Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by llarson
    What you seem to fail to grasp is a Palm company not selling a Plam OS is dead.
    Palm no longer owns an OS. They are purely a hardware company that licenses an OS. Assuming they can keep the Treo (hardware) modern, why would they be dead? The Palm OS might go away as a smartphone OS, but that's all up to Access. Since the Palm OS is in limbo, and was withering on the vine before the Access purchase, supporting WM5 makes a lot of sense for Palm. The Palm company needs some sort of OS for their smartphone hardware.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    If anyone wants a good MS Smartphone there are many to choose from. Palms move today seems to chime the end of the Palm OS, even if Palm is a hardware company. Is a Palm device a Palm device if it runs MS OS? To many it is not.

Many on this forum and who own a TREO bought it for the Palm OS.

Apple running MS Windows is not an Apple computer
    Well said.

I, for one, think this is going to hurt competition if anything. By Palm moving (slowly perhaps) towards Windows Mobile, it gives consumers less of a choice.

Choice encourages competition, perpetuates innovation, and grows the market. Sure, I'll admit, the switch may be good for Palm, but it's not good for the market and in turn consumers.
    Darnell,

You seem to think Palm as an independent hardware company will have a better chance of surviving if they switch to the MS OS.
    They don't have to do a full switch but it's about time they offer the OS that is selling more units than they've been selling without it.

What you seem to fail to grasp is a Palm company not selling a Plam OS is dead.
    I highly doubt that. And I've got a good feeling that your statement will be proven wrong in time.

If anyone wants a good MS Smartphone there are many to choose from.
    Not really. Not a single one has the features and form factor of the Treo.

Palms move today seems to chime the end of the Palm OS, even if Palm is a hardware company. Is a Palm device a Palm device if it runs MS OS? To many it is not.
    To me it is. An IBM PC running Windows is still and IBM PC.

Many on this forum and who own a TREO bought it for the Palm OS.
    Very true. It's just not proving to be a continually viable market into the future when compared with the fact more Windows devices are selling than Palms now. Not the first time a shift occured in the industry. Won't be the last.

I know plenty of Treo owners that did not buy it for the Palm OS, but other reasons.

Apple running MS Windows is not an Apple computer...IMHO.
    Again there are IBM PCs all over the world running Windows and not OS2.
    Palm extended it contract with Palmsource till the end of 2009 not long ago, so I doubt that Palm will stop supporting Palm OS any time soon. And let's not forget that Palm OS is moving to a Linux Kernal, and that will open up even more opportunities for Palm.

Just finished listening to the Analyst day conference. Ken Wirt's presentation stated that Palm will support multiple OS platforms, and there will be many different products targeting different segments of customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Palm extended it contract with Palmsource till the end of 2009 not long ago, so I doubt that Palm will stop supporting Palm OS any time soon. And let's not forget that Palm OS is moving to a Linux Kernal, and that will open up even more opportunities for Palm.

Just finished listening to the Analyst day conference. Ken Wirt's presentation stated that Palm will support multiple OS platforms, and there will be many different products targeting different segments of customers.
    So basically, they're flinging poo at the wall to see what sticks.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    <moved and merged>

party pooper! my thread was better
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Don't know that I would quite use the "poo" terminology. The simple fact is that Palm is now a hardware company. It does not serve their best interest to lock in to one OS. If they can extend their marketshare for Treo's by offering Palm and WM, that is the right decision for the firm and its shareholders. I listened to the entire webcast and heard nothing to indicate Palm had the slightest inclination to drop the Palm OS. Obviously, a huge market continues to exist for Palm smartphones. We'll have to see where Access takes the Palm OS, but for the immediate future, I would suspect we will see Treo's with WM and Palm co-existing side by side.

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    So basically, they're flinging poo at the wall to see what sticks.

mmmm I love "poo on a stick" Panda Express
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    They don't have to do a full switch but it's about time they offer the OS that is selling more units than they've been selling without it.

I highly doubt that. And I've got a good feeling that your statement will be proven wrong in time.

Not really. Not a single one has the features and form factor of the Treo.

To me it is. An IBM PC running Windows is still and IBM PC.

Very true. It's just not proving to be a continually viable market into the future when compared with the fact more Windows devices are selling than Palms now. Not the first time a shift occured in the industry. Won't be the last.

I know plenty of Treo owners that did not buy it for the Palm OS, but other reasons.

Again there are IBM PCs all over the world running Windows and not OS2.
    Darnell,

What seperates an IBM PC from a Dell or an HP PC. Price? Speed?

So what will seperate a TREO from lets say a Motorola Q (all be it vaporwear since it is not out yet.)

I have a personal issue with MS and the fact it is swallowing everyone up. That is how the market works so.....

Of course when everything is run by MS and Uncle Bill we will have many more choices....or will we?
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Why do people keep saying Palm is a hardware company? It's not a freaking hardware company. Hardware is commodity. Hardware is a dime a dozen in Taiwan. Hardware is HTC. Software is Microsoft. Now nobody needs the middleman Palm.

Palm's contract with PalmSource is for Zire/Tungsten/LifeDrive. Palm has already paid for it there is no point to switch to PocketPC. Palm can keep low balling the hardware spec and sell it for real cheap since PalmOS uses less resource than PocketPC.
    What seperates an IBM PC from a Dell or an HP PC. Price? Speed?

So what will seperate a TREO from lets say a Motorola Q (all be it vaporwear since it is not out yet.)

I have a personal issue with MS and the fact it is swallowing everyone up. That is how the market works so.....

Of course when everything is run by MS and Uncle Bill we will have many more choices....or will we?
    PC hardware has been somewhat commoditized.

Smartphones are far from that. The 700w is different from many of the other devices that run Windows Mobile. Palm spoke a lot during today's analyst session talking about their focus on usability. They demonstrated that without a touchscreen, doing some of the simplest tasks on the Q requires many more steps. When things that you have to do every day require lots of extra effort, the "delight" factor goes away.
    This announcement does not mean the end of Palm OS; Bush did go on record to say that "Yes, we will havefuture Treo products on Palm OS".

A quote from todays announcement...
    Jeff Hawkings is well known for slash-and-burn marketing. You need only go to VisorCentral.com (the grand daddy of TreoCentral.com) to understand he has no issues with completely abandoning a product line in favor of something new. If I were a PalmOS-using Treo owner, I'd be prepared for the worst.
    My angst is the fact that Palm hasn't made it's intentions clear. Do I buy more Palm software or do I wait and stock up on WM software? My wife wants a Treo 650 but without a clear path I don't want to buy a PalmOS based unit if developers are going to abandon the platform (and they will in droves).

As someone mentioned above, the efficiency of POS allowed Palm to get away with selling substandard hardware at a premium. Now they'll be on the same playing field as everyone else. They have NEVER had class leading specs. I'm not sure they'll make the transition to a commodity market. They also don't have the resources (and supplemental income) of Dell and HP. Good luck competing with the big boys Palm!!!

Aside from drivers I really don't see why Garnett was so bad. It was doing the job for me. I really don't see Palm's point of view here. Choices are great but are they offering 700p and 700s units? I'm not seeing choice. I pray they have a PalmUx unit waiting in the wings. I'll be the first in line!
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    My angst is the fact that Palm hasn't made it's intentions clear. Do I buy more Palm software or do I wait and stock up on WM software? My wife wants a Treo 650 but without a clear path I don't want to buy a PalmOS based unit if developers are going to abandon the platform (and they will in droves)...
    I disagree, and I think they've made their position VERY CLEAR.

1. Verizon is exclusive on 700w until "mid-year 2006"

2. There will be CDMA and GSM versions of 700w "after mid-year 2006"

3. Palm has NEVER released two phones for same carrier in the same year

4. So do you really think there's a 700p "waiting in the wings"?

I can see a Frankengarnet 5.xx tweak out there (maybe even with built in WiFi in an unlocked GSM version). Now I'm dreaming - I think we don't have WiFi already because Frankengarnet CANNOT handle multiple radios efficiently - without requiring a reboot between switches.

Any way you slice it or dice it, Palm has found the multi-tasking smartphone OS that it needs to make wireless broadband work in a Treo, and it is Windoze. The fact that Gates said they have been negotiating this relationship since they set the feature set for WM5, and that WM5 will be "lock-step" in development with Office, Outlook, and Exchange Server, all casts this in concrete.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Fortunately for all of us, Hawkins is no longer the key business decision maker at Palm. Colligan has clearly stepped into that role.

Furthermore, after listening to the entire announcement conference, I think Colligan made it clear, that for his part, this is about broadening Palm's product offerings, giving customers choices and extending Palm's market share. Also, looking at Colligan's comments when Access bought Palm Source, it seems clear Palm has a good relationship with Access and looks forward to continuing that relationship for the foreseeable future. It would be a terrible business decision for Palm to tie itself too closely to any one OS. Having healthy competition between OS's will spur innovation and make for greater sales of Palm's hardware.

For right now, the WM Treo will get most of the press because it is the new kid on the block. For those of us not interested in a WM Treo, we will have to wait and see what Access/Palm Source does and how this plays out with the Treo line. I would not be at all surprised to see Palm offering multiple devices with both WM and Palm OS through its carrier channels within the next couple years.

Gargoyle
    Does Palm have the resources to develop to 2 different OS's? It seems like they had a hard enough certifying a device for 1 OS with the carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    3. Palm has NEVER released two phones for same carrier in the same year
    Palm has never released a WM device either, so I don't think history is necessarily a great predictor of what Palm will do next.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    Does Palm have the resources to develop to 2 different OS's? It seems like they had a hard enough certifying a device for 1 OS with the carriers.
    That's it in a nutshell - Palm has a h#!! of a tough time stamping out bugs and crashes on one platform using one harware spec. Now, make that two platforms AND two harware specs, and you now have FOUR TIMES the fubar factor to control. More power to them, but you can bet that M$oft will not stand still for anything that trashes the reputation of WM5 because of poor exectuion by the third party (Palm).
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    Palm has never released a WM device either, so I don't think history is necessarily a great predictor of what Palm will do next.
    Just give me ONE reason that Verizon, Sprint, or Cingular want to support the same phone on TWO different OS platforms.

I can here it now at the Cingular support desk: "Let's see, is that Pocket Informant on WM5 causing the system freeze, or DateBk 5 and Treo Ringer on Palm OS 5.xx causing the system crash. Gee, why don't you call Bill Gates and see if he can help. Or better still, just call Palm (non)support."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast