1.    #1  
    The only thing I can see to complain about is if the resolution is really 240x240. Other than that was is the big deal?

They're giving you the camera that we all wanted in the 650 and even 600.

They're giving EVDO which POS doesn't support.

They're giving you a more stable OS with more apps included that you would normally have to buy.

The form factor is basically the same.

They're saying that MS gave PALM development tools to make the user interface feel just like other Treo's would but with improvements.

The only thing different here is the OS underneath which is more stable and has a more realistic opportunity to continue developing than POS at this point.

I just get the feeling that people hate the company, Microsoft, so much that they are just not going to give what looks like a pretty good product a fair chance. If they bumped this thing up to 480x480 I feel it would be a grand slam but people would still bash it.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Hi Bob!

We will see about more stable.
    I did not know EV-DO was Palm OS incompatible. Is it?
    How about viruses?
    How about my 10 years of learning curve on the Palm OS?
    How about the $400 in software and reference material I would need to replace?
    I was hoping the two OSs would continue to compete and challenge each other for usability. . . . . . . . .and thus be a benefit to both camps. . . . but when you have only one player, the incentive to improve dwindles.

You are right, if it is a better mouse trap. . . . Hooray! For that is what it is all about --- the user experience.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/27/2005 at 01:19 PM.
    Hmmm...
    "They're saying that MS gave PALM development tools to make the user interface feel just like other Treo's would but with improvements."

Well if that's the case, what's to stop MS from giving those tools to HP & Dell?
    No GSM
    No WIFi
    Probably shorter battery life
    Will windows suck up extra memory added?
    Longer reboot time
    The only thing I can see to complain about is if the resolution is really 240x240. Other than that was is the big deal?

===> I think you might underestimate the resolution issue, but time will tell.

They're giving you the camera that we all wanted in the 650 and even 600.

===> Big woop. I bought a phone/pda, not a camera. I've got far better cameras available to me.

They're giving EVDO which POS doesn't support.

===> Wrong. The 650 hardware doesn't support EV-DO. The OS has nothing to do with it.

They're giving you a more stable OS with more apps included that you would normally have to buy.

===>Debatable. There are plenty of complaints about the stability of WinCE and its kin. I'm not sure it's really any better in that regard. And while there are many more big commercial apps for Win, that may be balanced by the huge number of free and low-cost hobbyist type apps for the Palm OS.

The form factor is basically the same.

===> True

They're saying that MS gave PALM development tools to make the user interface feel just like other Treo's would but with improvements.

===> The interface is not "just like the other Treo's" with or without improvements. What they're saying is the gave Palm the tools to make the interface better than the standard WM 5. How it really compares to P-OS we'll have to wait and see. Past interations of Windows on mobile platforms leaves me sceptical.

The only thing different here is the OS underneath which is more stable and has a more realistic opportunity to continue developing than POS at this point.

===> The first point is a repetitive, and questionable. The second is true, especially now that Palm has joined "the dark side."

I just get the feeling that people hate the company, Microsoft, so much that they are just not going to give what looks like a pretty good product a fair chance. If they bumped this thing up to 480x480 I feel it would be a grand slam but people would still bash it.

===> Probably some truth to that. But I base my concerns on prior exposure to WinCE and WM devices, with which I was not very impressed. It remains to be seen how much better Palm's version is.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.