1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    If this is in another thread please let me know but I couldn't find it. With the upcoming windows mobile treo what are the major advantages btwn WM 5.0 and Palm from an end user perspective? Are there any major advantages? I am platform agnostic and I don't want to start one of those windows vs palm debates. I just want to know if there are any significant advantages that either offer over the other? Or in other words, if I am basically happy with my Treo 650 will there be any reason to switch to a Treo with WM 5.0?

I had a pocket pc phone from t-mobile which was ok but it was not a 'one handed' machine like the treo. I understand MW 5.0 is supposed to be much more 'one-handed'.
    Quote Originally Posted by BD1
    If this is in another thread please let me know but I couldn't find it. With the upcoming windows mobile treo what are the major advantages btwn WM 5.0 and Palm from an end user perspective? Are there any major advantages? I am platform agnostic and I don't want to start one of those windows vs palm debates. I just want to know if there are any significant advantages that either offer over the other? Or in other words, if I am basically happy with my Treo 650 will there be any reason to switch to a Treo with WM 5.0?

I had a pocket pc phone from t-mobile which was ok but it was not a 'one handed' machine like the treo. I understand MW 5.0 is supposed to be much more 'one-handed'.
    For starters, having a majority of people on one platform makes it a big target for malicious software (not only via website, but unprotected bluetooth connections, etc..)
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Yes, this was one of my main question from my earlier thread on do I get new WM Treo and wait or go with 650? It seems new Treo will have EDVO or Wi-Fi, plus other upgrades. The question for me is not what has the old operating system been like, but what is the new WM 5.0 UI like? Will it be one-handed navigation? I the last 24-48 hours have been researching this and it seems the new UI in WM 5.0 will make it very much like the PALM so that it will be almost the exact one handed navigation, is that correct? If that is the case maybe that is why Palm has chosen to go with WM 5.0 because it will know work well with the Treo hardware and be one-handed navigation. See I have never been a Palm or WM user and I am totally new, was just fixing to buy a Treo when I heard about new Treo. Thanks to these Forums and advice from you good people I will wait for an announcement to choose. I agree that Palm is awesome due to its one-handed features and UI and simplicity. But if this new WM 5.0 does the same and the new hardware has Wi-Fi, EVOD, better camera, more RAM/ROM, etc. why would I not go with the new Phone. For me there are two big things how will the WM 5.0 work, does it still give me one-handed use, and is there a big upgrade to the hardware.

The problem is that the new WM5.0 is so new I donít think anyone can say if they have truly made the UI simpler like Palms for one-handed navigation. IF it is no better and the upgrades are not that big of deal I will go with the 650, and wait for an up grade Palm Treo with EDVO and Wi-Fi in 06.
    One handed navigation (it wont be as good) is not the be all or end all of a PDA Phone Device.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    One handed navigation (it wont be as good) is not the be all or end all of a PDA Phone Device.

Surur
    That depends on whether you're a heavy phone user. If having the phone is just an adjunct benefit of the PDA, you're right. If you use the phone a lot, one-handed operation is a godsend.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I believe no one has been able to beat this .

"Lean Mean One handed Machine"

Many PPC smartphones have come and gone.

Ref: Treo Killer cemetery.
    I'm sure it will work perfectly fine for phone usage, contact look-up etc. Surfing the Internet is not exactly phone usage.

Surur
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    My experience has been this:

You know those little niggly details about the Palm OS that drive you crazy? Well, they don't exist on Windows Mobile!

However, WM has its own set of insanity-inducing details that don't exist on the Palm OS. You trade off one set of annoyances for another.

My advice is, if you're happy with your Treo, and have no specific feature or reason that's calling you to switch, stick with your Treo. You'll save a lot of time and money. Vice-versa also applies for WM users.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenf
    My experience has been this:

You know those little niggly details about the Palm OS that drive you crazy? Well, they don't exist on Windows Mobile!

However, WM has its own set of insanity-inducing details that don't exist on the Palm OS. You trade off one set of annoyances for another.

My advice is, if you're happy with your Treo, and have no specific feature or reason that's calling you to switch, stick with your Treo. You'll save a lot of time and money. Vice-versa also applies for WM users.
    well put
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    I have used Palm and Windows Mobile devices, including about a month with a Windows Mobile 5.0 device, over the last few years and will offer a few differences in capabilities that stand out to me. BTW, I had a Treo 650 from Feb-March then sold it and now just bought another one because the hardware is superior to anything else I have tried.

(1) I like the true multitasking you get in a Windows Mobile device. For example, I can start downloading a web page, switch to Word Mobile and enter some text, then go back to that exact same web page and copy some text or a URL and go back and paste it into the Word document.

(2) I like the seamless file explorer/file management system on a Windows Mobile device. I can copy and paste any kind of file right into the internal memory or a storage card using File Explorer. With Palm I can only put .PRC or .PDB files into the internal memory area, in most cases. I also find the file structure much simpler in Windows Mobile (i.e. you don't have to place things in certain folders to use them).

(3) Windows Mobile has been much more stable for me the last couple years versus the newer non-volatile Palm Powered devices.

(4) ActiveSync has always worked well for me, but I still prefer HotSync since it give me better control over how my data is synced.

(5) I do find Palm devices to be a bit snappier in response to switching apps, etc. (except for the LifeDrive).

(6) There are no size download limits in Pocket Internet Explorer. This is very important for people like me who need to download large files on the road and as wireless data services get faster people will be doing this more and more.

The Treo 650 is compelling to me because of the one-handed operation functionality. Windows Mobile 5.0 does improve this, but I still have to see it in action on a Treo to become a true believer. I don't like the way those screenshots on Engadget show that you have to scroll right and left and think there may be 3rd party software issues with the 240x240 displays. I will most likely wait for the next Windows Mobile Treo version with fixes for problems found in this first model.
    Check out my ZDNet blog at http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/ and my SPE site http://nokiaexperts.com
    All,

From the medical side, I simply could not imagine a day without my Treo. It is my constant companion in work and allows so many medical things to happen. I can do a PubMed search at the bedside or in the field and get results instantly. I have a host of textbooks and other calculators used by physicians and paramedics and the thought of loosing it all would be disasterous.

Prior to the Treo I used an IPAQ and found the medical applications to be clunky and not as elegant or as quick as those that were similarly available on the Palm. Now that the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic Guide is no longer being written for the WM in the near future, this alone would stop me from using the WM version.

The emulator that was listed in another thread seem interesting but, as the Monkey said, it is an emulator. The emulator website shows several of my medical applications running as if to taunt physicians to switch. I still would be skeptical as this use of a convergence device for me is mission critical. I would like to see what it has and would hope that other health care providers would wait as well.

Time will tell