?
    Wouldn't tea leaves, frogs entrails, or birds serve as well?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast