Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First how do you pronounce it is it (EV-DOO) or (EEVEE-DEE-OHH) or (EV-DOE)?

I need to know this so I know how to mispronounce it at CES.

Also, does anyone have any inside knowledge as to how much it will cost to add to a plan? I am not paying $40-$60 per month for data, but the Treo isn't much good without the data plan.

If I go with Microsoft, will they just find a way to add on charges and perhaps require that I use their MSN Mobile ISP (I know it doesn't exist - but no one here would put it past them to pull something like that).

I hope that Verizon is smart enough to come up with a $20ish data plan that is monitored by the hour unlimited. I won't pay per k.

I aslo hope that Sprint and others get on the 3G band wagon and start some competition. Sprint's Vision package is the best thing going, but who knows what they will do with EV-DOOO.
    Eevee-dee-ohh
  3.    #3  
    I think I will call it Noonee
    Sprint: $15 a month, verizon: Arm, .5 legs, and 5% of your brain.
    Shadowmite, EVDO for $15 from Sprint? Do I understand you right? What do I call them and ask for tomorrow when my 6700 arrives?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure Shadow was comparing 1xRTT rates since that's the only way to do apples-to-apples right now for 99% of us. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $rates$ $are$ $the$ $same$ $on$ $each$ $service$ $regardless$ $of$ $whether$ $you$'$re$ $getting$ $EVDO$ $or$ $1xRTT$.

An arm, half a leg, and a slice of gray matter was about right for unlimited 1xRTT from Verizon the last time I checked, although they were kind enough to throw in a mail-in rebate for a $20 Prosthetics-R-Us gift card.
    Last edited by kvcobra; 09/28/2005 at 03:31 PM.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    you dont have to tell them anything. your regular vision plan will work fine. it will automatically pick up the ev-do signal if there is any in your area. if you mention it...that's when it will cause problems. just tell them you need to activate it...they'll ask for the phone...give you the instructions...boom.

...that's all i did anyway...
    thanks guys, this is a great help...as always! I do have EVDO in this area and look forward to trying it out...
    If they say you need to change the plan tell them you dont want to make any changes to your plan because you dont know whether or not you will keep the phone and you dont want to lose your grandfathered vision.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    you dont have to tell them anything. your regular vision plan will work fine. it will automatically pick up the ev-do signal if there is any in your area. if you mention it...that's when it will cause problems. just tell them you need to activate it...they'll ask for the phone...give you the instructions...boom.

...that's all i did anyway...
    Which Treo(s) has EVDO support?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Which Treo(s) has EVDO support?
    treo 700w (not yet released)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    treo 700w (not yet released)

Ah, I thought I was missing something. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Ah, I thought I was missing something. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Sprint: $15 a month, verizon: Arm, .5 legs, and 5% of your brain.

I'm not up to speed on this stuff -- but I'd be surprised if SEXTEL is willing to charge so much less than Verizon for EVDO.

EVDO is supposed to be the great carrier payoff for all their investment in 3G -- right ???

But this is all CDMA silliness to me anyway, since I happily get 150 Kbs Edge for $5/mo.

I just hope that the EVDO fanatics don't push WIFI off the next Treo...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    $15 is Sprint's current pricing, it may go up with EV-DO, but they have always had the best data plan.

Cheers, Perry.
    ^Users of Sprint's PPC6700 phone with EVDO are reporting they are getting EVDO at Vision rates... $10-$20/month depending on plan.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    The regular $15 vision plan gives full EVDO access (where available) on the PPC-6700. As far as I know there is no way for Sprint to restrict an EVDO phone to 1xRTT only. If if it is being used in an area where EVDO service exists, it will get EVDO. At some point when all or nearly all of their data network has deployed EVDO, Sprint could decide to charge more for data on EVDO phones than on non-EVDO phones. They couldn't get away with that right now since EVDO is only available in limited areas.

Of course, by the time the Treo 700 comes out, things may be different....
    Last edited by John P. Smith; 09/30/2005 at 03:44 PM.
    Let me clarify. Sprint has EVERY intention of over the next year implementing changes that will allow them to KNOW you are tethering or not. So if you want EVDO to the phone only, and do not tether, it's $15. If you tether on that plan, they will begin charging per kb with a firmware upgrade if not right away when the devices come out. This is already in the works (it'll be based on the phones realm it logs into). Finally they will offer some rate more similar to verizon's for evdo via datacard usage or unlimited tethering ability.

Does this clear it up?

One more point, CURRENTLY, the only phone that offically supports EVDO is the 6700 and it DOES NOT have the ability for them to track wether it's tethered or not. This will most likely not occur on the 6700.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ehrm, that's a little different than i heard. Sprint has officially said they will allow occasional tethering. They know users tether, and as long as it isn't an exorbant amount of data, they don't get the boot. i believe the tethering you are talking about is more than "occasional". the portal i think you are referring to, pda.sprintpcs.com, can't and won't detect "tethering" currently - it is not set up to do that and for Sprint to implement something like this is beyond their range, currently. Since the data that is transferred comes from the same portal/proxy, the same information is essentially exchanged whether it's on the phone itself or usb cradle/bt dun. it's not like tethering is OVERRIDING the proxy. the only change they could make currently would be to the program that calls wireless modem itself, and somehow implement a different proxy into that program which tracks kb rates. That, itself, can of course be overriden with a little tweaking, or of course our own homebrew engineers can produce a program that calls the basic #777 and connects via cradle or bt.

However, one point that is correct is as soon as the new generation of EVDO phones pops up, there will be a rate change for vision, whether you have the old vision plan or not. it will be similar but can also be more pricey with extra options. from what i've seen, it starts at $15 and goes to $25, but that is without SMS extras. but that is ONLY if you buy the evdo devices you will have to upgrade. if you don't touch your vision and don't have an evdo device, you can keep your old vision
    trust me, what I said is correct... It will also be hackable, more to come when it happens... It'll be client side (phone side).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast