Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well, there are the millions of people that have no intention of ever owning a WM device.

We will have to see what happens with Palm Source/Access in the comming months. Quick scan of headlines looks this morning makes me think that the Palm OS is headed towards being an open source product in the near future, or at least large portions of it. That could certainly spell interesting things for the future of that OS.

To turn the question around, can someone give me a reason it is in Palm's best interest to move the Treo to a WM exclusive operating system?

Gargoyle
    POS could not deliver a workable next-gen OS in time, and Palm decided in Feb 2004 to make a deal with the devil. The success of garnet Treo 650 has taken them by surprise, but by then they had finalized their plans long time ago. As Alanis Morissette said, isn't it ironic?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Just give me ONE reason that Verizon, Sprint, or Cingular want to support the same phone on TWO different OS platforms.
    I'm not a pundit on carriers and their support departments but are you telling me that they have a separate group for (last I checked on Sprint's website) 22 phones?

I would think their department at the most would be divided by OS all Palm, Windows, etc. For a hardware defect they almost always make you bring the phone in for the "hardware guy" to run the automated test. So I don't see any problem with supporting a Palm phone and a MS phone since they already do that.

My point is I don't think anyone knows one way or the other at this point how long a Palm OS Treo will be around for. I don't see definitive proof for either side right now, and all of us are just speculating in the absence of any real news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    So basically, they're flinging poo at the wall to see what sticks.
    Better, I think, than realizing too late that you were working with some non-sticky poo all along.
    My guess.There will be a Palm version with upgraded memory, better camera, EVDO. It will still have Garnet, although perhaps tweeked a little more and some new software such as a "Today" type of opening screen.

AND it will be in the current 650 style handset -- round buttons square corners.
    That's my biggest reach, but it may make sense. the hardware inside is going to be a little differenct in each phone, if nothing else a 240x240 screen in one and 320x320 in the other. If they were starting both phones from scratch, it would be more economical to use one case design, but since the new Palm treo wont be very much different than the current one, it will probably be easier and cheeper for them to have HTC continue to use the current style. Plus that gives some visual differentiation between the products.

just my guess, not taking any bets!
    I see the 700's bigger buttons as an improvement over the 650. (I hate it when I'm playing a video game, and I accidentally press the menu button!) So I think they'll use them for the next PalmOS version (which I believe will happen).
    I've been reading this forum for months and the one thing I've noticed is that there are more and more of you who have had more than one replaced treo due to problems. Also, the common cause of all these replacements came down to software incompatibilities.

Now if you're Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, etc. You're replacing all these phones. Even though you're probably getting credit from Palm, it's creating bad impressions towards your customer service and quality. I have no idea how many WM smartphones they're having the same trouble with but my guess is less than with the Treo.

I know that even though I have had palms for almost ten years, and love them, I don't see a problem changing to the WM operating system if it were priced right (which I don't see the 700w as being) and has the features I want. Right now, the only feature it doesn't have I really want is the built in wifi. I can't see paying the price they're talking about for the 700, and then having to pay over $100 for a wifi card that I have to take in and out each time I want to use it. I do believe that it will be built in in the next version. Planned obsolescence.

I know my 650 is only a few months old, so I plan on having it until they come out with the treo 800. I get at least two years out of a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    My guess.There will be a Palm version with upgraded memory, better camera, EVDO. It will still have Garnet, although perhaps tweeked a little more and some new software such as a "Today" type of opening screen.

AND it will be in the current 650 style handset -- round buttons square corners.
    That's exactly what the 650 SHOULD have been, not 110% of a Treo 600 minus 40% memory. Now that they have spit out the news of the 700w, it's coming around to the season of new Palm (Palm) Treo releases. IF your guess is correct (man, I wish it were), it's exactly the Treo I want and I'll be first in line to buy it.

If not, I'm gold plating my extended warranty on the 650, as it may be the last decent smartphone for a LOOOOONG time.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    IMO, there will definitely be at least one more PalmOS Treo generation smartphone, probably released sometime early next year...probably at the same time or later than the WM Treo 700. After that though, I think all bets are off...

First of all, I think it will truely depend on how sales of the WM Treo do in comparison to the next gen PalmOS version. If Palm's original estimations were correct and that a WM Treo does actually "grow and expand" their market without completely cannabalizing their PalmOS Treo line, then fine. However if the WM Treo version totally eclipses the PalmOS version, then I think the future of a PalmOS treo version will defintely be grave.. I don't want to believe, but I think that's how things might go...

Also, everything also depends on what eventually happens to PalmSource under Access. Will they actually meet their deadline to release Palm Linux? Will they realy be able to breath new life into the forgotten Cobalt OS and encourage lisencees to actually use it? Those are huge question marks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Jeff Kirvin's being quoted as "knowing" there is a 700p release, possibly before year end, that is "more impressive" than the 700w

http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/0...725284205.html

I find that pretty hard to believe, as Gates and Strigl would strangle Cooligan if a shiny new "700" of any kind upstages their WM5 baby.

But, the usual highly reliable Sprint store employees ( ) have been quoted in another thread as having a December replacement on the way for their 650.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Jeff Kirvin's being quoted as "knowing" there is a 700p release, possibly before year end, that is "more impressive" than the 700w

I find that pretty hard to believe, as Gates and Strigl would strangle Cooligan if a shiny new "700" of any kind upstages their WM5 baby.

But, the usual highly reliable Sprint store employees ( ) have been quoted in another thread as having a December replacement on the way for their 650.

What a tease. I agree Bill would be fuming if there's a Cobalt 700p that gives us multi-tasking and it's available BEFORE his shiny new 700w.

If Jeff Kirvin says it'll happen, though, I have a reason to believe. This quote does give hope to the OS. If Palm can show that a multi-tasking version of PalmOS is not a piece of crap, and LG can put some resources and marketing behind their Palm-based phones, we just might be able to call off the funeral.
    I've seen this thinking repeated on these boards a lot in the past week.

Partners can also be competitors. That's the nature of business in this country, and Bill, Ed, and the other guy understand that. Verizon sells products that compete with products from Microsoft and Palm. Microsoft smartphones that compete with Palm are sold by Verizon's competitors. No one, except it seems for people on this board, expects Palm to stop competing with Verizon and Microsoft.

And in case anyone missed it, this is from the main announcement article on the TreoCentral homepage:
    This announcement does not mean the end of Palm OS; Bush did go on record to say that "Yes, we will have future Treo products on Palm OS".

I believe.

I can see my self in December slowly opening the box. . . . .
    I smiled a very big grin when I read that that the "high up there palm guy" said "There will be an announcement of a new palm device before the end of the year".

Perry your a patient man to open the box slowly. I for one am not going to wait for the FedEx guy, I'm picking mine up at the warehouse. The anticipation on the day of is to exhausting
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123