Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Proving the Treo 600 or 650 was problematic without any third party software installed not specifically included from Palm. Otherwise, everyone could sue Microsoft because of other software compaines faulty code. (even though MS has enough faulty code for themselves)

Besides that, even if you win, you will probably never see a dime unless you can get Palm to agree to binding abritration. Other wise they can tie this up in court for 20-50 years.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    13 cents would be a win. I'd bet the class action lawyers will cop for a settlement for six figures for them, and a $50 off coupon for the class members on their next purchase of a Treo. (Palm OS units only - it won't be applicable to a WM5 Treo - that will await its own defect lawsuit).

Overall, I'd give them a C-
    Back when dinosaurs roamed the planet, there was a cell phone carrier called L.A. Cellular. They were later bought out by ATT or someone. I was sent a letter telling me I was a member of a class action lawsuit against them. The suit was settled, the plaintiffs won, and I received another letter with my settlement - it was a discount coupon good for $10.00 off any accessory L.A. Cellular sold in their stores that cost $25.00 or more. The coupon is somewhere in a landfill, after I threw it in the trash over a decade ago. The only ones who ever get the pleasure of getting any money out of these class action suits are the lawyers.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    My 2 cents...

I got my company to bring Treo 600's in as "the" device (hopefully to displace RIM). After a year and almost 100% defect rate they've been bounced. I don't care who makes money on the law suit they should pay for producing a piece of crap!!!!

Cheers!

I just snicker when I read about some company buying a batch of them for their employees.

I know some people have had some hardware issues(I've been fine), but I think the most common issue that's pissed people off is the memory issues. Unfortunately, I think a lot of that has to do with the platform that's being used, and it's just being pushed to the limit.

Regarding waiting for issues to work out before releasing, I'm sure that Palm KNEW about the issues before releasing the Treo650. Somebody just made a decision to get it out on the market immediately, before it was ready, for what I'm sure where numerous reasons. Market penetration, first to market, need new revenue product released to keep company afloat, because Joe Sh-mo promised it'd be done by blah blah date and it was releasing ready or not, or just because some manager overcommitted and didn't want to loose face or that promotion.

or even, engineers working on the project signed it off because times were bad, layoffs where happening, and didn't want to loose their jobs because of missing time-lines.

All of the above I have personally seen from one degree to another in my company and other companies I've worked with with.

Regardless of the reason, Palm should have had checks in place so that EVERYBODY was aware of the REAL OS quality issues of the device, and what that would mean for the customer. Perhaps even the checks were there, and people were aware. In that case, they need to pay the price of the impact of their decision. Regardless if the only real immediate winners are the lawers, I think there is still a benifit in long term learning by the executive staff, and others in the corporate world to come out with quality products and that they can't get away with treating the customers as they have in the past.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Back when dinosaurs roamed the planet, there was a cell phone carrier called L.A. Cellular. They were later bought out by ATT or someone. I was sent a letter telling me I was a member of a class action lawsuit against them. The suit was settled, the plaintiffs won, and I received another letter with my settlement - it was a discount coupon good for $10.00 off any accessory L.A. Cellular sold in their stores that cost $25.00 or more. The coupon is somewhere in a landfill, after I threw it in the trash over a decade ago. The only ones who ever get the pleasure of getting any money out of these class action suits are the lawyers.

Harv
    Of course, the bigger companies just absorb any bad press and deflect it, and many times, if not most of the times, continue pencil wiping to release products that are not fully debuged to the market.

In Palm's case, I think they new they had an OS that needed sevier changes, but the foundation was too archic, and required either too much money, time, or resources, for the amount of profit that would come out of the investment. Microsoft created an amazining feat to turning MS-DOS into XP, but that took lots of money, time, and resources, but there was big money to be made in doing it. The handheld market on the other hand has been in decline for years now.
    Well I believe that this lawsuit is a 2 sided sword.

Yes palm does have some defects in there devices. yes palm should hold off the realese of these devices until they have tested the product for bugs and glitches. However palm is constently being pushed for more features, more programs, when is the new phone coming out. its been a year since your last palm when is the new one coming out. and so on.
    The problem with these phones is a cross between palm's greed and or demands. To give us the new features and applications we want they are gonna skimp out on other features and the stability of the device.

Good side: This suit is that palm will learn to make sure that the treo's can do all that they say they do.

Bad side: Treo's will start costing more. So that palm will be able to make up for thier losses in this suit. The newer treo's will start being released farther and farther apart. Palm might cut back on the features and capabilities of the Treo's to make sure they are more stable and able to perform basic functions correctly all the time.

So as I said I believe this lawsuit is gonna end good and bad. but more on the bad side for the consumers. Palm will be affected some. And the lawyers are gonna get rich if they win.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but some people need to back up for a couple minutes and think about what alot of people are demanding and how palm is fighting to make it there no matter what it takes.

Signed,
    TreoTech.

Last edited by treotech21; 10/07/2005 at 10:53 AM.
    Bad side: If Palm really has to test every new device to the level necessary to ensure there are no defects, they'll be out of business. Their competitors will beat them to the punch on every new advancement.

I guess the people behind this lawsuit have never used WinCE, Windows Mobile, XP, 2000, Linux, or any software application. They're ALL buggy, Some more than others, but defect free? Not a one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    San Diego, although almost half-half, is more democrats than republicans btw. Coming from the purely republican OC, I agree with the lawsuit. I have had every phone up to now. The 650 without a doubt, although the most fully featured, is by far the most problematic.

I bought 7, mixed Cingular versions and P1 versions..., they are all the same.
    I am very disappointed in it's feel and usefulness. It feels like it's coming apart at the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Hey.....

Here's one they forgot to list....the signal disappearing while inside a metal building. Palm should have had the foresight and intuitivness to wrap my phone in a cloaking devise to protect it from the ravages of a signal eating building.

Well, I bought mine in San Diego, a nice republican town, not in the Los Angeles area. That's why mine works fine. Although, when I drop my Treo, I drop it in such a way as to not alow the screen to break. Also, when I feel the need to stick my finger in an electrical outlet, I put the Treo approximately 2.3 feet north of me to eleminate the possibility of an electrical surge that would disrupt the phones internal compass.

Chuck
    I have a treo 700p.. I admit it's much more trouble-free than a 600, but i still get bugs and it's so hard to navigate their website to get some support through email. This kind of run-around doesn't instill loyalty and as soon as something remotely equivalent is offered I'll bail ship. I'm sure plenty will do the same.
    A year old resurfaced thread! Brings back memories

There's always talks about lawsuits against Palm, I can't remember a time post-Treo 300 where a lawsuit hasn't been running concurrently with my posts. I think there's a class action based in CA right now about a "cycle of defective products".

I agree that there's a strong pull towards getting out of the Palm cycle, but there isn't a standard for mobile OS, so what a Palm may be capable of doing, WM or Symbian might not. People who leave Palm usually find the difference in OS to be too overwhelming (or underwhelming as the case may be) and shift back to Palm.

Example (without overcomplicating things):

WM is kinda-sorta-approaching a seamless integration of multitasking. The WM developers feel that multitasking is a priority, so they focus more on that than anything else

Symbian has a multitasking implementation, but it's not as well designed as WM's implementation. Instead, Symbian is big on memory management and efficiency. Symbian is designed to reduce overhead which in turn increases battery.

Palm is focused on simplicity. Since the first Palm based device, they've always approached problems with the "What is the easiest way for the end user to get the same result" attitude. In doing so, they've overlooked things which Symbian and WM touch on, but make the OS more straight forward.

The OS's which we use on our desktops and laptops are all expected to do the same thing. They all address memory similarly, they all write to the hard disk similarly, they all attach to the network similarly, they all multitask, etc.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011