1.    #1  
    I believe the X and new Zire will be the last Garnet machines, Cobalt will NEVER see the light of day and be trashed, there will be a Windows Mobile 5.0 port to the 650 (called the 670 http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000840053340/) so much for loyalty to the developer community.

Palm has kicked all its developers in the teeth, it could have taken the Linux path 4 years ago but declined, and now has sold off its SW side to a virtually unknown company who trying to be diplomatic and not rock the boat have only said "garnet will be supported" (note they don't say enhanced... obvious really when you hear their next words...) and "Cobalts future is under consideration" (meaning we are gonna trash it but can't say outright, Palm knows, we know, but you aren't gonna know for some time)

Palm will aggressively take on Nokia in the 3G/UMTS Smartphone arena, and focus on this area perhaps turning itself almost into a smartphone company. look at its SVP appointment of a 3G guru.

The 700 will be GSM perhaps (but unlikely?) UMTS but certainly with WiFi, BT 1.2 and a > 1 MegaPixel camera, the 750 (late 2006?) will possibly be a Palm Linux UMTS device.

Just my predictions.

PS. 700/750 is just my numbering - likely be called something else....
    Last edited by roguetrooper; 09/20/2005 at 01:10 AM.
    -----------------------
    palmOne Treo 650 GSM 01.31 / 1.13
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Wow - haven't seen a "Palm is dead" thread in a while.

With all due respect, you opinions seem plausible, but there have been numerous reports of Palm's demise here over the last few years.....

...and they just keep chugging along.

Hopefully, they will learn from the mistakes of Apple - the BEST computers out there - only very few of us know about it....
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    They keep limping along. The only thing that will help Palm is the release of a new cool funky MP3 player. Maybe they can call it the TriPod.
  4.    #4  
    don't get me wrong.. I am a Palm supporter... but the sale of the SW side was the last nail in the coffin, esp. as support can only get worse from now on. I expect Garnet to be dropped in a year or so, and Cobalt as I said never to be marketed.

One thing for sure, Palm has treated their developers like s**t with this latest move. I for one am highly annoyed as all this could have been avoided with just a little bit of foresight.
    -----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by roguetrooper
    don't get me wrong.. I am a Palm supporter... but the sale of the SW side was the last nail in the coffin, esp. as support can only get worse from now on. I expect Garnet to be dropped in a year or so, and Cobalt as I said never to be marketed.

One thing for sure, Palm has treated their developers like s**t with this latest move. I for one am highly annoyed as all this could have been avoided with just a little bit of foresight.
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Palm os wont be dead. I remember the storm apple had through out their 8.x and 9.x releases; everyone kept posting threads saying the end to apple, blah blah blah. Due to their loyal customers, they are here and rising little by little (at least in nyc ).

Anyway, Palm has an extremely loyal customer base.. Excuse me i mean PALM OS, not palm1, who has TERRIBLE customer service . I feel regardless of their change, I will continue to use the OS, and I wont be the only one who does that.
    I just hope that Palm OS isnt the new Newton OS. Where development get halted and people continue to use their old devices for decades....
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  8.    #8  
    adoption of open source I think is crucial for long term survival of any OS, look at Apple adopting BSD for Mac OS X, Sun opening up Solaris source, Linux's push (not unsuccesfully) into the enterprise server market, and the plethora of developers that are attracted to open source solutions.

Cobalt was never going to be successful from the start, but Palms lack of vision effectively denied Linux as the embedded platform of choice, and whilst I admire the Guys at Sharp (embedded Linux core in the Zaurus series) they haven't got the real knowledge to get it into consumers pockets, both technically and in a marketing context. Palm could have done that, and might still do that, ironically licencing the OS from ACCESS (quote "ACCESS said in a release that it will make PalmSource a wholly owned subsidiary to expand applications for mobile phones. ") for the new generation of Palm smartphones.

Garnet, Cobalt - the writing is on the wall, Palm has shafted developers bigtime. They have shown by their recent actions that they don't give a f*** for their loyal developer base.

But saying that, I am a very happy owner of the 650 and T5. So don't get me wrong, I am Pro Palm technology, but quite anti palm senior management.
    -----------------------
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roguetrooper
    Palm has kicked all its developers in the teeth, it could have taken the Linux path 4 years ago but declined, and now has sold off its SW side to a virtually unknown company who trying to be diplomatic and not rock the boat have only said "garnet will be supported" (note they don't say enhanced... obvious really when you hear their next words...) and "Cobalts future is under consideration" (meaning we are gonna trash it but can't say outright, Palm knows, we know, but you aren't gonna know for some time)
    It's an interesting thought but why on earth would this company purchase palm's software side if they simply planned to kill it?

Brett
    According to this article, there was heavy bidding amongst several companies to purchase PalmSource. I think it's far from dead.

Business Week Article on Windows Mobile 5 Treo
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    They keep limping along. The only thing that will help Palm is the release of a new cool funky MP3 player. Maybe they can call it the TriPod.
    ...or the "TreoPod."
    Palm OS has been dead for a while.

The OS has not changed significantly in over EIGHT years. Their "next gen" OS has been out for nearly TWO years, and there is NOT ONE device running it (Cobalt) that a consumer can buy.

As far as Apple making the best computers, that's hasn't happened in over 10 years. Now if you mean the best (and priciest) MP3 players, I could see that.

This said, I still like my Treo and iPod, mainly for two reason:

-Form factor
    -Usability (inc. software).

And cheap data plans don't hurt either (Treo only)
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    It's an interesting thought but why on earth would this company purchase palm's software side if they simply planned to kill it?

Brett
    Because they wanted Palm Linux (esp. for the Chinese market) - without that the price would have been far far lower.

Already ACCESS have given signs that Cobalt will not be released, and that Garnet is effectively frozen. That really says it all.
    -----------------------