Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I agree with Shadowmite, Palm OS will not be first place. Not because of quality of OS, but because Microsoft has a way with the corporate world. Mac OS X in my opinion is a much better OS, but only has 3%, maybe 4% market share. I'm a Microsoft Certified Professional for work, but prefer OS X for home and personal user, more intuitive, faster, stable (notice the similarities). I feel like we are seeing this all over, but Palm was wise to sell a device so they get some money out of that market, as well as still selling Palm OS devices and not abandoning the Palm market.
    I agree with Perry too, my 650 is near perfect, and I would updgrade for more memory, and EVDO. I am using sprints network via BT DUN to keep my powerbook online going on 2 days now, and I keep saying to myself my Treo is awesome.

Thanks to Shadowmite, and his awesome work I think Sprint stepped up to the plate and "officially" supported it. The Treo 650 is the closest thing, at the moment to perfection, and I have a feeling Palm won't disappoint with the sequel.

I've been writing how my Treo 650/ Powerbook setup has been going, it's awesome!
    http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/1...t-to-show.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    I guess I need to clarify something about the article I linked to above.

"Wirt says" is Ken Wirt of Palm, Inc. an Executive Director of Palm. that's why I linked this article.

so I mean we are hearing 2 stories from Palm. I really hope for another better Palm OS treo, Garnet is fine w/ me - give me EVDO too though.
    I was clear on who Wirt is.

I don't think there are two stories from Palm. What Wirt says in the article is very different from what the writer says. It wasn't Wirt who said there would be a "cut-off point." It was the writer. "Cut off" implies a deliberate act.

Wirt's statement is that they'd obviously want their r&d overhead to be half of what it is. "Obviously." It's an open question whether they'd pull the trigger if they don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Just curious, if they produce a Treo 700p, with specs similar to the 700w, except with a 320x320 screen, would you buy it?
    If they also increased the memory, then yes, I'd buy. But no more sub-64mb ram Palm OS units for this bozo. If it added WiFi, I'd go to Palm headquarters to hand pick up the first unit released.

As much of a naysayer as I seem, I really prefer Palm; I just don't see it in the old crystal ball.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by UGlee
    You are right. Furthermore

1) Linux program CAN run on Cobalt over Linux if it has no UI or the developer port its UI part to Cobalt.
    2) The PalmOS-Protein API program built for pure Cobalt device, NEED to be recompile for Cobalt over Linux system. That is to say, Cobalt program and COL one are not binary compatible. This will probably prevent PalmOS licensees, especially Palm. Inc, from releasing any pure Cobalt device. Otherwise, they must deal with the INCOMPATIBILITY issue when customer upgrade a pure Cobalt device to a COL one.

Thanks UGlee! I didn't know that! You posts here and at PIC have been very helpful btw!

One question though. Couldn't devs just continue to support 68k apps since PACE will be supported on both Cobalt and PL?

Also, since PalmSource/Access probably won't finish PL until sometime late 2006, which means there won't be any PL Treos until perhaps late 2007, does the incompatibility issue really matter? I mean two years is a looong time to wait for PL imo when most devs could easily just recompile their code when/if PL ever arrives...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_memory
    I think that's an optimistic take on it.

The more likely scenario, however, is that there will simply never be another PalmOS Treo.
    And that is an overly pessimisitc take on it imo!

Verizon is paying enormous sums of money for an exclusive license to the 700w. Why? Because Sprint + Nextel = Vision/EVDO Blackberry. That's a direct shot across the bow of VZW's enormous corporate market, and since VZW doesn't want to be just another blackberry reseller, they need to have a competitive product.
    But what if/when the PalmOS BB connect client arrives for the Treo? I think the focus is moe about Palm on how they want to make sure they don't have all their eggs in one basket. Also, the exclusivity period won't last forever and the WM Treo will probably be available on Sprint too eventually imo...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Palm (PalmOne) bid for PalmSource because THEY could have salvaged it. They are the coders that made the majority of #G integration happen and had the best coders available for the palm os platform. They most likely would have pulled cobalt out of it's grave and re-vived it. But Access on the other hand has a different agenda, what that is I have a few guesses, but they are just a educated guess.
    Palm bid on Palmsource b/c they didn't want to see the platform fall into the hands of one of their driect competitors like Motorola or Nokia! That would put them into exactly the opposite position many lisencees were in prior to the Palm-PalmSource split and would have put them in a very unenviable positon. It was about saving their arse. The acquisition by Access was the best alternative outcome for Palm (and Palmsource since Palm is still accounts for ~80% of PalmSource's revenue).
    I really don't think we have seen the end of palm os, but I believe we have seen the end of it as a competitive OS trying for 1st place.
    You probably write about that. PalmOS has already ceded it's #1 postion in pdas, while smartphone are completely dominated by Symbian. But if PalmSource/Access can even get 10-15% of the future 500 million smartphone handset market, they will be pretty successful imo...

8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    What does this mean?

http://www.vnunet.com/itweek/analysi...406/sight-palm

However, it seems unlikely that any further Palm OS Treos will be developed. Current models run an ageing version of the Palm platform, and to extend this to match the 3G network support in Windows Mobile 5.0 may prove costly.
    If firms will not buy Palm OS handsets, Palm may simply decide to cut its losses and ship only Microsoft-based models once the Treo 600 and Treo 650 reach end-of-life."

"While Palm looks set to continue shipping Palm OS 5 handhelds for the near future, Wirt admitted there would have to be a cut-off point. "At some point in the future, we would obviously prefer to be on one platform," he said."
    Hmmm... that is rather depressing isn't it.

However, I think Palm will make that final decision after the release of Palm Linux so it can gather its potential on either platform...

However according to this statement:
    Current models run an ageing version of the Palm platform, and to extend this to match the 3G network support in Windows Mobile 5.0 may prove costly.
    It would seem to validate the point that Garnet does not support 3G telephony or 1xEvDo. Thus alluding to my earlier assertion that Coblat may be the only short term palmos solution...

gfunk:

On the Wirts comment:

"While Palm looks set to continue shipping Palm OS 5 handhelds for the near future, Wirt admitted there would have to be a cut-off point. "At some point in the future, we would obviously prefer to be on one platform," he said."

The really sad thing was Palm's official position, from several spokes people, was they "Were open to other OS's" all the while they were deep inside MicroBorg's WM5 development. I don't expect them to leak company secrets, but if that was their response then, what can Wirt's comment really mean? A sad day indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    YES!!! My 650 is perfect, except it is missing EV-DO. If better bluetooth, an SD slot that can take a 4gb card, a faster processor and more memory come along with it . . . . I guess I will just have to accept that.

Cheers, Perry.
    I think we all knew you'd say yes Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If they also increased the memory, then yes, I'd buy. But no more sub-64mb ram Palm OS units for this bozo. If it added WiFi, I'd go to Palm headquarters to hand pick up the first unit released.

As much of a naysayer as I seem, I really prefer Palm; I just don't see it in the old crystal ball.
    And frankly, I knew you'd say yes too. My point is that there's real demand for a PalmOS Treo, but you think Palm is too dumb or too lazy to do the work to produce one.

I understand why Palm was slow to color and hi-res and still resists Wi-Fi. It is all about battery life. Even the NVFS is about battery. I still do not understand why they are so chintzy about memory.

Since my very first Palm device I have been bumping against the memory limit. That the 650 has the same memory as the 600 and with a file system that is less efficient, is beyond me. It cannot be about the money; at most we are talking tens of dollars.

64mb for a WM is absurd. My sister runs WM on a 128mb Samsung and laughed out loud when I told her that the 700w has 64. What am I missing?
    I don't get it either. I remember one of the managers saying that those who need more memory can always get a memory card. The problem is that many apps can't run on the memory card and so fill up the available internal memory.

My guess is that they figure they can satisfy most people's needs with very little memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I don't get it either. I remember one of the managers saying that those who need more memory can always get a memory card. The problem is that many apps can't run on the memory card and so fill up the available internal memory.

My guess is that they figure they can satisfy most people's needs with very little memory.
    The problem has been around far longer than the SD card has been available to solve even a part of it. Palm's memory is usually lower than its competitors.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The future of the Palm OS, if any, is as a user interface "look and feel", running on top of Linux. Anything that delays the availability of this new OS is time and money wasted. That's why you won't see Cobalt revived.

Linux on handhelds is just as efficient (needs less MHz, less memory, less power than M$ alternative) as Linux on desktops. Of course, if you have to run a Garnet emulator on top of Linux you **** away this advantage. So I dunno. Palm/Linux might work, but if PalmSource were smart enough to make this work, they would have been smart enough to get FrankenGarnet to work without help from Palm. I still see PalmSource as floundering.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    64mb for a WM is absurd. My sister runs WM on a 128mb Samsung and laughed out loud when I told her that the 700w has 64. What am I missing?
    You are missing that the WM is WM5, not WM2003SE. No files are stored in RAM any more (unlike in WM2003SE) so more ram is available for execution. Even the $1000 HTC universal only has 64MB ram.

However, in reality this has not worked out as well as expected. A lot of the 64MB ram now gets used to store software that previously would have XIP before. The HTC Universal only has 27MB free ram after boot up, which is rather pathetic.

I think the current lot of WM devices are only fit for light work, and I wont buy until free ram after boot is at least 64MB or more.

Surur
    gfunk:

On the Wirts comment:

I could take that as meaning:

we will eventually stop selling pos5 devices, but may continue selling them when we come out with a device with a newer POS, but it is preferable to sell only devices with one version of POS.

just like microsoft no longet support win 3.1, 95, 98, nt, and wants 2000 on the list.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    I could take that as meaning:

we will eventually stop selling pos5 devices, but may continue selling them when we come out with a device with a newer POS, but it is preferable to sell only devices with one version of POS.

just like microsoft no longet support win 3.1, 95, 98, nt, and wants 2000 on the list.
    What part of "one" do you not understand? The man said "One platform." "One!"
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    The upcoming Tungsten TX runs Palm OS Garnet 5.4 according to engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    The upcoming Tungsten TX runs Palm OS Garnet 5.4 according to engadget
    Frankengarnet - "It's alive, its alive I tell you!"

Thank you Colin Clive (aka Dr. Frankenstein) and Palm for coninued medical research on our Palm OS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dstrauss; 10/10/2005 at 11:15 AM.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345