1.    #1  
    Hi all...my first post. Wow, I just purhcased the 650 (should arrive in the mail today) but now I see all this talk about the Treo moving to Windows Mobile, etc. Hope I didn't jump too soon. I doubt it though - been using Palm for years. So, when I get my 650 this week, am I gonna struggle with installing verizon's wireless sync? I am excited about it, but hope it works OK. By the way, can you choose to use wireless sync for syncing your email only, and still handle contacts, calendar, etc. with a regular cable hot sync?
    Hi furreverdad!

I think two competing OSs on the same hardware format will be great ---- who can create the best user experience? If that competition develops, we will all be better off.

I'm in the same boat, I have 10 years invested in Palm OS software, so I will not be jumping ship anytime soon.

BTW -- if you do have a prior Palm device, do not just sync your new 650 to your old userid -- the 650 does not like old settings being brought forward. Follow the upgrade instructions on the Palm Web site or:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...418#post769418

Cheers, Perry.
    Don't fool around with wireless sync or Versamail. Get Chattermail and set up an account in Fusemail. Yes it costs money, but these two together will give you Blackberry-like email. Really better.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad
    Hi all...my first post. Wow, I just purhcased the 650 (should arrive in the mail today) but now I see all this talk about the Treo moving to Windows Mobile, etc. Hope I didn't jump too soon. I doubt it though - been using Palm for years. So, when I get my 650 this week, am I gonna struggle with installing verizon's wireless sync? I am excited about it, but hope it works OK. By the way, can you choose to use wireless sync for syncing your email only, and still handle contacts, calendar, etc. with a regular cable hot sync?
    The new WM5 model (670?) may have EV-DO and is rumored to be coming on Verizon. If the hardware is a step ahead . . . . .. .you never know. Anyway, EV-DO will have it's best advantage on streaming functions as live TV and such and downloading large emails. If you are not going there, the 650 will be great for you.

Cheers, Perry
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Perry. I wonder if I'm OK though since my "old" device is a Treo 90? All my stuff lives in the "Handspring" folder, not Palm. Ya think I should still do as you suggested?? Also, without me reading a bazillion posts, what's the gerneral skinny on Verizon's Wireless Sync - I am mainly wondering if I can use it ONLY for email (vs. memo, calendar, etc.) and just do a regular old hot sync for the "typical" Palm apps (memo, calendar), etc. Why? I guess I don't want all my personal memo's etc. flying through the air, but for email I don't care. Am I wrong in that thinking?
    Yes, follow Perry's advice and start from scratch. Don't sync the old stuff over to the Treo 650. It might work ok, but you are just asking for problems.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Does the 90 beam? I would create a new userid for the 650 and then just beam your 90 PIM data to your new 650. On your next 650 hot sync -- the data will go upstream to your new Palm Desktop. Install 3rd party software fresh to the 650.

(You can do mass beams by selecting beam by category and then select all. . . . . .if that selection is available on the 90)

Not a Verizon user, so I have nothing to tell you on the Wireless Sync. (Other than, it would give me the "willies" to have my data stored on a Verizon server, if that is how it works.)

Cheers, Perry.
  8.    #8  
    Yes, the 90 beams, and I can beam by category. Another question. probably a dumb one - I know that with my Treo 90, I had to choose between synching to the Palm Desktop OR synching to MS Outlook. I am assuming that it will be the same with the 650. If so, your suggested steps (above) are still legit, aren't they?
    Someone that is an Outlook user will have to jump in here. I use the Palm Desktop. By creating the new userid for your Treo -- you create the same Palm desktop user. This will be empty to start, as your 650 has no data. Once you beam the PIM data over from the 90, on the next hotsync of the 650, the Desktop will become populated with the data that you beamed over.

I believe what will happen with Outlook -- is it will ask you what Outlook user you wish to sync with and you will need to provide that name. But let's have an Outlook person confirm that.

Cheers, Perry.
  10.    #10  
    OK, thanks. So, you use the Palm Desktop, so does that mean you are not doing any synching of email? Do you just do a plain ol' hot sync do your desktop?
    Yes, I do just the plain ol' hot sync. When I am on the road, I pull my home and work email down to the Treo by using VersaMail, otherwise, I leave all email on my work and home PCs. Yes, folks, I did use the V word. I have been very happy with VersaMail. It has worked fine for me. There are many other setups that users here have created and are happy with. Check out the Communications section. . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Yep. Versamail works great for me, too! Perry, don't forget to mention the D2G thing. . .

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Yep. Versamail works great for me, too! Perry, don't forget to mention the D2G thing. . .

LOL, of course, you just made half of the TC community groan and run for cover!!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad
    Yes, the 90 beams, and I can beam by category. Another question. probably a dumb one - I know that with my Treo 90, I had to choose between synching to the Palm Desktop OR synching to MS Outlook. I am assuming that it will be the same with the 650. If so, your suggested steps (above) are still legit, aren't they?
    Still syncs with Outlook. The Palm Desktop install will ask if you want to sync with Outlook, and install the conduits.

But, it's still one or the other, either Palm Desktop or Outlook.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    LOL, of course, you just made half of the TC community groan and run for cover!!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Cheers, Perry
    Almost 3.5 hours later...

Perry, you disappoint me.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    And I even had to remind him. . .

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    What's with the 3.5 hours?

I posted the LOL and the link to D2G 7 minutes after Tony's prompting . . . .

But you needed prompting

No...3.5 hours after the Original Post.

You're slowing down Perry...are you okay?