Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the link. However, I don't see any mention there of trouble wtih Palm's relationship with the new PalmSource company. In fact, the article indicates the opposite:

"The collaboration with Microsoft may not mean that Palm will stop using software from PalmSource. In a statement earlier this month when PalmSource announced its sale to Access, Palm CEO Ed Colligan said the company "looks forward to continuing our strong working relationship to advance the Palm operating system platform." "
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Please read my statement again:
    In addition to all other potential factors maybe the relationship with the company that is buying PalmSource (Japan based Access Co) is not going so well...
    The word "maybe" and the dots at the end of the sentence were used because my statement is speculation.
    I'll throw in my two cents: Unless Palm comes out with this highly dreamed of 700p, I will stick with my new 650. It does everything my 600 did, and more, and I could not be happier with it. Now, if Palm releases another Treo with more features AND the familiar face of the Palm OS, I will definitely consider it. Windows Mobile tempted me once, and will not do it again (the relationship ended badly. We're not speaking).
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    so now I feel good that I held off on upgrading to the 650 (Cingular GSM 600) and can jump to 700W or 700P. By the way, would Palm PIM information be tranferrable to a 700W? If I get a 700W does that mean contact/calendar info is handled by Outlook?
    As Darnell said, you could put your Palm PIM data into Outlook already, as a method of transfer to the new 700w.

But, I have to believe that you would not have to do that work around. I would be very suprised if the 700w install process did not provide for an upgrade path from prior Palm OS devices.

Cheers, Perry.
    Any words on the availability date for the 700 running Palm? I don't know if this question was asked?

Thanks,

Al
    From what they said, it will never run palm. They are devoting their efforts to windows mobile treo...
  7. jjd
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    From what they said, it will never run palm. They are devoting their efforts to windows mobile treo...
    Can you please clarify?

Did they say "The Treo 700 hardware will never run PalmOS" or did they say "Palm will no longer build PalmOS devices." ?

The two statements are very different.

Thanks,
    --Jim--
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I don't remember him saying "never" He said "this isn't about replacing anything, it's about more choice's"
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Although I am willing to try a WM treo, I suspect that WM users will not want a smaller screen. For someone like me who hasnt played much with it, I probably won't be too annoyed. I am just wondering how this will affect sales.

I think that the EVDO will be a huge factor...especially with streaming media with the WM platform right?
    When going toe to toe with other WM5 devices, the smaller screen is only one factor (and could be a pro or con depending the users needs or wants). But they will really have to up the processor and internal memory to really compete with other WM5 phones at the same price point. This is where, though with no confirmation, I think Palm is going to waste yet another great opportunity to lead the market as it did with the Treo 600.
    Yeah...this 700w announcement has me concerned too. The fact that the 700w won't be available till mid 2006 makes me wonder if the 700p will be 'delayed.'

If and when a Treo 700p is released, I'm not upgrading unless there's 64MB ROM, Bluetooth 1.2, EVDO (Sprint), and Cobalt 6.x or some Palm/Linux variant. Would be nice if it had Wi-Fi and a 1.2 MP camera (with flash) but I'm not holding my breath. Even then, I would have to seriously consider 700p only because Microsoft (MS) seems to be taking over. For starters, what will happen to all our Palm apps? Will we be forced to pay for MS versions years down the road? It's entirely possible.

If Apple has any smarts, they should license the iTunes program on future Treos (or partner with PocketTunes in some way), but only with the Palm versions (though MS would probably balk on that one.) This would make sense with EVDO coming out. I think the iTunes ROKR phone is a beta test to see how well it sells. Ya never know how this whole scenario will go down, as it's been discussed on TC before: what if Apple buys Palm? Someone was joking on TC earlier about a 'Tripod' or an an iTreo...
    Given the quotes from Palm execs in the story on the front page, I'd say this is more about Palm positioning itself as a hardware manufacturer than any souring relationships. If anything, I'm actually surprised at MS, more or less, conceding that Palm's Treo form factor has beaten its best efforts.

This will definitely put Palm in an interesting, but potentially very profitable situation. If it can maintain an alliance with MS and still keep itself at arms distance and offering Palm OS devices, it could end up the undisputed champ of handheld hardware. Still, it's working with a much larger firm and keeping that distance could become difficult in a hurry.

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    This is where, though with no confirmation, I think Palm is going to waste yet another great opportunity to lead the market as it did with the Treo 600.
    I guess thats one way to look at it. Another possible view is that this is the first of many WM treos. For those MS lovers, arguably the Treo has finally arrived.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I only mentioned that way because they are going to fall short of the competition if they do not up the hardware with the WM release. But, I also agree that this is just their first step towards a new world. I guess that I just hope it is a giant leap instead of first step.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    The fact that the 700w won't be available till mid 2006 makes me wonder if the 700p will be 'delayed.'
    The 700w will be available "very early" 2006 on Verizon. It might be available on other carriers mid 2006 (but that has not been determined).

Quote Originally Posted by jjd
    Can you please clarify?

Did they say "The Treo 700 hardware will never run PalmOS" or did they say "Palm will no longer build PalmOS devices." ?

The two statements are very different.

Thanks,
    --Jim--
    They said neither.
    Remember, palm makes many other palm-os devices. They will still be using the palm OS for those devices. It makes no sense to abandon the Palm OS smartphone market. Palm was interested in buying PalmSource when they found out it was for sale.
    Palm can come out with a treo 700p tomorrow, with 64 mb ram, 1.3 MP camera and it will sell... What other options are there availble for PalmOS smartphones?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8
    I'll throw in my two cents: Unless Palm comes out with this highly dreamed of 700p, I will stick with my new 650. It does everything my 600 did, and more, and I could not be happier with it. Now, if Palm releases another Treo with more features AND the familiar face of the Palm OS, I will definitely consider it. Windows Mobile tempted me once, and will not do it again (the relationship ended badly. We're not speaking).
    I feel exactly the same. I had owned maybe 5 different WM devices over the years (the last imate Jam) and there is no way in hell I'd ever go back. Using POS has been heaven compared to WM. I know a lot of people are saying, in typical Microsoft fashion, 'oh but this one's better', but if Palm don't produce something decent based on Palm, then I have no choice but to look towards Symbian or something when my 650 dies (which won't be for a LOOOOOONG time I imagine). I'm not putting one cent towards another Gates monopoly and feel personally disgusted that I wasted so much time and money on that product line in the past.
    Compaq Aero 2100 -> Toshiba E570 -> Toshiba E800 -> O2 XDA II Mini -> PalmOne Treo 650
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12