Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53
  1. #21  
    Reality check time -

    Cooligan says coming to other carriers (including GSM) after mid-year 2006. That means they have a 700w in the pipeline for Sprint and Cingular, and perhaps an unlocked GSM worldphone.

    WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME PALM RELEASED TWO PHONES IN THE SAME YEAR FOR THE SAME CARRIER?

    So when will we see a 700p? 2007 - just in time for a PalmLinux OS - NO, because Cooligan said so. Does that mean Palm's going it alone as the ONLY Cobalt OS user. Unlikely.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2. #22  
    This announcement does not mean the end of Palm OS; Bush did go on record to say that "Yes, we will havefuture Treo products on Palm OS".

    According to todays announcement, the palm OS is not dead.
  3. #23  
    In April I had "cutting edge".....................

    Now I have "meh"........................?
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    So when will we see a 700p? 2007 - just in time for a PalmLinux OS - NO, because Cooligan said so. Does that mean Palm's going it alone as the ONLY Cobalt OS user. Unlikely.
    the question was lead by asking about new OS's like Symbian and he did mention Linux. I read it as no Symbian.

    700p in 2007 (close) here's why. Help me sort this out. 700w (Verizon) 01/06 other carriers 2nd half of '06 (maybe 3rdQ). I don't think Verizon will carry a 700p, two phone same just different OS. So will Sprint pass on the 700w because they have the 6700 and get the exclusive on a 700p.

    My guess 700p Sprint 08/06
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Cooligan says coming to other carriers (including GSM) after mid-year 2006. That means they have a 700w in the pipeline for Sprint and Cingular, and perhaps an unlocked GSM worldphone.
    Colligan was asked about the exclusivity with Verizon, and he said that they'd be talking with other carriers. But he didn't promise any launch dates for any other carriers.

    WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME PALM RELEASED TWO PHONES IN THE SAME YEAR FOR THE SAME CARRIER?
    They said that they will increase the pace of product rollouts. So don't expect them to proceed as they've done in the past.

    They also said that there will be more products announced before the end of this year.

    So when will we see a 700p? 2007 - just in time for a PalmLinux OS - NO, because Cooligan said so. Does that mean Palm's going it alone as the ONLY Cobalt OS user. Unlikely.
    Regarding Linux, I think the answer he gave wasn't definitive. Someone asked Colligan whether they were going to launch a third operating system such as Symbian or Linux, and I got the impression that he was strongly denying any plans to deal with a third platform such as Symbian...
  6. KenwoodPI's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #26  
    Okay...newb question here. Can our Palm address book be converted to be used on the Windows OS?

    I've got over 600+ work realted contacts/addresses in my Treo650
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenwood
    Okay...newb question here. Can our Palm address book be converted to be used on the Windows OS?

    I've got over 600+ work realted contacts/addresses in my Treo650

    Wrong thread...but yes. Any file that can be read can be converted to another format.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenwood
    Okay...newb question here. Can our Palm address book be converted to be used on the Windows OS?

    I've got over 600+ work realted contacts/addresses in my Treo650
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=110
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9. KenwoodPI's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #29  

    Thank You
  10. asiayeah's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow
    This announcement does not mean the end of Palm OS; Bush did go on record to say that "Yes, we will havefuture Treo products on Palm OS".

    According to todays announcement, the palm OS is not dead.
    Of course, they have to say this, because they are still having some Treo 600/650 in their inventories and they also don't want to upset all existing Treo users for now.

    But I do wonder how sincere they are when saying this. I don't think we can know for sure until we see the actual product announcement. I bet many Palm executives and staffs are as confused as we do.
  11. asiayeah's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I wonder how this bodes for the zire and other pda lines? Will they move that to wm or keep it completely seperate from the treo/smartphone line?
    We still have the rumored Palm TX and Zire 22. So I believe they will continue to have Palm OS for their pda lines. There's really no point for Palm to switch to use WM for the PDA lines, as PDA area is no longer a good business.
  12. #32  
    How many of Microsoft's 'partners' really push ANY other OS. Sure the big boys like Dell offer Linux if you REALLY want it, but what they push is Windoze.

    As time goes on MS will make it clear to Palm that to remain a prefered partner, with prime access to MS's plans, development info, etc. they need to let the Palm OS die a natural death. Actually, I'm sure Palm already knows this.

    MS deals with smaller companies are always one sided in MS's favor. Palm will release what it has in development now, and that will be the last of the P-OS, I suspect.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  13. asiayeah's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    How many of Microsoft's 'partners' really push ANY other OS. Sure the big boys like Dell offer Linux if you REALLY want it, but what they push is Windoze.

    As time goes on MS will make it clear to Palm that to remain a prefered partner, with prime access to MS's plans, development info, etc. they need to let the Palm OS die a natural death. Actually, I'm sure Palm already knows this.

    MS deals with smaller companies are always one sided in MS's favor. Palm will release what it has in development now, and that will be the last of the P-OS, I suspect.
    Your speculation makes a lot of sense.

    Right now, it's also very clear that Palm needs help from Microsoft much more than the other way around.

    It is sad to see Palm actually killing or betraying Palm OS itself.
  14. #34  
    How many of Microsoft's 'partners' really push ANY other OS. Sure the big boys like Dell offer Linux if you REALLY want it, but what they push is Windoze.
    Dell (and any other PC vendor) sells what people *want* to buy. Dell has aleady stated they'd be eager to sell PC's to run Apple's Intel ported OS X. Whether they will or won't (or will even be able to), if there's a market for it, Dell will sell it - regardless of what Microsoft wishes. If Dell won't, someone else will.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  15. #35  
    samkim:

    1. Cooligan couldn't have been clearer. He was asked about other OS's and he flatly said "no Symbian" and "no Linux."

    http://news.com.com/Palms+tale+of+Tr...tml?tag=st.num

    2. Cooligan was also very clear that there would be a GSM version and "other carriers" after mid-year 2006."

    3. Pace of roll outs is irrelevant. Give me just one reason why Verizon, Sprint or Cingular will want to carry and support the same phone on two different OS platforms? Why do you think Samsung dropped the great Palm OS4.x i500 in favor of the i730 PPC based slider?

    I don't think either platform is inherently "better" than the other. I just don't see carrier acceptance of the support burden for both platforms on essentially the same hardware. Our preference for Palm OS over WM5 is irrelevant to them, unless there are substantially more buyers for one over the other. And in the corporate world, they see Micro$oft "uber alles."

    Meyerweb (above) has the situation nailed. It's like the girl from Niger; you either end up riding the tiger, or insider her.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 09/27/2005 at 12:48 PM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  16. #36  
    i cannot imagine that apple would like to see a growing world of smartphone devices without the ability to sync with os x desktops.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    samkim:

    1. Cooligan couldn't have been clearer. He was asked about other OS's and he flatly said "no Symbian" and "no Linux."

    http://news.com.com/Palms+tale+of+Tr...tml?tag=st.num
    Thanks for the link. News.com quotes him exactly as I remember. He was saying he didn't want to deal with a third operating system. I don't know where you get the phrase "no Linux," or even "no Symbian." When you paraphrase, please don't use quotation marks.

    And the CEO of Palm is Ed Colligan.


    2. Cooligan was also very clear that there would be a GSM version and "other carriers" after mid-year 2006."
    You use quotation marks three times... I don't know which phrase you're saying is an exact quote. I remember him being vague and non-commital, as he always is about future plans.


    3. Pace of roll outs is irrelevant.
    You based your argument on Palm's historical pace of rollouts.


    Give me just one reason why Verizon, Sprint or Cingular will want to carry and support the same phone on two different OS platforms?
    LOL! The same reason Palm is making phones on two platforms - because they'll sell more phones!


    Why do you think Samsung dropped the great Palm OS4.x i500 in favor of the i730 PPC based slider?
    I'm not privy to Samsung's decision making process, but it seems reasonable to think that it was because it didn't sell well.


    I don't think either platform is inherently "better" than the other. I just don't see carrier acceptance of the support burden for both platforms on essentially the same hardware.
    The carrier decisions on smartphones will be driven by the needs of enterprise customers. 800 companies out of the Fortune 1000 are either using or testing Palm Treos today. Carriers will support what their corporate clients need.


    Meyerweb (above) has the situation nailed. It's like the girl from Niger; you either end up riding the tiger, or insider her.
    Both you and he seem to believe in a comic book caricature of business decision making.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Thanks for the link. News.com quotes him exactly as I remember. He was saying he didn't want to deal with a third operating system. I don't know where you get the phrase "no Linux," or even "no Symbian." When you paraphrase, please don't use quotation marks.

    And the CEO of Palm is Ed Colligan.


    You use quotation marks three times... I don't know which phrase you're saying is an exact quote. I remember him being vague and non-commital, as he always is about future plans.


    You based your argument on Palm's historical pace of rollouts.


    LOL! The same reason Palm is making phones on two platforms - because they'll sell more phones!


    I'm not privy to Samsung's decision making process, but it seems reasonable to think that it was because it didn't sell well.


    The carrier decisions on smartphones will be driven by the needs of enterprise customers. 800 companies out of the Fortune 1000 are either using or testing Palm Treos today. Carriers will support what their corporate clients need.


    Both you and he seem to believe in a comic book caricature of business decision making.
    samkim - my sincerest apologies for leading you astray with spurious quotation marks. A better reference is the full transcript of the proceedings at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/s...26Mobility.asp

    Now - as for the comments I was referring to:

    1. Cooligan on NO Symbian or Linux

    "QUESTION: Obviously -- this is a question for Ed. Obviously you've opened up the Palm devices to multiple operating systems. Now, I'm just wondering if you can talk a little bit about going forward with another operating system, Symbian, Linux -- (laughter).

    ED COLLIGAN: No. (Laughter.) No, not that, no, I can't talk about it; no, we don't need another operating system. I mean, really, we feel like the effort here was very much we felt like we could bring some new functionality to the marketplace through this partnership, we also thought we could reach some new customers, we thought a relationship with Microsoft, as we're looking around the world about who could we partner with to help us really take this market to another level, this was a company we thought would really make a difference for us in that. But do not take developing a whole new product on a new platform lightly. It is a major effort and it is something that we just aren't going to willy-nilly go bring up the next operating system now; it's too much effort. We're going to focus on what we've got on the table, and we're going to do a great job on those."


    All that's "on the table" right now is WM5 and Garnet.

    2. Cooligan on GSM and other carriers -

    "QUESTION: It's a question for Ed. Do you plan to put this -- do you plan to put out a device that uses GPRS or UMTS with the Windows Mobile operating system, and if so, when do you think that might happen?

    ED COLLIGAN: Absolutely, we plan on doing that. It's going to be after the middle of next year."


    Sorry, my bad. I said GSM and they were talking data on GPRS and UMTS - only available on GSM networks I believe. But of course, you knew that.

    3. Rollouts and pacing -

    You didn't answer my question - WHY would they (and their carriers) want to support two of the same device on two different platforms?

    4. meyerweb and me

    A little bit harsh there (comic book caricatures) don't you think. Check out this piece from Forbes today and then come back and say that with a smile on your face:

    http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/...ap2245253.html

    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  19. #39  
    You sound more sarcastic than sincere. You didn't lead me astray. And the quotation marks weren't spurious; your comment was.

    Thanks for providing the transcript.

    1. Colligan on Symbian and Linux.
    As I said, his answer was not definitive. You and I are interpreting his remark very differently. As I listened to him, I thought his strong reaction was to the mention of Symbian. Then he struggled to give a coherent answer about one thing they won't do and another thing that he can't talk about.

    And what they have on the table is Windows and Palm. (If it's just WM5 and Garnet, you'd have to also say that Palm would never move to WM6.)


    2. Colligan on GSM and other carriers
    You're right.

    3.
    You didn't answer my question - WHY would they (and their carriers) want to support two of the same device on two different platforms?
    Who is "they"? I answered your question about the carriers. My answer was, "because they will sell more phones!" What exactly don't you understand about my answer?

    4. I read the article, but I didn't notice anything relevant to Meyerweb's comments.

    It's much too simplistic to view Microsoft as an evil, all-powerful beast that will crush every small company that gets near it. First, they don't have a lot of monopolies beyond desktop Windows and Office. Second, they can't get away with the kind of behavior they used to. Third, there are many instances of companies successfully partnering with Microsoft in one arena while competing in others. And fourth, there are many companies that have competed with Microsoft head-on and survived.

    Saying that all deals with Microsoft are always unfair, or that Microsoft will win using underhanded tactics is painting a caricature of an evil Microsoft.
  20. #40  
    I'm not dissing Microsoft. They are not the omnipotent evil empire you think I see. In fact, given time (as they always do) they'll get to a stable OS. furthermore, without some level of standardization (in fact, that's where Apple shines in controlling the entire experience) we'd be in sixteen different flavors of Unix/CPM/DOS/Windows?OS2. My disappointment is with Palm. Let's agree to disagree, and we'll check back this time next year to see who is closer to right. Hopefully (in all sincerity) I will be the "wrong" party, and we'll have companion Palm and Windoze OS on Treos. I'm afraid, however, that we wont.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions