Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We need a Lo-Jack type device or some type of GPS System. I would be very upset if I lost it. Since I am on my phone ALL THE TIME, it is rarley out of my site or hands for that fact. Lo-Jack would be pretty sweet don't you think?
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I use remote lock. Basically, you send an SMS and it locks the whole unit up until you plug in the password.
    i put all my credit card, password, and other sensitive info into Secret! by Linkesoft. it's the only current free-flow memo security encryption app i've found.

http://www.linkesoft.com/secret/
    Last edited by Gekko; 09/24/2005 at 04:42 PM.
    free?
    Quote Originally Posted by lincman
    I use remote lock. Basically, you send an SMS and it locks the whole unit up until you plug in the password.
    I was just reading about 'Remote Lock'. Is there any way to know if your SMS message was received, or do you just keep sending one every half-hour for a week hoping to catch it?

It'd be cool if it had a reply-to address to send a confirmation to.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    I have tried it quite a few times. I am on Cingular using an unlocked 650. I have even done it with the phone off and when the phone is turned on and gets the SMS it shuts down immediatly. Never had to issue the message more than once.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce
    We need a Lo-Jack type device or some type of GPS System. I would be very upset if I lost it. Since I am on my phone ALL THE TIME, it is rarley out of my site or hands for that fact. Lo-Jack would be pretty sweet don't you think?
    This sholud be possible. I mean if you use the E911 locator feature. You could have an app like a modified mSafe activate this feature with an SMS, then it would transmit the loaction to to a company every 10 min. or so, no?
    Thanks for the Treo Helper tip. I was able to kill two birds with one stone:

The Remote-Locking works like a charm.

Plus, now the phone is set to automatically power-on after a reset, which is something that has always bugged me, but not so much that I would spend $10 on a shareware application to change.

And on top of it all, there's no slowdown on the PalmInternals Speedtest, TreoHelper doesn't use HEDE, and after a solid day, I can't find any new quirks in the treo after installing it.

Good tip all around.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    TonyTal, sorry for your loss. Hope your baby finds its way back to you.

Wernst, I'm trying the TreoHelper trick with no luck so far. It's just as if I received a regular ol' text message. I'm using version 0.70 on a Sprint 650, and I'm sending the SMS from an Exchange 2003 server. Tried it in both the message body and the subject line. Oh, and I reset the Treo since I read somewhere that TreoHelper doesn't activate until after a soft reset. Any ideas?
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Never mind; I figured it out. It doesn't work with multi-word trigger text. Shortened the trigger text from 2 words to 1 and it works fine now.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    I was just reading about 'Remote Lock'. Is there any way to know if your SMS message was received, or do you just keep sending one every half-hour for a week hoping to catch it?

It'd be cool if it had a reply-to address to send a confirmation to.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    MSafe allows for a reply to be sent to 1 or 2 numbers, thereby verifying the receipt of the SMS lock or wipe command.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Take a look at stuffbak.com.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12