Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. jjd
    So it is clear that the 700w with windows ce (or whatever they want to call it) is going to be announced on monday.

The name "700w" kind of implies there is going to be a 700p with PalmOS. However, as far as I have read, there have been no rumors or sightings of a 700p.

Has anyone read or heard anything about a PalmOS-based replacement for the 650? Presumably something with EV-DO?

--Jim--
    If you look in some of the threads in this Future Treo's forum (I think a 670 thread) there's a post or two from someone who claims to have seen the next Palm.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    the MAIN purpose of monday's meeting will be of course, WM5, but I have a feeling we're in for a few more releases.
    I could be wrong, but something tells me they will announce the 700p at the same time, despite most of the focus being devoted to the 700w, since its an entirely new direction for palm.
    maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my gut feeling.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    the MAIN purpose of monday's meeting will be of course, WM5, but I have a feeling we're in for a few more releases.
    I could be wrong, but something tells me they will announce the 700p at the same time, despite most of the focus being devoted to the 700w, since its an entirely new direction for palm.
    maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my gut feeling.
    me TOO!!! I have that same wish ..... I mean feeling
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    With Bill Gates there, I don't think there will be anything else discussed or announced besides the 700w.
    Palm will have a separate live webcast at 1:00 PM on Monday... May be an announment of other hardware. They are rumored to be announcing other new hardware next week...
    It would be nice...not sure why they would put the WM crown before the POS folks unless there is a ton of cash in it for them.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

In addition to all other potential factors maybe the relationship with the company that is buying PalmSource (Japan based Access Co) is not going so well...
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Palm will have a separate live webcast at 1:00 PM on Monday... May be an announment of other hardware. They are rumored to be announcing other new hardware next week...
    this is there analyst day. idoubt they would annonce anything so soon after the wm announcement.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    It would be nice...not sure why they would put the WM crown before the POS folks unless there is a ton of cash in it for them.
    There is a ton of cash in it for them. If their device is shown to be superior to other WM devices, or at least sucessfully marketed as such, then they open up to a larger market for PDA's while maintaining their near monopoly on POS. To Palm its a great opportunity and a way to diversify their product portfolio.
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    With Bill Gates there, I don't think there will be anything else discussed or announced besides the 700w.
    I think you're spot on. I don't believe Gates is too keen on sharing the spotlight on things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    this is there analyst day. idoubt they would annonce anything so soon after the wm announcement.
    true, but they are suppose to discuss there product road map which may help.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    so now I feel good that I held off on upgrading to the 650 (Cingular GSM 600) and can jump to 700W or 700P. By the way, would Palm PIM information be tranferrable to a 700W? If I get a 700W does that mean contact/calendar info is handled by Outlook?
    You can already put your PIM information into Outlook and use it to sync, even with your T600. If you reinstall your Palm Desktop software that's one of the options during install, to use Outlook instead of Palm Desktop.

I'd say the odds are about 100% that the Treo 700w will use Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    There is a ton of cash in it for them. If their device is shown to be superior to other WM devices, or at least sucessfully marketed as such, then they open up to a larger market for PDA's while maintaining their near monopoly on POS. To Palm its a great opportunity and a way to diversify their product portfolio.
    Although I am willing to try a WM treo, I suspect that WM users will not want a smaller screen. For someone like me who hasnt played much with it, I probably won't be too annoyed. I am just wondering how this will affect sales.

I think that the EVDO will be a huge factor...especially with streaming media with the WM platform right?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    You can already put your PIM information into Outlook and use it to sync, even with your T600. If you reinstall your Palm Desktop software that's one of the options during install, to use Outlook instead of Palm Desktop.

Thank you for the reply.
    Pocket PC devices have always shipped with an Outlook CD. I doubt this will change now. It will most definitely sync with it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    In addition to all other potential factors maybe the relationship with the company that is buying PalmSource (Japan based Access Co) is not going so well...
    Where did you hear that? Cite?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Where did you hear that? Cite?
    Good thing WSJ.com allows free access to this one.
    See:Palm Set to Use Microsoft Code On Treo Phones

All the details are there.
    You can also check out: Japan's Access to buy PalmSource
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast