1.    #1  
    Hi All.

I have a TREo 650 from Verizon.

My first months bill was like $500 because when I logged on to check my email the Versamail (3.0c) the software never disconnected me. Same with going on the web.

Does anyone have a solution so that Verizon does not keep charging for minutes when we are connected to the internet but not sure that we are?!

This MUST be a problem for other users with Treos!!

Please help.
    There is no guarantee that you can be totally disconnected from all data sessions on a Treo device. It's just the nature of the device...they are data-hungry, and there's no real way to reliably stop it from using data .

Your best bet is to get an unlimited plan, so you don't have to worry about measured data.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your response but if that is true then that is really stupid.
    Who wants to pay $40 a month extra on top of the $60 plan I have now?? I am getting by fine with 900 peak minutes, free nights and weekends and "in" calls.

Someone must have a solution to this.... why can't the software simply time out and sign off after X minutes of no activety? That's not rocket science.
    Seems like VZW is the worst with this.

You're best bet is to manually disconnect with Prefs>Network, although an unlimited data plan is really the best way to go with these devices.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    In version 2.6, under Options/Preferences in the Advanced tab, there are options for Auto-Disconnect and Disconnect on Exit. I don't know if those exist in newer versions, though.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    these option have been there. and they work
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    There is no guarantee that you can be totally disconnected from all data sessions on a Treo device. It's just the nature of the device...they are data-hungry, and there's no real way to reliably stop it from using data .

Your best bet is to get an unlimited plan, so you don't have to worry about measured data.
    if the arrows arent on over the battery indicator how is data being used?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by treooert2
    Hi All.

I have a TREo 650 from Verizon.

My first months bill was like $500 because when I logged on to check my email the Versamail (3.0c) the software never disconnected me. Same with going on the web.

Does anyone have a solution so that Verizon does not keep charging for minutes when we are connected to the internet but not sure that we are?!

This MUST be a problem for other users with Treos!!

Please help.
    TreoHelper (Free) does this well.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Are you sure that the charges are stemming from the fact that you're not disconnecting? The reason I ask is that with Verizon, you're not being charged for airtime during data use. Remaining connected will cost you nothing as long as data is not being received or transferred. But, and Verizon is infamous for this, if you have not signed up for a data plan and log on to National Access to check email or surf the web, Verizon will "automatically" enroll you in the "pay as you go" data plan. This can result in a real shock when you receive your bill. The "pay as you go" plan will charge you a flat $4.99/mo plus $0.015 per kb of data transferred, both up and down. So, if for instance you checked your mail several times a day and surfed the web a few times a day, you could easily transfer 10-15 MB of data in a month. 15 MB of data usage on the pay as you go plan would result in an add-on charge on your bill of $229.99! I'm currently at "war" with Verizon because three weeks ago I called customer service and signed up for a 20 MB plan for $20 which I learned of on another forum. Then yesterday I got a call from a Verizon Account Auditor who informed me that there had been an error and that while I had indeed been signed up for the 20 MB/$20 plan, there really was no such plan and did I want to go with the "pay as you go" (also known as the b.o.h.i.c.a. plan), the 10 MB for 24.99 or the unlimited for 44.99. I'm still seething and arguing with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    these option have been there. and they work
    Don't seem to work on mine. I tried several different time-out periods and...nothing. The green arrows only disappear when I disconnet manually.