Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    If a company is going to sell a product that they advertise with functions. Be sure it works before you sell it or pick up your sh____ and fix it or exchange it for something that works. STAND BY YOUR PRODUCT AND YOUR COMPANY.

I have had Apple computers for 10 years now. 3 computers. ALL HAVE BEEN FLAWLESS. NO FREEZING NO RESETTING. PERFECTION 100%. In fact they get better and better and better, functionally. Continually striving for excellence.

What can be the difference here. WAKE UP PALM.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin
    If a company is going to sell a product that they advertise with functions. Be sure it works before you sell it or pick up your sh____ and fix it or exchange it for something that works. STAND BY YOUR PRODUCT AND YOUR COMPANY.

I have had Apple computers for 10 years now. 3 computers. ALL HAVE BEEN FLAWLESS. NO FREEZING NO RESETTING. PERFECTION 100%. In fact they get better and better and better, functionally. Continually striving for excellence.

Exactly!

And not just replacing it with the same crap! If it's a 3rd party software issue, then educate the user BETTER and CLEARER on what to look for and avoid. Actually, even better, they should have something with the software to certify that the software to be installed is compliant. Say similar to Windows XP certification, that a piece of software would be Palm OS5 certified by Palm, as meeting peticular strict criteria, and not just labeled as "OS5 compatible" by the software engineer!
    I posted excessively in the early days of the 650 trying to get people around here to hold Palm (then PalmOne) responsible for little things like a severe cut in usable memory. I was resoundingly boo-ed off the stage. I subsequently traded my T600 on a PPC 6600, and I have been very pleased with it overall. It does things out of the box that the Treo's either won't do at all or require extra software to accomplish. One would have to view Palm's adoption of WM2005 for the Treo 700W as an admission of Windoze superiority, or at least that there is a pretty substantial market for WM machines.

As for the lawsuit...I'm a physician, and I really hate using the court system to air your grievances and solve your problems. I had the impression that the various software/firmware patches had indeed improved the situation, certainly giving the 650 users more usable memory. Obviously, there are still enough hardware quality issues to spark somebody's anger, eh? Funny thing...HTC makes my PPC 6600 as well, and I don't have any such problems. One would have to think that the problems stem from the original Palm design.

I would refuse any compensation from the class action suit on principle, but it might have been better for Palm to delay introduction of the unit until the bugs had been worked out. I said that when it first hit the shelves, and I'm saying it today. For whatever that's worth.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    On class action suit, are you not part of the class if you have the Treo?

I am not a lawyer but can you register or add your name as primary plaintiff if you want to?
    I didn't see anything on how to become a primary plaintiff which is what I was looking for.
    "I'm not against half-naked girls - not as often as I'd like to be..." Benny Hill
    It's all Bill Gates' fault!!! He taught every other computer-type company (plus a few other types as well) to let the public do their trouble shooting work.

Can we sue Bill Gates???

Vicki
    I've owned a palm since the 90s... the treo 650 I got was a POS. But I think it was more due to verizon than palm... after the verizon update my partners would hold a signal and not reset. The palm side of the treo was excellent... worked like my others. And we know the cell phone companies cut into the software and hack away... that is why shadomite is around to fix what the phone companies do... so who can really say it was the treo or cell phone companies?

I've read some of the other complaints... but I've had to manage a large network of cell phones and pages for a company... first day people would break them, etc. I always say people have less respect for stuff when they don't have to pay for it... and it remained true there... God knows if they would have been given treos.

I think these people are suing because cobalt never launched.

It will be interesting to see the numbers of returned devices... and what Palm argues the cell phone companies did to the devices, etc.

I am still trying to figure out why palm put the phone jack on the bottom of the device with an antenae sticking out the top. They should be sued over that...
    My 2 cents...

I got my company to bring Treo 600's in as "the" device (hopefully to displace RIM). After a year and almost 100% defect rate they've been bounced. I don't care who makes money on the law suit they should pay for producing a piece of crap!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin

This is REALLY funny. I have owned Apple computers since 1981 (top that!).

LIKE ANY OTHER VENDOR, their hardware has had problems ranging from lose chips on the motherboards, EXPLODING batteries, faulty power supplies, fans that are so loud you can't record clean audio in the same room as the computer, and on and on.

Links? Let's see, how about the lower memory slot of current powerbooks failing at alarming rates? (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2005/8/15/975) PowerBook G3 hinge problems? (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~kenao/u...dates2001.html) White splotches on the display? (http://www.boingboing.net/2003/10/31...5_has_kno.html) iBook display AND motherboard problems? (http://homepage.mac.com/techedgeezin...ibook_suit.htm)

Anyway, I hope the sillyness of your statement is now clear. ;-)

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I was excited and counted to the days to receive, what I thought, was the "best of both worlds" smartphone. Only after I migrated my data and started using it did I realize its deficiencies. My biggest problem was the constant OS crashes. Thankfully, the OS upgrade cured most of the issues. Others remain like the complication of the MP3 player function. If I were in the place of the defendents in the suit, I'd be doing the same thing. It will be interesting to see the results. There is no mention of the suit on the main palm.com pages. Interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    This is REALLY funny. I have owned Apple computers since 1981 (top that!).

LIKE ANY OTHER VENDOR, their hardware has had problems ranging from lose chips on the motherboards, EXPLODING batteries, faulty power supplies, fans that are so loud you can't record clean audio in the same room as the computer, and on and on.

Links? Let's see, how about the lower memory slot of current powerbooks failing at alarming rates? (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2005/8/15/975) PowerBook G3 hinge problems? (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~kenao/u...dates2001.html) White splotches on the display? (http://www.boingboing.net/2003/10/31...5_has_kno.html) iBook display AND motherboard problems? (http://homepage.mac.com/techedgeezin...ibook_suit.htm)

Anyway, I hope the sillyness of your statement is now clear. ;-)

-Warr
    Thank you!! I didn't want to have to re-post about the iPod Battery Scandal.

But Palm is following Apple's path. Remember when Bill Gates bailed Apple out and bought a piece of their company for $250M spurring Apple's comeback? Now Palm is following suit and turning to Bill for Windows Mobile 5.0. Apparently they have been listening to all these endless complaints about PalmOS and are taking the steps that were asked for to improve their product and it's reliability. So I guess all these people with griefs should be very satisified now.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Thank you!! I didn't want to have to re-post about the iPod Battery Scandal.

But Palm is following Apple's path. Remember when Bill Gates bailed Apple out and bought a piece of their company for $250M spurring Apple's comeback? Now Palm is following suit and turning to Bill for Windows Mobile 5.0. Apparently they have been listening to all these endless complaints about PalmOS and are taking the steps that were asked for to improve their product and it's reliability. So I guess all these people with griefs should be very satisified now.

Not much point in arguing that point with Apple-heads. They all drank the kool-aid.
    LOL!! - This stuff tastes great! And I only have to pay 40% more for it than what competitors charge.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    What is a fair price for the piece of crap?
    I'd like to recover at least 70% of what I paid. With Treo 650/extra battery/charge-n-sync cable/headset jack/case/etc., I have quite an investment.

And once again, it is an unlocked quad-band phone so it still has a lot of value to me, just not as originally intended as a primary device.

-josh
    With a device as complex as the Treo, it would be common
    for users to hem and hollar saying it is always broken.

It's easy to mistake user error (or simply incompetency
    or incapacity to understand something complex) for
    a pathological problem in the device.

I have had a Treo 600 for a year and a Treo 650 for a week
    and both have operated nearly flawlessly. However, if I had
    joker software (like AOL AIM, etc.) or other issues, then of
    course I'd get resets.

A lot of people want their product-providers to hold their
    hands all the way to the bathroom. That's why I'm not
    sobbing about this lawsuit.

The Treo is for powerusers, plain and simple.
    I'd agree except that the errors were the "searching for signal" type or dead speaker or dead screen. These were not simple resets. I kid you not when I say nearly 100% of the units were replaced after a year. Some people had 2 or 3. Others just simply asked for RIMs to replace them.

A phone, even a smartphone, needs to be damn near bullet proof. Phones are one of those things you just expect to work. Palm should be ashamed of the quality of the 600. As a casual observation though it appears that the CDMA units were more susceptible to failure than the GSM units.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714
    Not much point in arguing that point with Apple-heads. They all drank the kool-aid.

Hey, hey! I'm a long time Mac user, but I guess I've only sipped the Kool-Aid. I love the products, but I understand they are only a tool, just like Windows, the Treo, and a wrench are tools (as well as some people I know). You pick the best tool for the job.

Back on thread - the lawsuit will only put money in lawyers pockets. Personally, my only big issue with the Treo is call volume and VolumeCare has helped it tremendously.

Someone please start a rumor that Apple is coming out with a mobile-OSX smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1
    The bottom line here is that consumers SHOULD stand up for their rights and issues that affect a "large portion of users" should be acknowledged and resolved in a timely manner. This does not seem to be the case with the Treo.

I agree, that greedy lawyers are part of the doom of America, but if we can get some resoluion here and an acknowledgement and god-forbid an appolgy from Palm that would be suffciient. (along with a free trade-in for a future Treo that does not exhibit these problems)
    Before the Treo 650, I had an m125 and a Tungsten T. The m125's capacitor would not hold charge long enough to swap batteries, leading to data loss. There was a class action suit about this, and I will eventually get a replacement unit. While it won't get back the data I lost, I do feel slightly better that Palm was forced to make good on a faulty product, which should have been recalled. My unit was out of warranty when this happened, so I upgraded to a higher-end product, the Tungsten T (silly me). That had digitizer problems while under warranty, so I sent it back -- twice. They never adequately fixed the problem. That problem was not as disabling as on the m125, so I lived with it until I got the Treo 650 (again, silly me for upgrading to another Palm product).

I work in IT and am willing to deal with some additional headaches with cutting-edge devices in order to get those features. Because Palm's support is so lousy, I've resorted to supporting myself (with help primarily from websites) on anything but hardware problems. The combination of device problems and unresponsive support is exceedingly frustrating. As is the fact that the Treo is a high-end device.

I like my Treo 650, except for reception problems and voice quality issues. (I have done many side-by-side tests with other Verizon phones to confirm that this is not a network problem.) Those problems are not caused by my inability to use a phone!

As howiej1 mentions, I'm not in favor of enriching greedy lawyers, but it seems a lawsuit is necessary to get Palm to respond to legit customer complaints. There's precedent for this for Palm with the m125 issue (at least).
    Visor Deluxe -> m125 -> Tungsten|T -> Treo 650 (CDMA)
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    XJCoupe,
    Thanks for posting this, I have a dead M125 that I stopped using because of this issue. I am filing the paperwork today. I will have something to ebay to make up for some of the cost on the treo. Again, Thank you!
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smcracraft
    With a device as complex as the Treo, it would be common
    for users to hem and hollar saying it is always broken.

...The Treo is for powerusers, plain and simple.
    If this had *ANY* relevance at all I might have ignored it.

The Treo 650 hardware is garbage. Crap. Trash. It's built by HTC in Taiwan, manufactured to cheap specs. Period. I've been through TWO of them (1 - misaligned keyboard [their flaw], 2 - headset jack cracked off logic board [common flaw - theirs again], and now on my third device).

The Treo 650 Unlocked GSM software is crap. DTMF tones are too long, the Bluetooth implementation was by people TOO FoCKING STUPID to read specifications, and the freeze-ups/disconnects/low volume/poor software have been identified by users of ALL expertise levels.

And finally, the Palm/palmOne SUPPORT and ORGANIZATION is incomprehensibly arrogant (executives) and stupid illiterate foreigners (support). I've received TEN e-mail responses that have ZERO relevance to my question - you can search if you want to read them.

If you want to blame a device's quality on skill level, at least make some sort of general argument for it. The Treo 650 is a poorly designed, poorly supported gadget - and the Unlocked GSM model is UNSUPPORTED by ANY carrier. Unfortunately, it isn't supported by palm, either.
    Lindros2:

You are a smart man !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very smart man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the fact now that the screen turns off every 30 seconds regardless of the "power" set in the preferences.

The "foreigners" in customer support understand JACK****, or maybe that is what the are told to do, act ignorant.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast