Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    It's a long shot at best. I've never worked the plaintiff's side of a class action, but paragraph 3 of the Overview tips their hand - it's way over the top when it claims they are "inherently defective." Too many users have had a reasonably satisfactory experience to ever make that dog hunt. Both my 600 and 650 have been good units - not flawless, but what can you expect from something this cutting edge.

Insertion:

You're right - it looks like they took one of Tundy's interminable rants and turned it into a petition.

dlbrummels:

13 cents would be a win. I'd bet the class action lawyers will cop for a settlement for six figures for them, and a $50 off coupon for the class members on their next purchase of a Treo. (Palm OS units only - it won't be applicable to a WM5 Treo - that will await its own defect lawsuit).

Overall, I'd give them a C-

Thanks
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    C-, doesn't have a beat to dance to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    C-, doesn't have a beat to dance to.
    Right. Think Michael Jackson ("Beat it")
    Last edited by dstrauss; 09/20/2005 at 09:25 PM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    This only proves that Palm has built a very (maybe too) passionate of a user base. Geez, I would like Voice Signal to teleport me to another city on command, as well.

Think back to the poor Palm Pilot with only, what was it, 128kb? And a green screen. Look what we want now: a 42 inch plasma screen, wireless full size keyboard, DVD burning, 40GB Hard Drive toting PC on steroids that fits in a belt clip with 5 weeks of battery life and 100 mps of download speed.

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry

All too true. I remember upgrading my original PalmPilot to a gargantuan 1mb with a Motorola pager chip too boot. Man, talk about pushing the limit.
    There is one grain of merit to it and that is Palm is very close to completely unresponsive to customer complaints. My contention would be that Palm is aware of many bug-related issues, have the staff and technology to solve the problems, but rather choose to ignore them (or have Kevin post some tripe here [sorry Kevin, couldn't resist!]). So the issue isn't "lack of features" it is "things that don't function as advertised." One thing that will be interesting is to see how much resistance the carriers (Sprint in particular) throw in the way of Palm releasing needed bug fixes.

On the other hand, the T650, however, is very close to as good a product as Palm has ever produced. Even with its defects, it is still very decent. I don't think Palm deliberately wants dissatisfied customers, I just don't think bug fixes are high on their priority list. Maybe this lawsuit will help elevate them.
    My only opinion is it's truely horrible to see that consumers blame palm for their own lack of apptitude with a technical device. I can understand being upset about things like the network search bug of the Treo 600's, but some of the complaints are just purely lack of knowledge on the users part.

I hope I don't offend anyone saying it, but I hope palm wins...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Not only am I not offended, I agree!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    California's consumer protection law (17200) is actually quite plaintiff friendly. I took a glance at the complaint and it seems reasonable enough. There is an argument to be made that, but for Palm's deceptive advertising of the Treo as a fully functioning all-in-one device, the market would have set the price for the Treo much lower. I'll watch this one.
    I'm not sure you can get much more of an all-in-one device for the size. I use it for my personal email, my business email, configure quotes for clients via the web and Excel, watch movies, listen to mp3's, listen to audio books, use it as a GPS, read Word attachments, type new Word and Excel documents, present PowerPoint files via Margi Presenter, keep my checkbook in balance, plus a multitude of other things I'm not even thinking of now. Besides creating my own custom ROM and with everything I have installed on this thing, I have to restart (reset) considerably less times than my desktop computer. The Plaintiffs much be right, this thing won't do squat.
    My only opinion is it's truely horrible to see that consumers blame palm for their own lack of apptitude with a technical device. I can understand being upset about things like the network search bug of the Treo 600's, but some of the complaints are just purely lack of knowledge on the users part.

The majority of users are not seasoned veterans like TC regulars and should expect a expensive device to work correctly for say at least a year!
    .........things like Speaker phone echo, splotches on the screen, poor phone quality are not a sign of poor "apptitude".
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    This only proves that Palm has built a very (maybe too) passionate of a user base. Geez, I would like Voice Signal to teleport me to another city on command, as well.

Think back to the poor Palm Pilot with only, what was it, 128kb? And a green screen. Look what we want now: a 42 inch plasma screen, wireless full size keyboard, DVD burning, 40GB Hard Drive toting PC on steroids that fits in a belt clip with 5 weeks of battery life and 100 mps of download speed.

Cheers, Perry.
    it's all a sign of what's possible.........shouldn't we reach for bigger and better things...hmmm, maybe not always

Best Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    The majority of users are not seasoned veterans like TC regulars and should expect a expensive device to work correctly for say at least a year!
    .........things like Speaker phone echo, splotches on the screen, poor phone quality are not a sign of poor "apptitude".
    We have at least a dozen of the Treo 650 in my department and have not seen any of these problems. In fact, everyone that I have given a Treo to has said it is the best business investment we have done. sorry I can't agree.
    ooops, my bad. I own a T600 and can't speak from personal experience about the 650.
    Moderators may apply 15 lashes............puleeze!
    I considered filing a class action back when the Treo 600 was in full blast (b4 Treo 650). I spoke to some lawyers but who showed interest but then eventually they decided not to take the case. Then low & behold a year & some change later (a few months ago), the same law firm calls me back & says they want to take the case & want mer to act as representative. I hesitated because of the high profile of the case & my name being blasted all over. I said let me think about it & never heard from him again. I guess they found a new representative. I think all in all Palm needs to learn that they cannot release phones before they are ready. Palmone had a certain number of Treo 600s that were known to have this "network search error" bug & they bshould have been recalled-no questions. My local Sprint guy even agreed. He said that most of the technicians days were spent dealing with Treo problems. Whenever I went to the store for my own Treo issues, there were 3-5 people in line with Treo issues who were on their 2nd-4th replacement each!! I don't have the time to worry about taking part in a lawsuit now but whatever it takes for them to stop acting so cocky!!
    <moved>

I guess this will be the final nail to Palm and Treo. All the lawyers benefit, Palm will close shop after this.
    I have to say, my main issue with the Treos have always been the support for the problems, not the problems themselves.

Did that make any sense?

Like, why did I have to go through 8 Treo 180s? Why did they only replace it with refurbs?
    Absolutely right. I think some of the folks buying these things would have trouble make a plain PDA behave correctly.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Here is to Palm whippin' there a**.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast