1.    #1  
    I am a current out of contract T-Mobile user (Since 2000) who is interested in getting a Treo 650. With the introduction of the new 700, and T-Mobile no longer carrying the 600, are the prices for the 650 going to drop? Is my only recourse to shell out the 480 or so for a new or unlocked Cingular one on Ebay? I am willing to sign up for a new contract but want to keep my old phone number. Any advice on what to do?
    No need to sign new contract unless you are trying to get better pricing. T-Mo still carries the Treo 600 at the business side:
    http://www.t-mobile.com/business/pro....asp?class=pda
    If you sign up with Cingular, the price could be $299.
    An unlock 650 is $649.
    At this point, if you want to stay with TMo, eBay or sellers here may be your best option but buyer beware as usual.
    I am also on tmo and wanted to get a 650, I won a paid for a 650, but got ripped off now i am dealing with the paypal bs.

I won another tro 650 that was suppose to be unlocked cingular, but I used my tmo sim and said sim not allowed, so now i have sent an email to the seller and waiting for a reply.

buyer beware indeed.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    I bought a Cingular branded 650 with a 1 GB SD UltraII for $300. It came with 2 sylus ink pens/pencils/combos/charger and some Documents to Go Prem.

Then, I used unlockcellular and unbranded the firmware.

Using TMo's regional 3000 anytime minutes for 49.99 + unlimited TZones for 4.99 and the upgraded SMS+picture package for another 2.99.

I've bought some additional items like a BT headset, GPS reciever and a Vaja case.

Been very happy with it since I was an existing TMo customer.
    I bought an unlocked treo 650 directly from palm. I knew I was going to pay $700 for it so I figured I might as well get if from the manufactur. I then took the sim card out of my old motorala phone and inserted it in to my treo. I turned it on and was make and receiving phone calls within about 2 minutes.
    I bought an unlocked one from www.provantage.com, inserted my SIM and everything worked A-OK.
    smazo... this is for you and for others who are in similar situation.

I am also with Tmobile. I am generally happy with them. I did not want to switch carrier and go through the hassle to keep the number, etc in the name of saving some money. But they were not offering Treo 650! Problem, right?

This is what I did.... So, I called and told them that what I was 'going to get' no matter what. Then I explained the representative that I could get one at $300 with a contract. If I dont do that and buy one in retail price I would be spending extra $200-300 out of my own pocket to remain as your customer. So, I would be the one who pays / makes the effort to stay as 'your customer', not you! Since I was out of contract at that time and going month-to-month basis, I openly asked that I am expecting a credit or something in compansating me to continue my business, otherwise I said, I was ready to switch carrier because it would make cost sense.

First tier representatives are always handling usual things, usual requests. So, my demand required higher rank person. After some transfering between higher rank officers in customer support army, I was agreed to receive $100 instant credit and one month free service, so it is about $145 value. They asked to renew contract in return, I happyly accepted as I was happy with Tmobile anyway.
    I hope this helps.

Oh, I got my phone at eBay, brand new and unbranded from a good seller. It works fine.

Good luck. Welcome to a distinct Treo world and amongst prouded users/owners.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    if you get a treo 650 to use on tmobile make sure you get an unlocked gsm one and not an unlocked cingular one. If you have the cingular one noone will help warranty you if your phone has any problems and require warranty. this phone has so many problems its not worth it. rite now i'm stuck with a defective phone that is still supposed to be under warranty but nobody will cover me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgvnut
    if you get a treo 650 to use on tmobile make sure you get an unlocked gsm one and not an unlocked cingular one. If you have the cingular one noone will help warranty you if your phone has any problems and require warranty. this phone has so many problems its not worth it. rite now i'm stuck with a defective phone that is still supposed to be under warranty but nobody will cover me.
    I don't understand - isn't a "unlocked cingular" 650 also a "unlocked gsm"? Give us more details about your situation. Be specific.

rskinner, I looked at Provantage site and I think they no longer sell 650s. If I'm wrong, please provide link.

To all, who have been good, "safe" T650 sellers on eBay? I don't want to drop a bundle on a Treo-shaped paperweight.
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
    If you ahve a locked GSM phone and want to use TMO...go to unlockcellular.com and pay $19.99 and have it unlocked. I did with my Cingular locked phone and it took me less then five minutes. I can use any SIM card now on any provider. I travel internationally so this has come in very handy.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azazello
    I don't understand - isn't a "unlocked cingular" 650 also a "unlocked gsm"? Give us more details about your situation. Be specific.

rskinner, I looked at Provantage site and I think they no longer sell 650s. If I'm wrong, please provide link.

To all, who have been good, "safe" T650 sellers on eBay? I don't want to drop a bundle on a Treo-shaped paperweight.
    they are two different phones that palm offers. The unlocked cingular you can get from cingular and it is locked to cingular. You would have to unlock it to use it on t-mobile or any other gsm network. Palm offers an unlocked gsm model that is not locked to any carrier and allows you to use it on any gsm. I believe you can only get that one from palm or ebay of coarse. The unlocked gsm one usually go for more than the cingular ones on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    If you ahve a locked GSM phone and want to use TMO...go to unlockcellular.com and pay $19.99 and have it unlocked. I did with my Cingular locked phone and it took me less then five minutes. I can use any SIM card now on any provider. I travel internationally so this has come in very handy.
    Apparenty there's someone on eBay, JT-unlock, that'll do it for $10-15 - http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97947