Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of a good list of "what to do" if your Treo is stolen? I have taken some of the more obvious precautions, but I'd be glad to see a well-thought-out checklist. (yes, mine was stolen today... and my life is in that thing)

Many thanks
    tony
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTal
    Does anyone know of a good list of "what to do" if your Treo is stolen? I have taken some of the more obvious precautions, but I'd be glad to see a well-thought-out checklist. (yes, mine was stolen today... and my life is in that thing)

Many thanks
    tony
    Police report, notify your carrier to be on the look out for the ESN or whatever they use, keep your fingers crossed. Also if you have any credit card info on it you should knw what to do.
    Sorry about your loss, Tony. I know what your are feeling, my Treo knows more about me than I do. If you had banking info in there, I would consider closing those credit cards and checking accounts. Check with your credit bureau and/or bank about other identity theft precautions.

Good Luck.

Next time:

1. Password protect the device.
    2. Install mSafe (several functions, one is sending the device an sms message to erase.)
  4.    #4  
    NRG, Perry, thanks very much. I actually did have a M/C number in there. duhhh
    what's that expression ... it seemed like a good idea at the time ...

this is my 4th Palm (I think) and first time I've had this happen. ouch.
    t
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTal
    NRG, Perry, thanks very much. I actually did have a M/C number in there. duhhh
    what's that expression ... it seemed like a good idea at the time ...

this is my 4th Palm (I think) and first time I've had this happen. ouch.
    t
    Don't feel bad about the CC#, I keep mine in there as well. Never know when you are going to order something and not have your wallet handy. Did you have it in a password protected app? Also, I suggest, if you put sensitive data on the Treo please get a program like mSafe or something like it. I wish you luck.

P.S. Did you have insurance on it?
    I kep my CC numbers in a memo and keep it as a hidden, password required memo. I've just assumed that this was safe because when someone else snoops around and selects "Show hidden files" a password is required.
    I'd never seen msafe before - looks like a great program!!!
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    SplashID is free now, at least on the Treo side.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I use the built in security feature to lock the treo. It requires a code to do anything other than call 911 or answer the phone.

Is that safe enough???
    I think it's safe enough!

I'm thinking very seriously though about getting mSafe. My personal problem is that my very frequent use of my Treo is mostly done in my office, car, home, and church; all places that I don't feel are risky enough to justify entering a code every time I use it.

Then again, I do occasionally set it down on the restaurant table during lunch or on the soccer field during practices; places where I could forget to pick it up.

This is where the SMS locking & erasing feature would be great for me. Of course, there's the risk that my info could aready be infiltrated by the time I lock it via SMS, but I don't keep any high-security type of items anywhere but in locked private records in my memos.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    You can use TreoHelper a free app to do a poor man's version of a remote look. I think it was discussed in the forums somewhere or let me know if you need to know to set it up. It won't erase though.
    A while back I remember hearing about a piece of s/w that would allow you to do a hard reset by remote telephone call to the handset in the event it was stolen. Anyone remember this?
  13. FjT
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    A while back I remember hearing about a piece of s/w that would allow you to do a hard reset by remote telephone call to the handset in the event it was stolen. Anyone remember this?

MSafe does that.
    http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?msafe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    mSafe is one. Allows you to either send a "lock" or "erase" message via text.

http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/product.asp?id=782

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    You can use TreoHelper a free app to do a poor man's version of a remote look. I think it was discussed in the forums somewhere or let me know if you need to know to set it up. It won't erase though.
    I got a request to do this - so I figured I'd do it here for all.

Download and install Treohelper if you don't already have it. http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html
    The site says it is version .56, but the help file and application are version .70

From the selection at the top, choose SMS, there are multiple triggers you can setup, I assume this will be #1.
    Choose enable this trigger, enter the appropriate trigger text, I used 'Lost'
    For Launch, choose 'Lock'
    I have selected to Delete the message after it's recieved, but not necessary.

Then, you must make sure you've setup security on your Treo. Go to the Security app and make sure you have assigned a password.

If you ever lose your Treo or it's stolen, send a text message to your phone with the trigger text ('Lost' in my example) and it will lock your device.

This is not as full featured by any means as mSafe, but it is free.
    Great advice on the Treohelper/Lock combination. I've used a Palm for over 5 years now and I didn't realize it shows the Owner information on the screen when the device is locked. Hehehehe.

You may also want to keep regular backups of your RAM on the SD card, then back up the card. I back it up and burn CDs twice a month.

Also, for the security experts out there, is SplashID secure enough to hold all your information? I have EVERYTHING in there and figured the encryption would make sure things are safe.
    You may also want to keep regular backups of your RAM on the SD card, then back up the card. I back it up and burn CDs twice a month.
    If the idea is to be more secure, I would think it is a bad idea to backup to your SD card. I don't use any of the backup tools so I'm not sure how they work, but it would seem to me that if you have backup on the card, someone who found your treo could do a hard reset and then restore from backup getting all of your info back - is that correct?

I didn't realize it shows the Owner information on the screen when the device is locked.
    Someone else here suggest that this was the best way to create an ICE (In case of Emergency) contact on your Treo as many non Treo users would not be able to figure out how to find a contact in your Treo.
    Good point on the info being on the card backup.

1. BackupBuddy has an encrypt the backup to card option.

2. mSafe can erase the card and the Treo with it's wipe command from a sms text you can send to it.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/24/2005 at 03:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Set it to self-destruct.
    After I stopped crying I would make sure to double check this thread.

Thinking....the lanyard to wear your Treo around your neck is not looking quite so geeky now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast