1.    #1  
    OK. I've been thinking about this for a couple months now, reading all the related threads on the topic, and I can't seem to see any light at the end of the tunnel for Palm (as we knew it) to survive, much as I HATE to admit it!

At yesterday's announcement, absolutely NOTHING was said about a Treo 700p, or 700s or 700xyz. Peolpe have said that was because His Highness Bill was there and Colligan didn't want to tick him off, but I'm now fearing that Colligan may already have received his implants and has been assimilated. Even if he couldn't say anything about this issue yesterday, if Palm doesn't say something official about other OS's soon, with what has happened to PalmSource (with the Access buyout), people are going to start assuming that M$ will soon be the only choice.

What does that mean? People will stop buying the 650 for fear that it will no longer be supported, Palm's revenue on it will nosedive, and then Palm will be completely beholding to Bill and his minions. Next thing you know, M$ is Palm's daddy.

Would someone please tear my weak conspiracy theory apart and reassure me that it can't happen????

P.S.: Do you think it is possible for Palm to pull off the hardware only approach and be the "Dell" of smart phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo
    OK. I've been thinking about this for a couple months now, reading all the related threads on the topic, and I can't seem to see any light at the end of the tunnel for Palm (as we knew it) to survive, much as I HATE to admit it!

At yesterday's announcement, absolutely NOTHING was said about a Treo 700p, or 700s or 700xyz. Peolpe have said that was because His Highness Bill was there and Colligan didn't want to tick him off, but I'm now fearing that Colligan may already have received his implants and has been assimilated. Even if he couldn't say anything about this issue yesterday, if Palm doesn't say something official about other OS's soon, with what has happened to PalmSource (with the Access buyout), people are going to start assuming that M$ will soon be the only choice.

What does that mean? People will stop buying the 650 for fear that it will no longer be supported, Palm's revenue on it will nosedive, and then Palm will be completely beholding to Bill and his minions. Next thing you know, M$ is Palm's daddy.

Would someone please tear my weak conspiracy theory apart and reassure me that it can't happen????

P.S.: Do you think it is possible for Palm to pull off the hardware only approach and be the "Dell" of smart phones?
    Read the article on the TC homepage. You will see that it says:

This announcement does not mean the end of Palm OS; Bush did go on record to say that "Yes, we will have future Treo products on Palm OS".
    That being said, Palm is now, and has been for over a year, a hardware company and only a hardware company. They haven't been tied to the former PalmSource for quite a while, and expressed their interests in alternative OSes a while ago as well. This announcement shouldn't come as either a shock or a surprise to you, this has been a well discussed rumor for a long time.

Regardless of the possibility of a Treo 700p in the future, Palm is already beholden to Bill and his minions. The deal is done, and Microsoft is in. The only question that remains is if PalmSource/Access is still in or if they are now on the outside. Knowing the way Microsoft works its business deals, there's a very good chance that the 700p will be the last Treo without "Microsoft inside". There's even a possibility that your 650 is the last Treo with a Palm OS in it.

I do think that Palm could become the Dell of smartphones, and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. A question arises out of that scenario though, what happens to Palm's PDA lines? Does Microsoft allow Palm to continue development of non-Microsoft handhelds. I guess that depends on how much Bill feels the LifeDrive's are biting into the Axim's bottom line.

But you'll get no pat on the back and gentle words of reassurance from me, your "conspiracy theories" probably aren't fiction. It's time to embrace the truth and move on.
    I'm back!