Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hope the moderators will leave this thread here for a little while before moving it to the General Discussion section where it probably belongs.

I've been leading the charge of whiners, complainers, and naysayers about the development of WM5 Treos, the death of Palm OS Treos, the general failure by Palm (and even PPC developers) to "advance the ball" on smartphone development. Then in a short series with Insertion on another thread about my ancient Everex Freestyle (Wince - circa 1998) and original USR PalmPilot (the 512kb model circa 1996-97), it hit me that it is time to stop (once the laughter stops I'll continue)...

Look at the specs on the Treo 650 we're holding right now:

1. 312mhz processor with 32mb ram
    2. SD (up to 2gb currently)
    3. 320x320 super bright screen
    4. Excellent thumbboard
    5. Stylus free 5-way navigation
    6. 640x480 camera/video (not great - but heh)
    7. Replaceable battery
    8. EDGE browsing speeds (I just tested at dslreports at 168kb - 4X dialup)
    9. GSM quad band cell phone
    Running
    Docs to Go full 2-way support of Word & Excel files
    Full Outlook data synch
    Excellent email (Snapper, and if I had IMAP, Chatter push mail)
    MobiTV (my god - 23 channels)
    P-Tunes MP3 with several hundred cuts; and Shoutcast streaming
    MMPlayer full play movies
    Games (Texas Hold'em is pretty cool)
    eReader - tons of books, bibles, you name it

All in a 4.25"x2.25"x.75", 6 ounce package retailing at $599

Five years ago, NO PDA or phone could even dream of this level of functionality. Here was my $549 Everex:

4.8 x 3.2 x .7 (not bad)
    66mhz NEC processor
    320x240 mono screen
    8mb ram - 8mb rom
    33.3 kbps docking cradle/modem
    1 CF slot (supporting up to 64mb ram)

Ten years ago, the state of the art notebook (per the August 1995 PC Magazine on my shelf) was the $6,449 TI Travelmate 5000 - listen to this:

75mhz Pentium processor
    16mb installed ram, 32mb max
    VGA active matrix 16-bit color
    772mb max system hard drive
    14.4 kbps modem
    11"x8.5"x2.3" and 6.22 pounds

Going back 15 years is a pure nightmare per PC Magazine, the $7,098 Toshiba T3100SX

16 mhz 80386sx processor
    VGA Gas Plasma (orange on black only)
    1mb installed ram, max of 13mb
    40mb hard drive
    14.4kbps modem
    14"x12"x3", 14.8 pounds

My point - I will turn down the volume a little on my rants and complaints. We should never quit pushing manufacturers to up the ante - adopt the state of the art, miniaturize until we really have **** Tracy's radio watch (oops, there's an "I dated myself" slip up). But it is way past time that I developed some perspective on where we've been, where we are now, and probably unbelievably, where we will be in five or ten years.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    dstrauss,
    You are right on the money as regards the 650 and the amazing things it can do. You do gain more perspective when you look at how quickly and how far computer technology has advanced in the last 10 to 15 years. A common calculator today has more computing power than the Apollo command module had.
    I think a lot of the anxiety over Palm's Windows Mobile Treo is the fear that future innovation on the Palm OS is dead. I have absolutely no interest in a WinMobile smartphone. My concern is that in the next few years that will be the only choice in smartphones. I guess that when that happens and I need to update my phone/PDA, I will go back to separate devices rather than use WinMobile. I am also concerned that when WinMobile is the dominant OS, Microsoft will stop innovating with no competition.
    Zane
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I hope the moderators will leave this thread here for a little while before moving it to the General Discussion section where it probably belongs.

I've been leading the charge of whiners, complainers, and naysayers about the development of WM5 Treos, the death of Palm OS Treos, the general failure by Palm (and even PPC developers) to "advance the ball" on smartphone development. Then in a short series with Insertion on another thread about my ancient Everex Freestyle (Wince - circa 1998) and original USR PalmPilot (the 512kb model circa 1996-97), it hit me that it is time to stop (once the laughter stops I'll continue)...

Look at the specs on the Treo 650 we're holding right now:

1. 312mhz processor with 32mb ram
    2. SD (up to 2gb currently)
    3. 320x320 super bright screen
    4. Excellent thumbboard
    5. Stylus free 5-way navigation
    6. 640x480 camera/video (not great - but heh)
    7. Replaceable battery
    8. EDGE browsing speeds (I just tested at dslreports at 168kb - 4X dialup)
    9. GSM quad band cell phone
    Running
    Docs to Go full 2-way support of Word & Excel files
    Full Outlook data synch
    Excellent email (Snapper, and if I had IMAP, Chatter push mail)
    MobiTV (my god - 23 channels)
    P-Tunes MP3 with several hundred cuts; and Shoutcast streaming
    MMPlayer full play movies
    Games (Texas Hold'em is pretty cool)
    eReader - tons of books, bibles, you name it

All in a 4.25"x2.25"x.75", 6 ounce package retailing at $599

Five years ago, NO PDA or phone could even dream of this level of functionality. Here was my $549 Everex:

4.8 x 3.2 x .7 (not bad)
    66mhz NEC processor
    320x240 mono screen
    8mb ram - 8mb rom
    33.3 kbps docking cradle/modem
    1 CF slot (supporting up to 64mb ram)

Ten years ago, the state of the art notebook (per the August 1995 PC Magazine on my shelf) was the $6,449 TI Travelmate 5000 - listen to this:

75mhz Pentium processor
    16mb installed ram, 32mb max
    VGA active matrix 16-bit color
    772mb max system hard drive
    14.4 kbps modem
    11"x8.5"x2.3" and 6.22 pounds

Going back 15 years is a pure nightmare per PC Magazine, the $7,098 Toshiba T3100SX

16 mhz 80386sx processor
    VGA Gas Plasma (orange on black only)
    1mb installed ram, max of 13mb
    40mb hard drive
    14.4kbps modem
    14"x12"x3", 14.8 pounds

My point - I will turn down the volume a little on my rants and complaints. We should never quit pushing manufacturers to up the ante - adopt the state of the art, miniaturize until we really have **** Tracy's radio watch (oops, there's an "I dated myself" slip up). But it is way past time that I developed some perspective on where we've been, where we are now, and probably unbelievably, where we will be in five or ten years.

Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom

Then there was the HP200....

It was a PDA but also a PC compatible in mid 90's running on a 1mhz 80186 with 2-4meg built in. Last all week with 2 AA battery. Smaller then a 3.5" drive today.

With a PCMCIA flash card (20meg), you can run RBase or any other DOS program. I even run DoubleDOS on it...
  6.    #6  
    I had forgotten about the HP200 - wasn't it the first "thumboard" PDA too?
    Let's not forget the Atari Portfolio... my first PDA. It had a clamshell design, with a very usable keyboard (No Newtonian handwriting recognition needed)!
    It had contacts, and the ability to dial them by holding it up to your telephone.
    There was also a snap-on parrael interface for printing, and a snap-on 300 baud modem.
    You could get games and productivity software for it, and the LCD display (I think it was 6 lines of 40 characters each) didn't drain the battery too much. Loved it!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    What about the Newton by apple, I remember paying 14K for a 128mb chip for our Quadra 950 (yes 14K)
    Addendum: The Atari Portfolio also used some kind of memory card, where each card had a thin battery in it to maintain the memory. Of course, Memory cards will never take off- will they?

Atari also had the forerunner of the PSP or color Gameboy...
    the Lynx game sytem. It used games on memory cards, had a color screen way before anyone else did.... Gameboys were selling like hotcakes with a gross monochrome screen at the time.

As you can tell- I was an Atari fan... had Atari xl and ST/TT computer systems as well- including a $700 monochrome 17 inch hi-res screen for DeskTop Publishing. Those were the days... before I had to switch to IBM/MS-DOS and Windows machines. (Although I did have a Mac emulator for my Atari, and eventually got an early Mac)... Alas!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Addendum: The Atari Portfolio also used some kind of memory card, where each card had a thin battery in it to maintain the memory. Of course, Memory cards will never take off- will they?
    i so wanted a portfolio, but I think I was still in HS. hey, it made it into the terminator 2. the kid used it to hack into an atm to get some money.

i did/do have a lynx. not enuf games.

ataris were my intro to gaming and pcing.

back on topic.

I wanted to get a Palm V, but ended up getting a BVD. 8 megs of fun. conduits to sync email, no attachment support, size limit on email, batteries. ahh the good ole days.

;-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  11.    #11  
    Felipe -

There is no "off topic" on this thread if it's nostalgia (and computer) related.

Man, cram my Treo 650 in a Palm Vx shell, with NO ANTENNAE, and call me done!
    Felipe! Another long-lost Atarian!

but as to this...

<<I wanted to get a Palm V, but ended up getting a BVD. 8 megs of fun. conduits to sync email, no attachment support, size limit on email, batteries. ahh the good ole days.>>

Something about 8megs of fun in your Palm, with "Conduits", "Attatchments", "Support",
    "Batteries" and concern about "Size" in your BVD's... (I thought size wasn't everything?)??? Sounds kinky to me.

Correction on the Portfolio... I believe it had separate Parrell and Serial ports you could attatch either one (not both at the same time). I do not think they had a snap-on modem after all, but my friend hacked a tiny modem to one of their serial port adapters, making a custom modem for it. Not Shaowmite quality, but functional.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    The improvements that have been made are amazing. My first computer was a CBM 8032 - Commodore Business Machines 80 column 32K RAM machine. It had an external dual 5 1/4" floppy drive that weighed probably 20 lbs. Each floppy could hold 512K!!! Unheard of!!!

Non-techie people look at my like I am an alien when they see my phone and question my sanity for wanting a phone that can receive email. They don't get it yet. Mobile communication is the most liberating technology in history and will (already has) change civilization. I just spent two vacation days in Phoenix with my son and his fiancee. Because of my 650, I handled business in Mexico while we went sight seeing and having casual lunches. No complaints here.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I look forward to getting e-mails on the road being self employed gives me a reason to be gone and clients don't even know it... getting e-mails and surfing the web on my phone reminds me of the first days of FED EX getting something overnite.. WOW times have changed
    Our radio station had old Osbourne luggables with 8 inch floppys... and tiny mono screens.
    We used a commodore 64 to monitor the transmitter readings!
    "Everybody Palm!"

I have owned a m100, a Palm IIIc and now Treo 650. Frankly I like the Treo far more than the other Palm Pilots. I lusted over the PalmV but I couldn't afford it. The only thing I did with the Palm3c was emulate gameboy games on it.

I don't want Palm to put out a pentiumM in a box, god of pda or anything like that. I just want a upgraded 650 so I have an excuse to change phone and carrier. I have used my 650 so much the earphone plug is completed shot!

That's why I was so angry when I realized Palm is not making a PalmOS update for the 650. Oh well it's their own making.
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/17/2005 at 11:29 AM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    That's why I was so angry when I realized Palm is not making a PalmOS update for the 650. Oh well it's their own making.
    I don't thinke there will ever be upgrades for Palm OS Treos (other than ROM "fixes"). It takes forever just to get a fix out the door (memory issue - remember) and it looks like Frankengarnet has to be custom crafted for each generation.
    Do not give up hope:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=98150

Through RIM's BlackBerry Connect licensing program, Palm will enable its Treo 650 and future Palm OS based Treo smartphones with secure, push-based wireless email via BlackBerry Enterprise Server. The BlackBerry Connect technology will be integrated into Palm's VersaMail email client.

YES!! I BELIEVE.. . . . . in the 700p.
    Yeah, the HP200 has a "thumb keyboard". 80x20 mono CGA. It has a PCMCIA slot for modem that allowed me to do emails.

My first PC was a SOL-20, I think I had a whole 2K worth of ram, 3 S-100 slots. A kit that took me a couple of weeks to solder together. I got a couple of 4K ram board from Seattle Computer Products - the original developer of MSDOS which they later sold to someone call Bill Gates.

I upgraded to an Atari 800 and by then I had 64K ram plus a card to enhance it to 80x20 display.

Back in the SOL20 days, there were lots of CPUs. The 6502, 6800, 8080. Rockwell had their own, RCA did too, I think.
    F Palm. I am waiting for a proper Apple phone. At least it has higher possibility of coming out than the 700p. Well at least it probably will come out first, which is the same thing to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast