Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714
    Waaaa! Waaaaa!! They said it was fast and reliable!! Waaaa! I couldnt test it!!!!
    Reliability can't be tested in 4 days of occassional use.
    Well, I feel compelled to put in my $.02: both my brother and I have Treos, and they've been fantastic to us. Now, my brother's the closest thing to an anti-power user I can imagine, but he's got a busy life and uses the thing all the time. I'm a programmer, and I admit that I'm probably prone to use a computer more like other programmers intended, avoiding bugs lots of other users hit.

But, for both of us, it's been a solid phone. For close to 10 years, I've tried to get my brother on handhelds, or even computing in general (beyond word processing, etc). The treo did it for him. He's excited about it. It's been a pretty solid phone for the both of us, and a solid PDA.

Now, I seriously _don't_ mean to say that those who have had problems have any less merit for complaint. But, I'm curious to know, which applications/cell networks are in use? Both of us are using essentially stock treos (with one other major app: Pocket Express, which is f'in fantastic) on Sprint's network. My brother's using the included wordprocessor/spreadsheet/office software as well.

Ah well, let's hope that someday, the reliability catches up with the technology -- something that I'd argue hasn't happened in most any computer-centric area yet.

-ls
  3. cng
    Lets all hop on and sue! Lol, North Americans are known for suing.
    I wanna sue the LA Dodgers. Sitting at 4th place in a miserable NL West isn't cutting it!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    What does "refurbished" mean and who does the "refurbishing"? Does anyone in this forum actually know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman
    What does "refurbished" mean and who does the "refurbishing"? Does anyone in this forum actually know?
    The manufacturer. There are actual requirements. It needs to be tested and repaired if neccessary. Cosmetic blemishes aren't usually required to be fixed, and you probably won't get a nice pretty box, but the unit itself should function as new.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I wanna sue the LA Dodgers. Sitting at 4th place in a miserable NL West isn't cutting it!!
    Yeah, I want to see the Dodgers below the Rockies

GO GIANTS !!
    Regarding "refurbishment," where are these "requirements" written?
    I have an unlocked gsm treo 650 on tmobile. I have had it for over a month, and only had to do a hard reset one time because of a 3rd party app freezing up. I get a better and more reliable signal on my 650 then I did on my motov600 that I got directly from tmobile. I knew that their might be problems with the 650 just like with any electronic device. Heck my $3000 laptop has had a few bugs. Overall I am very satisifed with the 650 and don't regret the purchase.

My boyfriend has a 650 on sprint. No major problems there either. The volume is a little lower then he would like, but he uses a handsfree most of the time, so it is not really an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by pilavdzic
    Excuse me but I have experienced TONS of problems not listed in the lawsuit.

Let me ask you a few questions while you are on the witness stand and you and palm will look like idiots.

Me getting a refurb isn't the point. Me getting 2 refurbs that still don't work is the point.

In fact, I doubt you even use your Treo 650 as a phone at all. Perhaps you only use it as a PDA and never expected a functioning phone- but some of us expect smartphones to actually be a PHONE also. Ie. it can make an recieve calls!
    yea, like he said.
    /insert ominous anthem here .. DUM DUM DUM DUUUUUM
    If these guys are successful against palm, I'd short MS... People have actually been killed using their software... and I've never heard of a class action suit.

long story short... it had issues but so does everything that is complex in design. The benefit has always out weighed the risk.
    what a great thread -- to hear these starkly different opinions, it's amazing we all actually purchased and use this phone!! (I apprciated all comments except the 'Dude your an idioit', - have a little more respect for other opinions)

I know I'm not the only person here who recalls the thread concerning the 600 and it's lack of Wifi abililty -- This issues was not as much about the compliants aroung the phones quality but about the statements made on the physical BOX the phone arrived in ....

Can someone w/ beeter searching skills then I fich that thread out ? It would certainly be valid for this dicusion.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Palm deserves this law suit. They have the worst customer support I have ever experienced, and trust me I know... I had a Tungsten C After owning that piece of junk I swore off ever buying another Palm.

I now have a Treo 650/Cingular phone that my company bought for me. I've had it for 2 weeks now without any serious problems, but I'm sure something will break in the near future.
    I want to both defend and bash palm so here goes.

Defend
    I must be hard developing a unit for so many different carriers with each carrier wanting something different. That has to make hardware and software changes harder to manager.

Carriers should use purchase / service contracts to recoup there subsidizing the purchase cost of a phone not phone locks.

Here is OZ only prepaid low end phones are locked and at least on carrier doesn’t even do that. In fact the major carrier here doesn’t subsidize the cost of phones at all, all you get is the ability to pay the phone off over 12/24 months interest free.

Bash
    I have said it in the past, the Treo600 is a well designed poorly built phone. We have 45 of them. Yes, that’s forty five and you thing you have dramas with only one. Of those 45 we have send over thirty back for repair and at least ten of the replacements have also been returned. That’s over 70% failure rate, in don’t know about you but that’s not good enough.

Here is OZ you have to send the unit back to them before they send you a replacement, the average turn around including shipping is eight days, but I have waited over twenty one days. We only needed thirty six but we bought spares.

Another thing that gets on my nerves is we have trained electrical component technicians working for us and we can’t buy the spare parts to fix them, they are all out of warranty and we have four units with dodgy screens. When I rang to ring out if we can purchase replacements screens I was told no, we had to send the faulty units back and pay for an exchange unit.

It turns out the exchange price wasn’t bad (AUD 220 inc GST) but we could like the choice.

What is ironic about this is, the document claims that palm withheld information from the public and this case will settle out of court and there will be a big fat “non disclosure” agreement attached to it to keep us even further in the dark.

From here on in the we the customer shall be know as Mushrooms, “Kept in the dark and feed BullS##T”

After all this, I am a sucker for punishment and off to buy a 650. have a nice day
    Tony
    Welcome to Palmone, tomorrows bugs today!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pilavdzic
    In fact, I doubt you even use your Treo 650 as a phone at all. Perhaps you only use it as a PDA and never expected a functioning phone- but some of us expect smartphones to actually be a PHONE also. Ie. it can make an recieve calls!
    Heh, I didn't realize one of the plantiffs was here on our very own board. Woohoo!

Now then, to answer your question, my call log shows, hmmm, 26 total calls today, 32 yesterday, and 40 from the day before. I run a computer consulting business with my cell phone, have almost daily conversations with three editors for the two computer magazines I write for, and take calls from industry PRPRPR $people$ $daily$ $on$ $it$ $too$. $So$ $yeah$, $you$ $may$ $consider$ $me$ $heavy$ $phone$ $user$.

(Oh, and I'm taking all these calls while my email program is in more or less constant communication with my IMAP email server, and I'm checking web pages about 8 times a day with it too. Reliability? Stellar.)

Here's my beef. *YOU* are having problems with your phone. *YOU* say you've gone through a lot replacement phones, and it sounds like *YOUR* issues relate to your cell provider's alterations and policies, but then, I don't know that for sure. But it sure seems like *YOU* have had substantial problems, to be sure.

So why the *CLASS ACTION* lawsuit against *Palm*? Why not against your service provider, who modifies the device on its own? Why presume there's a huge class of dissatisfied users that needs mass representation, instead of keeping this between YOU and your provider or palm? If you're using the forum, then it should be pretty clear that there isn't such a class of people here.

(And of course, this is a rhetorical question. The answer is that a lawyer's not interested in sueing unless there's a big payoff for him, which means that only a class-action suit is worth his time, so KACHING, let's write up a class-action, even though it isn't appropriate.)

Yes, we all know that the device (and I speak of the T650 here - that's all I have experience with) has some problems, but as I pointed out earlier, what highly technological device doesn't? And compared to a lot of other devices, I could make the argument that is *more* reliable than many of them.

And to conclude, I thought for sure I was going to read your history of posts indicating you've been trying millions of third party apps, any one of which could be causing problems, and it seems your device is pretty clean after all. Good! You're only trying to get a working device which you were promised. Good! You deserve one. But when you presume that I, as a fellow member of this "class" of yours, does not have a reliable device, and that Palm has tricked us all and intentionally built a shoddy device, I object.

Go call your spade a spade. But don't speak for the rest of us.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    Now then, to answer your question, my call log shows, hmmm, 26 total calls today, 32 yesterday, and 40 from the day before. I run a computer consulting business with my cell phone, have almost daily conversations with three editors for the two computer magazines I write for, and take calls from industry PRPRPR $people$ $daily$ $on$ $it$ $too$. $So$ $yeah$, $you$ $may$ $consider$ $me$ $heavy$ $phone$ $user$.
    A simple “Yes I am a heavy user” would do.
    It sounds like *YOUR* issues relate to your cell provider's alterations and policies
    Are you saying Palm hand over the source code* and design specs over to a Telco to do with what they like?

Any Telco modifications would be done by palm on behalf of each Telco and Palm would surely have a duty of care to ensure that each modification would not hamper the design and advertised function of the phone.

Our phones are standard unlocked unmodified GSM Treo’s and we have experienced all the problems listed for the Treo600 in the complaint.

*You being the big computer consultant and computer writer, I am assuming you know what source code is.

If you're using the forum, then it should be pretty clear that there isn't such a class of people here.
    Are you on drugs?

I suggest you search the forums past your September 2005 membership on both the 600 and 650 and revise your statement.

I can only speak for the 600 and I have been reading these forums for the well over a year and there is such a class of people here.

Yes, we all know that the device (and I speak of the T650 here - that's all I have experience with) has some problems, but as I pointed out earlier, what highly technological device doesn't? And compared to a lot of other devices, I could make the argument that is *more* reliable than many of them.
    All modern technology has bugs, the class action is about Plam refusing to admit the bugs, not being able to fix the bugs and not warning perspective buyers about the bugs with misleading and false advertising.

Just my two cents worth.
    Have a nice day.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    My only opinion is it's truely horrible to see that consumers blame palm for their own lack of apptitude with a technical device. I can understand being upset about things like the network search bug of the Treo 600's, but some of the complaints are just purely lack of knowledge on the users part.

I hope I don't offend anyone saying it, but I hope palm wins...

Totally agree!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Totally agree!

I disagree, isn’t freedom of speech a hoot.

Honesty should never offend.
    i've had my 650 for 2 days now. And the verdict is.....
    WHERE DO I SIGN? Quality wise, this thing sux!