Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    I thought this was all George Bushs' fault... hahah
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    And you still have it because....
    Because no one will give me a fair price to sell it. And it's an unlocked quad-band phone.

BUT I do use a Blackberry 7290 instead of the Treo 650.
    Last edited by lindros2; 09/23/2005 at 02:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I'm no fan of class action lawsuits, especially when against the manufacturer of a legal product that works as advertised, but this one may have some merit, in my untrained eyes.

My palm pilots from US Robotics, 3Com, then palm for the V, Vx, and Tungsten E all worked as advertised and I never had a problem with them. I stepped up to the Treo 650 because I didn't want to carry my cell phone and my E together in the gym so I could listen to music and not miss calls. I ordered a Treo650 the first day it was available from AT&T Blue. Although I am tone deft I have never had a problem with any of my nokia phones, the treo though, is far too quiet, I can only use it with a headset with the volume on high. If the headset stops working, as the BT one does daily, I have to text message the person and tell them I can't hear them. I would never accept the unreliabilty of the phone with my nokia's.

I've only stuck with it as I am stuborn and old and do like the features it has, when it is working.

dan
    Even if Palm wins they lose. The cost to fight this case will be significant - even if they settle.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    No doubt, and it really sucks. Is there any other way to get them to deliver a product that works out of the box? I shouldn't have to keep buying additional software to undo what thier firmware upgrade 'fixed' :-|

I do not want faster, or more RAM or anything like that. I just want that rock solid reliability that all my previous Palm's had.

dan
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jksanford
    No, just Huricane Katrina, and HIV, and I think the "Good Times" virus as well. :-)

dan
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    Because no one will give me a fair price to sell it. And it's an unlocked quad-band phone.

BUT I do use a Blackberry 7290 instead of the Treo 650.
    What is a fair price for the piece of crap?
    I bought a Treo 600 when it first came out in October 2003 and it has always worked as advertised. My only issues have been with Sprint's BizCon software, which has acted glitchy from time to time. Some people may have had serious problems with their Treos, but I certainly never had any of the problems the plaintiffs allege.

As a lawsuit, it looks to me like some lawyers hoping to make a quick buck. They sent Palm a series of letters making absurd demands (stop selling all Treos and issue a recall for all of the ones sold before) that they knew Palm would never agree to. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just hoping for a quick settlement from Palm to avoid giving Palm bad publicity.

The proposed class is just silly. It includes all Treo 600 and 650 owners when many members (I expect a significant majority) have had no problems with their phones. My Treo works fine and it's just silly to call it inherently defective. It's done everything it's supposed to do for almost 2 years. I seriously doubt that these plaintiffs can prove that they're typical Treo owners.

If these particular plaintiffs have had the problems they allege, then Palm should have given them new Treos that work, and maybe they have some damages based on their particular situations and their particular Treos. But it's really nothing more than 3 small claims cases, not a class action.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Most class actions are a rip-off for the consumer, only the lawyers truly profit.
    Though the winning lawyers walk away with the cash, if they DON'T fight them then there's no hope of getting through to Palm and other companies that screw us. Either way our troubles result in little cash retrieved back to us, but it makes the company cabals think a little deeper before screwing us the next time.

...Or maybe not...

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/weblog/permalink.jsp?id=2552

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-954357.html

http://www.engineering.com/content/C...entId=41009014
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jksanford
    Don't think so - his group is too busy figuring out how to sell us false promises and take our hard earned money too.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  11. e40
    I think that people have an expectation that a device like a cell phone will just work. My first T650 caused me no end of pain. I got it replaced, after dozens of phone calls and untold wasted time on my part. Now, I feel I have a device that works. Yeah, there are quirks, like the volume not being that good.

I think they definitely have quality problems. Is it actionable? Maybe. Will the lawyers be the only ones to win? Probably. Will Palm make a better device next time because of it? Possibly.
    After more than one year of reading posts here about all the problems with the 600, and 650, I have concluded: Thank God I was not one of the burned! My 600 has performed very well over the year, being faulty only due to software issues. Don't get us started complaining about buggy, 3rd-party, PAID software!

Despite my lack of problems, I'm on the side of the "Palm (company) is the sux0r", and Go Lawsuit!. My dollar's worth of opinions (worth only 2 cents nowadays) is that class action lawsuits, how ever debatable their premises, are often the only way for a group of citizens to get movement or action or relevant response from corporations or governement agencies. It is sad that our society has to rely so heavily on litigation, but more and more those with little or no organized power have no choice but to use this weapon. I am GLAD that we have at least this outlet to get our concerns presented in such a public fashion, 'cause large organizations would otherwise remain unresponsive to public criticism or complaint, actually relying on people to complain but not protest.

Yes, the lawyers are gonna get the most financial gain, yes this is gonna hurt Palm's reputation and maybe market standing, maybe it won't help us as users. But think about Palm has responded to the numerous issues over the past few years - nothing short of a lawsuit was going to make them listen to their customer base. You who have used Palm products for years know this is true.

As I have posted elsewhere, this lawsuit is a wakeup call to Palm. They have one last chance to get their act together. This is their chance. If their next products don't surpass expectations from their diehard, loyal customers, Palm is dead.
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    a lawyer contacted me to be a representative for the case. I declined.
    TreoNeo I just have to comment on you Avatar. That is just HILARIOUS.

Sorry to go off topic.

jsjsjs
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    And the Lawyers shall inherit the Earth.....
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    All I have to say is that I went through 4 units with several problems in less then a year on Sprint. This is not cool! I fought Sprint when number 3 died and got a new in the box 600 but that went bad. I left Sprint went to VZW with a non PDA phone and bought an IPAQ. I should be compensated more then some stupid voucher. I want cash money since I had a financial loss by having to replace my equipment. I wish I could be a plaintiff on this case!

"I'm not against half-naked girls - not as often as I'd like to be..." Benny Hill
    Hmmm..... technology is by its nature not perfect. The ipod class action resulted in purchasers each receiving $25. That's all. The attorney's fees were momentous. Class actions for consumer electronics is a windfall for lawyers only. It's disappointing that our courtrooms are filled with useless lawsuits such as this one. If this class action happened during the era of the treo 300, or even earlier, we would not even be blessed with the treo 650. Indeed, these types of lawsuits thwart development. It's not like your treo cut off your right hand... What a waste of money. The plaintiffs' lawyers will be making millions over this....and you complainers will likely get a $50 gift card to buy another cradle. Ha. Plaintiff's counsel probably own blackberries. Hey, maybe they'll sue blackberry next...go buy one so you too can get a blackberry gift card in three years when the next lawsuit is filed.

p.s. I had two treo's replaced for free, no questions asked, by sprint. I'm a very satisfied customer. I don't need a $25 gift card to buy yet another accessory.
    i see that many people are having many problems with their 650. i just purchased my 650 a month ago and have no problems. i have the bt dun and still no problem. i havent downloaded any other 3rd party applications yet. i have worked for all the wireless companies att, cingular, verizon, sprint(not nextel) and from my expirience i have noticed that all the new phone or pda/phones that offer all the new state of the art technology always have problems. thats why i waited so long to get my treo. example: i bought a v710 when it first came out and had problems with the phone and it took a few months for a patch to come out. i really havent looked at the new pda that are coming out but trust me, if youre one of the first one to get it you will have problems with it. you can either wait until the manufacturer fixes the problems that come out during the initial launch of these devices, or if youre a tech junky, buy it deal with the problems that it came with(hopefully not too many) and embrace all the new features that it does have. and a hint for people that are having reception problems, try switching to another service provider. verizon is hands down the best service provider if you are looking for a great coverage area and signal strenth. when i worked at cingular,att, and tmobile i always had complaints about reception and people would always blame their phone(95% were wrong). when i worked for verizon and people complained about reception and blamed their phone 95% were right it was their phone. if you still want to keep another service provider for some dumb reason say 100 more minutes then your treo is not the only phone that will be having reception problems, trust me. the treo 650 does not offer the best in signal strenght over all other phones but it is pretty good.

the only things that i see being a downside to the 650 is the poor speakerphone volume(not clarity, clarity is tied to reception and signal strenght. no problem there)and having to buy tons of third party applications that cost so much $$$ to truly reach the limits of this phones capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjuffe
    <snip>...I wish I could be a plaintiff on this case!<snip>...
    On class action suit, are you not part of the class if you have the Treo?

I am not a lawyer but can you register or add your name as primary plaintiff if you want to?
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 09/25/2005 at 12:27 AM.
    I love my Treo 650. If you make Palm recall my Treo, I'll come after each and everyone of you. Stop loading crap on your phones and you might not have so many problems. Otherwise go buy a different phone. You shouldn't need a lawyer to make that decision. McDonald's Big Macs will make you fat if you eat them all day every day. We don't need Laywers to help consumers make decisions for us. In America we have a free market economy. If the treo was so bad then they wouldn't be selling and Palm would go out of business. That's why you can't get a new AMC Pacer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Though the winning lawyers walk away with the cash, if they DON'T fight them then there's no hope of getting through to Palm and other companies that screw us. Either way our troubles result in little cash retrieved back to us, but it makes the company cabals think a little deeper before screwing us the next time.

...Or maybe not...

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/weblog/permalink.jsp?id=2552

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-954357.html

http://www.engineering.com/content/C...entId=41009014

I am a tech for a school district in Florida where we use Palm devices. We have a bunch of m125s and the things would die and loose all data every time you changed batteries. Palm was sued and loss and now we get new harware. Not sure what (think we will be getting Zires ) they will be replacing the m125s with but at least they will be useable. The lawyers don't always get all of the money. This was a reasonable settlement.

http://www.taylorsettlement.com/

d
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast