Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I don't think that EVDO necessarily means cobalt. Palm could just strap some more software onto the already over-taxed frame of Garnet (aren't you the one that coined "frankengarnet").
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I don't think that EVDO necessarily means cobalt. Palm could just strap some more software onto the already over-taxed frame of Garnet (aren't you the one that coined "frankengarnet").
    I can't take the humble honor of coining "FrankenGarnet". That distinction must go to Gekko over at PIC if I recall correctly.

Also, I don't think Palm can simply slap on or hack 1XEvDo stack onto Garnet that easily. For one, it is definitely NOT an easy task to develop backend telephony stuff like this. Secondly, it probably would be economically cost effective either considering the way lisencee tweaks to the OS are often incorporated back into the platform cost free. Add the issue of lengthy development times and the fact that Cobalt already supports this, I dunno why Palm would continue to spurn Cobalt at this point...

The fact is imo, if Palm is to continue to use PalmOS, what other choice to the really have? Palm Linux is two years away at this piont and Garnet is almost three years old now and definitely showing it's age. How can Palm possibly rely on using Garnet only in the interim until PL arrives if ever? If they did release another Frankengarnet Treo, I would be simply shocked...hell I would freakin vomit to tell you the truth...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Just curious... where does the two-year timeframe for Linux come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I'm not sure how long Verizon's exclusivity period is. I don't recall reading that anywhere. But if look at the past exclusivity aggreements made by Palm with Sprint for example, then they should be for 2-3 months afaikafaikafaik. $Thus$ $you$ $could$ $then$ $conjecture$ $that$ $other$ $CMDA$ $providers$ $like$ $Sprint$ $may$ $support$ $the$ $WM$ $Treo$ $by$ $the$ $later$ $half$ $of$ $2006$, $assume$ $though$ $that$ $they$ $want$ $the$ $WM$ $Treo$ $in$ $the$ $first$ $place$. $FYI$, $Palm$ $also$ $said$ $not$ $to$ $expect$ $a$ $GSM$ $WM$ $Treo$ $until$ $the$ $second$ $half$ $of$ $2006$ $as$ $well$...
    first, what is\who is Gaurav?

second, at the conf, colligan said there wouldnt be any other carriers of the 700 until mid next year.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Guarav is gfunk.

Colligan said no windows treo 700 with anyone besides verizon. He didn't speak to the time frame of other treos.
    I'm pretty sure were going to see Garnet in our next treo. I remember reading that Access is doing something to prepare NetFront (or whatever their browser is called) for Garnet. Which tells me that Garnet is what palm and others are interested in.

I would love to see a Cobalt device . . . but I just don't hold out much hope for it anymore. If it was worth using then Palmsource would not have abandoned it in favor of a linux palm OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    I'm pretty sure were going to see Garnet in our next treo. I remember reading that Access is doing something to prepare NetFront (or whatever their browser is called) for Garnet. Which tells me that Garnet is what palm and others are interested in.

I would love to see a Cobalt device . . . but I just don't hold out much hope for it anymore. If it was worth using then Palmsource would not have abandoned it in favor of a linux palm OS.
    Keep in mind palm will likely keep garnet for non-smartphones due to the lack of a need for an EVDO stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I'm not sure how long Verizon's exclusivity period is. I don't recall reading that anywhere. But if look at the past exclusivity aggreements made by Palm with Sprint for example, then they should be for 2-3 months afaikafaikafaik. $Thus$ $you$ $could$ $then$ $conjecture$ $that$ $other$ $CMDA$ $providers$ $like$ $Sprint$ $may$ $support$ $the$ $WM$ $Treo$ $by$ $the$ $later$ $half$ $of$ $2006$, $assume$ $though$ $that$ $they$ $want$ $the$ $WM$ $Treo$ $in$ $the$ $first$ $place$. $FYI$, $Palm$ $also$ $said$ $not$ $to$ $expect$ $a$ $GSM$ $WM$ $Treo$ $until$ $the$ $second$ $half$ $of$ $2006$ $as$ $well$...
    My recollection is that the Sprint exclusivity was de facto. Palm did not annouce it, or even acknowledge it, until after the expiration. The Verizon/WM thing is different. Do I have that wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    My recollection is that the Sprint exclusivity was de facto. Palm did not annouce it, or even acknowledge it, until after the expiration. The Verizon/WM thing is different. Do I have that wrong?
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm

Q: When can I get one?

A: Sprint, as previously announced, will carry the Treo 650 in all of it's channels in mid November for a base price of $599. The Treo 650 will be Sprint Exclusive until December at least, most likely heading into 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Guarav is gfunk.

Colligan said no windows treo 700 with anyone besides verizon. He didn't speak to the time frame of other treos.
    from: http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/s...26Mobility.asp

QUESTION: Ed, first of all, there is some model number for this Treo? And, secondly, how long is this period of exclusivity with Verizon Wireless, how long before we see it on other carriers?

ED COLLIGAN: Well, we'll just call it Treo on Windows for now. We haven't announced its specific naming nomenclature. As far as exclusivity, Verizon Wireless is a great partner of ours, and they are going to have a period of exclusivity on this product. We certainly plan to bring it to other networks, to other network technologies over time, but it will be some time into the middle of the next year before that happens.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think FrankenGarnet is a more marketable solution. Call it the Treo 651 and add EVDO to the 650. PalmSource threw all their developer resources at Palm/Linux, and no one wants a half-baked OS. Most people will see Cobalt as a high-risk option.
    Cobalt is working on a phone - but not in mass production. See here:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7874
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    id accept garnet 1 more round if....if they put 64mb in, evdo and Bt1.2 0r 2.0..oh and include a real working mp3 ringer program
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    id accept garnet 1 more round if....if they put 64mb in, evdo and Bt1.2 0r 2.0..oh and include a real working mp3 ringer program
    There are real working mp3 ringers, such as ringo. Palm leaves some things out like that so the Palm developer community can make these apps for us. I am sure they could have made a mp3 ringer if they really "wanted" to. I do beieve that the successor to the 650 will have the specs you included above, and possibly wifi/ and gps.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard
    I'm confused does POS mean piece of **** or palm os?
    Both
    The Palm OS on the Treo 650 does everything I want it to do. One out of two ain't bad on the POS comment.

Cheers, Perry
    Just to put in my .02 here, there is no reason garnet can't run EVDO. It's a seperate radio for the most part (the way the ppc-6700 did it for instance) and as such can be controlled in the same way palmos is able to handle wifi. It requires no more power than wifi does, actually, quite a bit less. The only problem is the phone application and the system core would need to be updated to handle the switching between the two carrier signals.

There is zero reason to believe cobalt is a must. Actually, based on my knowledge, I'd say cobalt is never going to happen, it has too many flaws due to the sheer design of palm os. The scary thing is it's not even true multitasking either, they still implemented a hack to accomplish the appearance of it. In my opinion, cobalt is the worst mistake palm ever made.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Shadowmite, you might want to take a look at iSpin Launcher.

The developer claims by November, he will have completed iSpin 2.0 a Windows style launcher for the current Palm OS that will allow multitasking apps on devices like the Treo 650 that run Garnet.
    In his words "suspend one application and switch to another one. While one is running, another is just suspended (but not finished). When you switch back, application continues its work where it was interrupted."

iSpin forum: http://www.taptarget.com/forum/viewt...t=367&start=15
    Last edited by migs; 10/05/2005 at 09:46 PM.
    Exactly, suspended is NOT multitasking, true multitasking will have the apps all running at the same time. Palm OS can not do this, so it "fakes" it by using events to trigger a app to run, and another to suspend... But only one task is running at any given time.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast