1.    #1  
    If it hasn't already been posted...Here it is

http://www.allaboutpalm.com/features...tform_Wars.php
    Below is the response I gave over there in the comments section:

In the article you dismiss the PalmOS but do not take into consideration the acquisition of PalmSource by Access Tech and the future porting of PalmOS (especially the Cobalt API's) to Linux Kernal. In essence, Palm Linux as a mobile phone platform should not be dismissed especially in the Asian and Chinese markets. While it is true Symbian platform rules the roost in Europe, I doubt the same could be said in China. In this regard Palm Linux has huge potential in my opinion. Futhermore Palmsource's focus is to also have a Feature phone OS product as well as Palm Linux. The feature phone OS would compete against Nokia Series 40 etc phones while Palm Linux would be for more high end pda phone type devices. This in fact was the whole point of PalmSource's earlier acquisition of China Mobilesoft and is also the main reason why PalmSource was such an attractive acquisition target for Access Tech and Nokia, which incidentally was also in the bidding war for PalmSource (the 3rd party was Palm itself).

Thus, while agree that the present status of the Garnet PalmOS is very bleak (end of life at this point), the future potential of Palm Linux and Palm Feature phone especially in Asian markets is much more positive...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The problem is that PalmLinux, which will hopefully be a grownup OS, is probably two years out, which is two more years of momentum for e.g. other Linux OS's, WM and Symbian.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The problem is that PalmLinux, which will hopefully be a grownup OS, is probably two years out, which is two more years of momentum for e.g. other Linux OS's, WM and Symbian.

Surur
    That is a valid point I must admitt. But I still don't think Garnet and even Coblat for that matter are dead in the water...yet anyway. I still think there may be a niche for lower end Garnet based phones out there. Also, I think it's safe to assume that the next gen palmOS Treo MUST be Cobalt based since Garnet has no 1xEvDo telephony stack support and I highly doubt Palm would release another 1xrtt device. Furthermore, there is still the Oswin device and possible futre devices in the works by LG etc. I realize this is all wishful thinking, but the scope for growth is there for palmos especially in the chinese market where ODM's liek GSL etc are having success...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Palm Linux should shop in the middle of 2006, and I wouldn't be surprised that we see a Palm Linux based product by the end of 2006. Palm has been hiring Linux programmers/engineers to gear up for this product launch.
    You are right, garnet could be the low end phones. I thinl the Treo 600 will move to this when the Treo 700p comes out, making it the high end. The 650 would be middle, and the 600 would be considered mid/low end.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    how can the t600 be the considered low end? most if not all carriers have stopped carrying the 600 by the time the 700p is out - you go to any sprint or verizon store and they tell you its an outdated model. just my opinion, but I don't think the 600 will be around at all when the 700p arrives.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Palm said that they're developing new low-end phones.

I agree that the 600 is going away.
    Ok, I am wrong You can still get a Treo 600 though on all networks, I think this could be a higher end Treo than Palm's new low-end phones, but it's just a thought.
    Jimmie Geddes
    A low end Treo to me is basically the Treo 600 -

no bluetooth - no wifi - no EVDO

heck - maybe they'll even make a flip phone out of it?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    A low end Treo to me is basically the Treo 600 -

no bluetooth - no wifi - no EVDO

heck - maybe they'll even make a flip phone out of it?
    What you quote is teh Qool QDA-700. Uses Garnet and not [yet] availiable in the US.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.