Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What's the skinny? I don't want the WM version. Personally, I think it will be just another way to deal with spyware, virsuses and security loopholes.

So does anyone know if there really is going to be a Palm OS version of the new phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdldy
    What's the skinny? I don't want the WM version. Personally, I think it will be just another way to deal with spyware, virsuses and security loopholes.

So does anyone know if there really is going to be a Palm OS version of the new phone?
    Your paranoia is eating you up.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Your paranoia is eating you up.
    NO SIR/MADAM:

I am an IT professional, so that is the inevitable ending when dealing with a Windows OS.

Geez man. Why don't you check these links:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=337069
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/security/news...ile-virus.html

ANYWAY, anyone have a pertinent answer to my question about an upgrade to the Palm OS Treo?

Thanks in advance.
    Umm, no, nada, not gonna happen?

If it does, it'll be months down the road, they are just announcing this device which is not to be released for 4 months or so.

Palm OS is not dead, but it's bleeding all over the place.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Umm, no, nada, not gonna happen?

If it does, it'll be months down the road, they are just announcing this device which is not to be released for 4 months or so.

Thanks shadow... nice to see you again.

Well I have really started to enjoy the Palm OS and I am really hoping that they come out with Palm version. After being in the IT world for over 12 years, I have seen that only having the option of Windows is crippling, as we have seen when a major virus hits. I do NOT want to have major problems just because I opened an email in Outlook or Exchange or opening a word doc.

Thank goodness for Linux and yes people I use Windows as well, so don't ask.
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite

And Palm has asked Bill "Dr.Kevorkian" Gates to help them out. As i said earlier Uncle Bill hates competition and he will sell Palm the rope to hang themselves.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    I think this is what we wanted to hear.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/685-1.htm
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by llarson
    And Palm has asked Bill "Dr.Kevorkian" Gates to help them out. As i said earlier Uncle Bill hates competition and he will sell Palm the rope to hang themselves.
    What Bill is offering them is a whole new market. Palm (maker of Treo Smartphones) is not PalmSource (maker of the Palm OS). So what Bill is doing is offering Palm the gun to shoot PalmSource . Palm is not a software company. They are a hardware company. A device manufacturer. So whatever happens to the Palm OS and PalmSource will not impact Palm much given their new buddy.
    From everything I'm reading, I tend to think that Palm OS is dead. Having suffered for years with Windows, this is not good news to me.

I don't want to buy a Treo running WM, but from all that I'm reading, the die is cast and the current version of Palm OS will likely be the last one that we see.

I've already said in a previous post that I wouldn't buy a Treo with WM, but if it's the only game in town, I may have no choice. What I WILL have a choice over though, is platform. By switching to WM, Palm becomes merely another builder of little boxes; there will be no reason, then for me not to consider the new Motorola Q, for example.

I think this will be the death of Palm altogether if they don't find an OS to support other than WM. If they drop support of Palm OS (as I think they're going to), then they, like other hardware manufacturers, will be at the mercy of M$, and that can't be a good thing in the long run.

On the other hand, if somehow PalmSource magically pulls it all together and comes up with Palm OS 6 that moves us forward (finally), then I'll jump on it first without a backwards glance at a WM-based smartphone.

Here's what the Palm suit DIDN'T say: he explicitly did NOT say that Palm was dropping support of Palm OS. He said that they weren't interested in a Linux-based OS or any other new OS, but he did NOT say that they were dropping their use of Palm OS. So I'm holding out faint hope... very faint...
    I wanted to hear that they have confidence in Cobalt/PalmLinux and the next Treo will have it, not that they'll release another Palm device with possibly no multi-tasking OS and limited future prospects.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    What Bill is offering them is a whole new market. Palm (maker of Treo Smartphones) is not PalmSource (maker of the Palm OS). So what Bill is doing is offering Palm the gun to shoot PalmSource . Palm is not a software company. They are a hardware company. A device manufacturer. So whatever happens to the Palm OS and PalmSource will not impact Palm much given their new buddy.
    Yes, I am sure the "siren's call" was something along the lines of, "We want you to be the 'Nokia' of Windows Mobile device manufacturers. Just as they layer on custom hardware-based programming to Symbian, you'll do the same with your "Treo-fication" of Windows Mobile..."

The only problem? Well, maybe this link from 2002 will help put things into perspective...
    Wow so there is hope that Palm OS will continue even if it is for a few more years...So what happens if they don't continue do we all get refunded by Billionaire Bill for all the effort we put into maintaining and upgrading our Treo's? I mean if its inevitable then so be it, just be upfront about it. I don't want to have wasted all my money on something that will be obsolete in January. Know what I mean jellybean?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    not that they'll release another Palm device with possibly no multi-tasking OS and limited future prospects.
    They have their next treo with "multi-tasking OS" It is the WM5 Treo. Expect the next Palm OS Treo to have the same hardware as the new WM5 treo, but same ole PalmOS that is in our 650.

Palm could not build a multi-tasking OS, so they went to Microsoft and bought one!

Cobalt is dead.....
    Palm/lunix is dead.....
    PalmOS has received the death sentence......

May PalmOS Rest in Peace.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Bigger leads have been eroded in the past.

Can Microsoft save Windows CE?
    by Ephraim Schwartz

June 2, 1999
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9906/02/wince.idg/
    In today's press conference:

Colligan said Palm would not extend its hardware platform to other smart-phone operating systems such as Linux or Symbian.

"We are going to focus on what we have on the table," he said. "This is for customers who want that familiar Windows user experience. Certainly for Palm, we will reach into many more companies with these devices."

Palm did not discuss how it will use the Palm OS in conjunction with the new hardware it showed off Monday. But the company has said it plans to continue developing products, including smart phones, based on the Palm OS.
    I am convinced that if some folks here were running Palm they would do a great job of running the company out of business.
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I am convinced that if some folks here were running Palm they would do a great job of running the company out of business.
    Darnell,

You seem to think Palm as an independent hardware company will have a better chance of surviving if they switch to the MS OS.

What you seem to fail to grasp is a Palm company not selling a Plam OS is dead.

If anyone wants a good MS Smartphone there are many to choose from. Palms move today seems to chime the end of the Palm OS, even if Palm is a hardware company. Is a Palm device a Palm device if it runs MS OS? To many it is not.

Many on this forum and who own a TREO bought it for the Palm OS.

Apple running MS Windows is not an Apple computer...IMHO.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    they also said they would make different versions of treo to branch out the pda phone line. i heard it from my own ears during treo roadshow. one year later they have nothing to show for.

maybe os5.4 will remain the os of the new "treo lite" phone that they will release at the 299, 399 price point? they keep using older os on the zire line right?

(sorry i am typing form work terminal where the cap key is not working.)
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    By switching to WM, Palm becomes merely another builder of little boxes; there will be no reason, then for me not to consider the new Motorola Q, for example.
    I quote what you said, I'm agree with you.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    <moved and merged>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast